Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I tell you on my SW road trip everywhere I went I had someone asking questions, without fail. My friend that caravanned with me for part of it was getting annoyed... like 'not again' type of moments.

I still think the best was the guy at the Hood River Walmart that asked me like 4 times who makes a Rivian following by a 'Well I'll be' after I told him it was made in the US.

Interestingly on the road trip I encountered 2 other R1Ts. The first at a charging station in Hermiston OR, I am guessing they were employees out for some weekend fun with their mountain bikes. They didn't seem to want to talk. The second was in SF I drove by someone parked in their R1T, I gave him a honk, he was probably like what now then seen me drive by and figured it out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I tell you on my SW road trip everywhere I went I had someone asking questions, without fail. My friend that caravanned with me for part of it was getting annoyed... like 'not again' type of moments.

I still think the best was the guy at the Hood River Walmart that asked me like 4 times who makes a Rivian following by a 'Well I'll be' after I told him it was made in the US.
I get folks who are dismissive of the truck and a little confrontational about it's origin ('Made in China isn't it?') and telling them about the plant in Normal and the revival there really settles them down.

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Had a few funny ones:

• Some guy yelling across the parking lot at me "WTF, how did you get a Rivian before me?!" - I just yelled back "Luck of the draw I guess"
  • As i'm trying to back out and leave a parking space at Costco (in reverse - backup lights are on), someone parks in the middle of the driveway behind me and walks up to me, taps on the window, and proceeds to ask me a ton of questions over a couple mins. Finally he realizes what I was trying to do and says "oh were you trying to leave?", and I say "yeah that was my plan....", he gets back in his car and drives off.
  • At a winery we park go down into the cellar to try some wine, and the owner/winemaker comes up to me and says "are you the one with the Rivian?", I said "yep thats me", he proceeded to ask a bunch of questions and then spent an hour with us pouring a bunch of wine on the house.... pretty awesome.
  • Or the conversation I seem to have the most with random people in parking lots: "What is that?", me "Its a Rivian, all electric", the other person "Who makes it?", me "Rivian", them again "Who is Rivian", me "The company who makes this truck, they're built in Illinois", them "Oh, its American?", me finally "Yep, its pretty awesome, see you later!"....

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Had a few funny ones:

• Some guy yelling across the parking lot at me "WTF, how did you get a Rivian before me?!" - I just yelled back "Luck of the draw I guess"
  • As i'm trying to back out and leave a parking space at Costco (in reverse - backup lights are on), someone parks in the middle of the driveway behind me and walks up to me, taps on the window, and proceeds to ask me a ton of questions over a couple mins. Finally he realizes what I was trying to do and says "oh were you trying to leave?", and I say "yeah that was my plan....", he gets back in his car and drives off.
  • At a winery we park go down into the cellar to try some wine, and the owner/winemaker comes up to me and says "are you the one with the Rivian?", I said "yep thats me", he proceeded to ask a bunch of questions and then spent an hour with us pouring a bunch of wine on the house.... pretty awesome.
  • Or the conversation I seem to have the most with random people in parking lots: "What is that?", me "Its a Rivian, all electric", the other person "Who makes it?", me "Rivian", them again "Who is Rivian", me "The company who makes this truck, they're built in Illinois", them "Oh, its American?", me finally "Yep, its pretty awesome, see you later!"....
I can't wait to get mobbed at the Costco parking lot. I'm also really hoping that I'm the first in my neighborhood to get one so I can drive it to the park for Food Truck Friday and flex on all my neighbors.

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I get folks who are dismissive of the truck and a little confrontational about it's origin ('Made in China isn't it?') and telling them about the plant in Normal and the revival there really settles them down.
Yea, I've notices a variety of expressions in opposing traffic.

Most are bewildered wonderment. There are a few angry huffs coming from tesla drivers and mostly rusted out trucks with lift kits and exhaust systems that are worth more than the truck.

Sponsored

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

I get a least one comment, wave, thumbs up, etc. almost every day. The best was getting pulled over by a police office because he thought my temp permit plates were fake and I had stolen the truck. He had never seen or heard of Rivian before! He was cool and we ended up having a nice conversation about the truck.

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I get a least one comment, wave, thumbs up, etc. almost every day. The best was getting pulled over by a police office because he thought my temp permit plates were fake and I had stolen the truck. He had never seen or heard of Rivian before! He was cool and we ended up having a nice conversation about the truck.
He didn't think that, he just wanted a semi-plausible excuse to pull you over and talk to you.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I sort of thought the "everyone waves you down" stuff was being overhyped but... in one day driving to work the other day, I was stopped in traffic three times (people rolling down their windows at lights or flagging me down in stop & go) to be asked about the car. None of the people knew the brand but all loved the look, asked about the car (Is it electric? can it tow? is it 4wd? who makes it?) etc. One guy in an M5 followed me on the freeway for a few miles and kept goading me to rolling races (I'm not down for street racing but I gunned it for him a few times and he was fist pumping as he left).

Same day Gear Guard caught four separate folks loitering to photograph/film the truck in my office parking garage.

Same day a car enthusiast neighbor came over to ask about it ("let me see that truck you spent all that money on!" 😂). His questions are almost a model for every conversation I've had with non Rivian fans:
  1. Is that the new Hummer?!
  2. It's not? Oh, but it's GM right?
  3. Oh, OK. I love it, it's so cool!
  4. Wow the interior is great
  5. Wow the gear tunnel is cool
  6. It's how fast?
  7. Who makes it?
  8. Yeah but which company owns Rivian?
  9. Yeah but is it Ford or GM or who owns it?
  10. Oh really? Where are they based?
  11. Yeah but where are they built?
  12. Oh really?
  13. I love it!

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I wonder how RJ and spouse get anything done driving an R1S around town. What is that? How did you get that? You do what you say?

I suspect they have alternate transportation.

Sponsored

MaxMike77

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford expedition, jeep, tesla model three
Occupation
nerd
Good to know that the rest of the Rivian community is as crazy as I am- it has been really funny reading this thread. Couple weeks ago I spotted a Glacier White R1T, the first R1T I've ever seen in person. I gasped very audibly, couldn't see it well as I was driving past.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
There are a few angry huffs coming from tesla drivers and mostly rusted out trucks with lift kits and exhaust systems that are worth more than the truck.
I am interested in hearing about those stories too even if they are in minority. I am fairly sure both positive and negative reactions die down by the time I get mine but it interesting to read about them. I had to wait for a glacier white owner to walk away so I can take my time ogling her R1T in the parking lot. I am sure one of you have my video in the cloud somewhere.

If you could only own two cars, they'd be...
R1S and AM 4.0

Rivian R1T R1S What’s your best “OMG is that a Rivian?!?” sighting moment? 1652391824263
Sponsored

Last edited: