Sponsored

pmp6

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Cayman GTS, 2015 Forester, 2017 Sprinter
Welp, my dudes, I've done it. I have successfully replaced the POS wireless charging pad with a Magsafe / Magenetic Qi chaging pad that functions correctly. It's 100% powered using the existing lead in the wireless charging pad cavity and does not require using the USB-C ports in the center console.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

The phone in the video is an iPhone 13 Pro with an Otterbox Lumen case on it. In addition to charging, it also holds the phone in location reasonably well. The solution is basically a combination of a few different parts:
  1. A third-party Magsafe / Magnetic Qi charger. This charger was selected because it holds (much) stronger than the Apple OEM part and it has a comparibly small pigtail with a USB-C female port on it.
  2. A 12-24V to 5V DC-DC converter. This takes the 12v raw power from the truck and steps it down to the point where the charging pad can accept it. It also has a USB-C male end and is QC 3.0 which means that it puts out more than 3A, which is a requirement for just about any wireless charging pad.
  3. A 3D printed shelf that I designed which holds the charging pad to the same level as the the POS charging pad. This is important so that the Rivian rubber mat installs as normal.
  4. Two posi-tap connectors to splice into the stock wiring with no adverse effects.

On the inside, it looks like this:
IMG_0434.JPG

(Please ignore the finish on the top of the plate - it's printed in PETG and I unfortunately have to use glue to get the first layer to adhere to my glass build plate.)

IMG_0436.JPG

In doing this, I've learned a few things:
  • Either the plate or the pad need to be able to slide forward and back to account for the different thicknesses of cases. For instance, I have a thin case on my iPhone and my wife has the Otterbox. My current design necessitated that I cut the deck of the 3D printed plate to account for the larger phone. That's no bueno.
  • Tapping into the POS pad wiring was surprisingly difficult due to the very small gauge of the wires they uses. (26? 28?) They are quite tiny considering the significantly higher wattage that POS pad pulled. I had to be very mindful when screwing down the posi-tap as the wires really wanted to just bend out of the way.
  • Wiring is a problem, from a space perspective. I'm glad I chose to use these items instead of a 'on the desk' pad with a 6 ft cable or whatever. The limited depth of the cavity and the bulkiness of the cables wouldn't go together well, especially considering the shelf just sits in there.
  • Heat doesn't seem to be an issue at all. In my testing (YMMV) everything was room temperature or very, very slightly warm. I don't see a need for a fan like what was in the old POS pad.
Going forward, I have a few plans:
  1. I need to revise the design of the 3D printed shelf so it can adjust for smaller and larger phones / cases.
  2. I need to create a second design for a solo charger, not the dual variety that I've printed for myself.
  3. I'm going to wire in a second pad and do a stress test with warm temperatures out doors charging two phones at the same time.
  4. I may see if I can source the components here in bulk for a group buy or similar. If you're interested, please post below. Right now, everything here is pretty hard to come by, and the posi-taps are stupid expensive if you're looking for lower quantities.
That's it. Happy to answer any questions!
I am totally interesting in the group purchase. Thank you for your dedication and hard work!
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Dual

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
I’m in for the dual charger. Thanks!

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I don’t even have my Rivian yet but I’ll buy a dual.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Put me down for a dual!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Current design of the shelf. It's printing now. Hopefully it will work well.

Screenshot 2022-06-24 201559.png

Awesome!!

If you're not planning on producing/selling your design, would you mind uploading the .stl to thingiverse? It will be for my own personal use, I will not produce or sell copies.

Jayhox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS
As Sgt mentioned above, I don't have a truck yet either, but would be interested in either the single or dual.

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

We’re all interested. Even us still waiting on our truck/suv.
The charging pad in my Raptor is also a pos and everybody complains about it.

bkswede

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 M50i 2017 Camaro ZL1 1963 Chevy II
Occupation
CPA
Interested as well - great job!

R1TMDSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5, GMC Yukon XL
Definitely interested in purchasing this.

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
Interested in the dual !
Sponsored