RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Like many people who have been receiving Rivians, I've been looking for a space to store a set sunglasses that I generally keep in the car. It's was quickly apparent that there wasn't a good place and that I was going to have to be creative. I started with experimenting with 'off the shelf' commercial solutions and eventually ended up resigning myself to 3D printing something. None of the publicly available options worked well, so I designed my own, and I want to share it with you all.

I used this design from 2018 as inspiration - I printed it in my Model S (both of them) and it worked quite well. I initially thought I was going to just remix it, but that turned out to not really be feasible as they were just too different. I ended up creating a brand new design that retains some of the geometry and strain relief of the original. It looks like this:

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod Capture.PNG

It's designed to slip between the headliner and overhead button / IT camera housing module. It wraps around the end of the headliner for structural soundness and uses the retaining clips keeping the overhead module in place to stay in place. Its just wide enough to fit into the gap between the clips left and right to stay put from that direction as well. It's just thick enough to be very structurally sound while being thin enough to be pliable so you can insert your glasses and not deflect the overhead module plastic.

Here is what it looks like installed:

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod IMG_0363.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod IMG_0362.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod IMG_0359.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod IMG_0361.JPG

From my limited testing, it works beautifully. Installation is super easy as well - there are four clips that hold the module in place, toward the corners. Just pry the rear two most clips open and insert the sunglasses holder, remembering to wrap it around the headliner. Clip the module back in and your done in less than 60 seconds.

From a printing perspective, it's designed to be made in something like PETG or ABS as PLA will become too soft in the heat. (I've used PETG in the past with acceptable results) It can also be printed on it's side with a brim or raft to ensure adhesion.

Ideally, I'd like more people to download, print it, and provide feedback. If a bunch of people are interested in it, I may be willing to look into a limited production run from a 3D printing service or similar.

It's available now on Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5394594
Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I was thinking to modify my glasses with a loop to hang them...

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod 1653484107687

...I think your idea is better...

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Great work! I don’t have a 3D printer, but will find one to try this out.

just round the corners and find the headliner material and it would look stock.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

As someone who doesn't have a truck yet do the glasses not fit well in the pockets in the seat? That's where I was planning on putting mine anyway.

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
@RWerksman slightly off-topic but what 3D printer do you have? I've been thinking of buying one.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
As someone who doesn't have a truck yet do the glasses not fit well in the pockets in the seat? That's where I was planning on putting mine anyway.
They totally fit in the pocket but reaching down there to get it is a pain. Granted I am tall and have a way too much dad bod but still...

Seriously though, my only major complaints about the truck are as follows.

1. No Carplay - Multiple times the nav sent me to the wrong place and I want Google/Waze maps. The nav search likes to find things using Yelp. Yelp is not that accurate.
  2. Easy place to secure sunglasses
  3. Charging pad is fickle (There are workarounds for this) I basically don't use the charging pad because it is too hard to keep a phone on the charging spot.

Thats a pretty short list of things that aren't "defects" The truck is killer and I have no regrets.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Hope someone designs a sleek, rubberized tray that can attach to the dash pad.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Great work! I don’t have a 3D printer, but will find one to try this out.

just round the corners and find the headliner material and it would look stock.
Imitating the design language of the overhead module is a great idea. I'll take a look at that. In my experience, I don't look up there enough to warrant camouflaging that small bit of plastic with alcantara or similar.

@RWerksman slightly off-topic but what 3D printer do you have? I've been thinking of buying one.
I have an Ender 3 V2. Its nice, but 3D printing is so finicky in general. I've rebuilt carborators for my BMW motorcycles in the past, and I find dialing these into be more a headache than that. PETG material specifically is tough to adhere to the bed.

That said, it's working now, so I've got that going for me, and I'd generally recommend it.

ksujeff99

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
I have an Ender 3 V2. Its nice, but 3D printing is so finicky in general. I've rebuilt carborators for my BMW motorcycles in the past, and I find dialing these into be more a headache than that. PETG material specifically is tough to adhere to the bed.

That said, it's working now, so I've got that going for me, and I'd generally recommend it.
I just bought (less than two weeks ago) an Anycubic Mega S for $150 directly from their website. It's about the same quality as the Ender 2 V2. I agree that it can be frustrating to dial these things in. But suprisingly I'm getting good prints right out of the box with little fuss - just leveled the bed and started printing. I already purchased some new fans and new controllers to reduce the sound level a bit. It's a fun toy, but has already been useful in printing some designs from Thingiverse and Printables. As example I needed the tool to remove a Sharkbite fitting. Rather than driving to Home Depot I printed one at home.

One thing to note, if anyone wants to print one of these sunglass holders and doesn't have a 3D printer, head to your local library. Most have some sort of maker space with free/low cost 3D printing available.

Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I have an Ender 3 V2. Its nice, but 3D printing is so finicky in general.
I'd add a vote for Prusa, have an i3 MKS, Don't have much trouble with PETG adhesion, do always use hair spray on the print bed before printing w PETG. Its quite a bit more expensive though, $750 for the kit, $1000 ready to use. I know a LOT of people have Ender printers, likely plenty of user guidance around.

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod SG holder bottom

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod SG holder on end

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod S G holder as printed

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Like many people who have been receiving Rivians, I've been looking for a space to store a set sunglasses that I generally keep in the car. It's was quickly apparent that there wasn't a good place and that I was going to have to be creative. I started with experimenting with 'off the shelf' commercial solutions and eventually ended up resigning myself to 3D printing something. None of the publicly available options worked well, so I designed my own, and I want to share it with you all.

I used this design from 2018 as inspiration - I printed it in my Model S (both of them) and it worked quite well. I initially thought I was going to just remix it, but that turned out to not really be feasible as they were just too different. I ended up creating a brand new design that retains some of the geometry and strain relief of the original. It looks like this:

Capture.PNG

It's designed to slip between the headliner and overhead button / IT camera housing module. It wraps around the end of the headliner for structural soundness and uses the retaining clips keeping the overhead module in place to stay in place. Its just wide enough to fit into the gap between the clips left and right to stay put from that direction as well. It's just thick enough to be very structurally sound while being thin enough to be pliable so you can insert your glasses and not deflect the overhead module plastic.

Here is what it looks like installed:

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

From my limited testing, it works beautifully. Installation is super easy as well - there are four clips that hold the module in place, toward the corners. Just pry the rear two most clips open and insert the sunglasses holder, remembering to wrap it around the headliner. Clip the module back in and your done in less than 60 seconds.

From a printing perspective, it's designed to be made in something like PETG or ABS as PLA will become too soft in the heat. (I've used PETG in the past with acceptable results) It can also be printed on it's side with a brim or raft to ensure adhesion.

Ideally, I'd like more people to download, print it, and provide feedback. If a bunch of people are interested in it, I may be willing to look into a limited production run from a 3D printing service or similar.

It's available now on Thingiverse - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5394594
Really cool Rob! Could it be even more narrow and rounded at the edges? I don’t think it needs to be so wide at the entrance point to hold the glasses. More shaped like Bert’s head from Sesame Street. Nice job!

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So, I've been using this for about a month now, and I'm absolutely positively loving it - I think it's the perfect sunglass holder. Sunglasses audibly 'click' in and pull out easily while NOT moving at all even when going offroad. It also fades into the headliner as it's black on black.

Rivian R1T R1S Sun Glasses Holder Mod ezgif.com-gif-maker

Really cool Rob! Could it be even more narrow and rounded at the edges? I don’t think it needs to be so wide at the entrance point to hold the glasses. More shaped like Bert’s head from Sesame Street. Nice job!
I could, but that would mean that someone would need supports when printing it. In practice, the more square design works well as you and slightly press down on the very and to pull the holder away from the headliner of the truck just enough to pop the glasses out.

KiloV

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5 Cabriolet, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Executive
That's where I put my sunglasses. They fit just fine.
Sponsored