Sponsored

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Pretty sad that you have to go through all this to just get the pad to work. Wonder if just a base replacement to something that keeps the phones on each side would fix the problem
Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Looks good - I too don't have my R1S yet (sOOn) yet I'd love to have one of these charger brackets. But I have the even larger 12 Pro Max (and a company 13 Pro Max) though I have slimmer ORIbox bumpers. Maybe I should bite the bullet and buy a 3D printer...what's the maximum dimension of your printed piece?

IRun

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Model 3
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

In for the dual group buy.

Jafresh

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE LG, 2023 R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
Concrete Polisher

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Awesome job, definitely interested in the dual! Have you been able to measure the max wattage an iPhone can pull?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Civic, EX-L, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I may see if I can source the components here in bulk for a group buy or similar. If you're interested, please post below. Right now, everything here is pretty hard to come by, and the posi-taps are stupid expensive if you're looking for lower quantities.
That's it. Happy to answer any questions!
You should source enough parts to make a LOT of them if you plan to sell them because the demand will be high. I'm thinking that you'd easily sell out 100.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I also have a 12 Pro Max and have the same question.
Looks good - I too don't have my R1S yet (sOOn) yet I'd love to have one of these charger brackets. But I have the even larger 12 Pro Max (and a company 13 Pro Max) though I have slimmer ORIbox bumpers. Maybe I should bite the bullet and buy a 3D printer...what's the maximum dimension of your printed piece?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
You should source enough parts to make a LOT of them if you plan to sell them because the demand will be high. I'm thinking that you'd easily sell out 100.
So, below are pictures of the Mk 3 shelf. New in this version are larger opening and supports so the charging pad can be positioned forward and backward to accommodate smaller and larger phones.

Earlier, I used the term slide and that isn't quire correct. The pad will have to be basically placed in the correct position before the rubber mat is installed on top of it as there isn't enough magnetic power to pull the pad to the correct location when factoring in the resistance of the rubber mat it would effectively slide against.

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0439.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0440.JPG

I'd consider the concept viable and the design workable at this point. That said, I need to do some tweaking to get it to a point where I would post the design and/or actually sell any.

The posts in particular are something that I need to address as while they work, they are not as structurally sound as what I want them to be. I Initially chose this design to validate the height that is needed. I'm thinking the next design might go to multi-piece design with larger looping legs that effectively snap into the plate portion or are screwed in. (much to the disappointment of Sandy Munro 😁)

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0441.JPG

Interestingly, I think having the larger opening is actually beneficial as without the hard surface underneath the rubber mat, it's not as rigid, and that slight bit of give accommodates the camera bump somewhat. It also makes managing the cabling underneath a bit easier, which is nice.

I also have a second converter, charging pad, and more posi-taps arriving tomorrow, and I'll hopefully determine how well it works / hot it gets with two phones going full bore outside in 90F heat (33C). I'm pretty set on tapping into the red/black from the first converter as the Rivian wiring is just so tiny.

So here is where the bad news is - I've submitted the current design to a few services to price on getting it printed in bulk (50ish units) and I'm looking at $40+ per unit. Combined with the pads, converters, and posi-taps, we would be looking at over $100 for a dual unit setup if you're not able to print the shelf yourself. I've not heard back on a bulk purchase of either the pad or converter yet, so that may come down a bit. On one hand, fixing what I would consider a Rivian design flaw should require anyone to spend $100. On the other, we're talking $80k+ trucks and $100+ comparably isn't expensive.

Anyway, mixed bag I guess. I am however loving my sunglass holder, which I've already posted the design for. 😁

Rivian R1T R1S Working Magsafe / Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Pad Install! - DIY Writeup IMG_0359.JPG

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
In for Dual and happy to make payment in advance.

Really nice work @RWerksman thanks again.

Your new Rivian gear company should be named “ItWerksMan”.
Sponsored

Last edited: