First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
What a garbage article. Toyota (who has the most poorly defined and implemented EV strategy of all manufacturers) makes a general statement about their EV adoption beliefs, and Motley Fool singles out RIVIAN as being in trouble because of Toyota's beliefs. Didn't mention Tesla or any other EV brand, just Rivian.

I have never had any respect for the MFers, this continues to confirm why. I am intentionally posting the text and not linking to this garbage.

"Automotive investors have been caught up in the whirlwind of electric vehicles (EV) and potentially self-driving vehicles for some time. To be fair, it looks to be a very likely future, at least at some point. That bodes well for pure EV players such as Rivian (NASDAQ: RIVN), which has made a name for its high-quality R1T and R1S vehicles.

But recently, the chairman of a major global automaker had something to say, and it could scare already-skittish EV investors. Here are the details.

Enter Akio Toyoda
To add some context to the remarks by Akio Toyoda, chairman and former CEO of Toyota Motor Corp., his company has been facing pressure for being left behind in the race toward electrification. Toyota, one of the world's largest automakers, has been slower to transition to EVs compared to major competitors that have multibillion-dollar plans for factories and lists of upcoming EV launches.

In his key points in a company presentation, he said he believes that EVs will account for only 30% market share, no matter how much progress battery electric vehicles make. Toyoda added that the rest of the pie will be divided among hybrid electric vehicles, fuel-cell electric vehicles, and hydrogen engines, with combustion-engine cars definitely remaining.

The comments back up Toyota's approach in transitioning to EVs. The company has opted to pioneer hybrid vehicles and hydrogen technology, and has announced a strategy to develop new combustion engines as well.

What happens to Rivian?
If Toyota is right, that would seriously shrink the potential pie for Rivian, which is currently a pure-EV company focused on trucks and SUVs. But even in the worst-case scenario, if Rivian's R2 vehicles are as well received as its R1 vehicles, demand will exist in a very robust U.S. truck and SUV market.

But the counterargument is that Toyota is falling behind, and that EVs will explode well beyond 30% market share. Already Norway has reached 82.4% EV market share in 2023. Sweden, the Netherlands, and China have hit 32%, 24%, and 24%, respectively."
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

RIP Rivian specifically. All the other EV manufacturers will be fine though.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Itā€™s actually not a click bait ā€˜articleā€™ at all. All Motley Fool and the like are is opinion blogs.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Yahoo and Motley Fool still exist?

I haven't thought about Motley Fool since they were telling everyone to go long on Aeropostale stock.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Itā€™s actually not a click bait ā€˜articleā€™ at all. All Motley Fool and the like are is opinion blogs.
When it shows up in Google News like this, it sure smells like clickbait to me.
Rivian R1T R1S Yahoo/Motley Fool Clickbait Article - Don't give them a click 1706544042420

Rivian R1T R1S Yahoo/Motley Fool Clickbait Article - Don't give them a click 1706543958370

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

When it shows up in Google News like this, it sure smells like clickbait to me.
1706544042420.png

1706543958370.png
Oh I agree itā€™s clickbait just not an article or news.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's not even just Yahoo and MF repeating Toyota's BS. There are tons of articles all throughout the automotive and financial media who "report" on Toyota's anti-EV predictions as if they are made in good faith, and all of them fail to mention that Toyota was/ is actively lobbying congress AGAINST all types of EV adoption. By lobbying I mean actually lobbying of congress plus political donations to those fighting against EV adoption.

IMO if you predict something publicly that you are trying behind the scenes very hard to make happen (tank EV adoption in this case), then you are the type of sneaky scum that I no longer want to do business with. And shame on the media for ignoring that part of the story.

It all makes sense if you think about it. Big leaps forward in technology and more radical designs are literally the opposite of what Toyota does well. Their success has been built on stretching the same old designs out for decades. They are simply protecting their "lane" by fighting progress.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
As a former Toyota truck owner (and there are dozens of us here - dozens!), I do wonder how concerned they are that Rivian is eating into their market.

Tundra and Taco owners are a little adjacent to the Ford and GM crowd, at least where I live.

The reason I pulled the trigger on my Rivian is because Toyota failed to deliver a PHEV truck, otherwise I would still own a Toyota.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
As a former Toyota truck owner (and there are dozens of us here - dozens!), I do wonder how concerned they are that Rivian is eating into their market.

Tundra and Taco owners are a little adjacent to the Ford and GM crowd, at least where I live.

The reason I pulled the trigger on my Rivian is because Toyota failed to deliver a PHEV truck, otherwise I would still own a Toyota.
+1 on that exact reasoning for me.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Used to be the same for me but now that they have actively tried to get anti-EV stuff thru congress I will never buy a Toyota again in my life. Even if they come out will and EV Tacoma or 4Runner.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Used to be the same for me but now that they have actively tried to get anti-EV stuff thru congress I will never buy a Toyota again in my life. Even if they come out will and EV Tacoma or 4Runner.
Iā€™m with you. The active lobbying against EVs was unforgivable for me.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
So Toyota wants rampant global warming. Good to know.
Sponsored