tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I went in for the service and complained about the wind noise. The tech said it's normal and there is nothing to repair...??????????????

I had a good argument about it, but he insists that all EVs are like that, including Tesla.

I am not sure what to do here.. It's quite noticeable wind noise after 50+ mph, and i don't know how this is "normal"....
Sponsored

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Mine was at SC in Atlanta last week for missing rivets and wind noise. Probably wouldn't have even complained until heard the mild increase in wind noise on driver's side greater than 65 mph and saw reports from so many others. I did find that the weatherstripping gasket around the door on the driver's side wasn't adhered to the door with adhesive for about 6 inches on the front edge of the door and had them fix this. Other than that, they said "it's a truck, and we drove others, and all have the same level of wind noise". In other words, within specs.

Will see if I notice any difference when I get it back after having the door gasket attached properly and if any of the rivets have fallen outšŸ¤ž
lol. I just heard the same thing.. and noticed that you went to the same service center.. :)

Atlanta service center must be trained to handle it this way?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm in the wind noise club as well. You can see the defects in the seals easily.
It's both the vertical strip and the little expanded foam bit at the base. The passenger side looks tight and flush and filled.

20220527_095520.jpg

20220527_095551.jpg
Sad. ... Funny, you be the judge: that shiny black vertical trim piece is held in place by double sided tape.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I get wind noise on left sideā€¦I know it looks minor but you can tell the left side isnā€™t as tight as the right passenger side. Mobile service is gonna come fix it next month.

Rivian R1T R1S Wind Noise A7329B1A-D9F2-46D0-8087-3950CB6DC381

Virgil T2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, CR, 22s, 2017 Model X, R1S preorder
Took mine to the Costa Mesa Service Center, Saturday morning, Moe informed me they now have a bulletin to check the little fixed glass windows and replace if necessary with a new revised part number. She told me this before she looked at my reason for being there, which was wind noise from those fixed quarter windows! This will be the third time itā€™s been in for this issue. I was extremely happy to hear they have an updated part now and hopefully it will correct this issue for good.

Sponsored

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sad. ... Funny, you be the judge: that shiny black vertical trim piece is held in place by double sided tape.
The service guy 100% fixed my issue by applying what looked like electrical tape to the inside of the plastic support piece the trim adheres to. Basically this made it expand outwards and the seal could do its job.

007cth

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Occupation
worker
Do you have pics of the tape and placement?
The service guy 100% fixed my issue by applying what looked like electrical tape to the inside of the plastic support piece the trim adheres to. Basically this made it expand outwards and the seal could do its job.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Alas, I do not! I should have taken some. He basically made the plastic piece wider using this method.
My tech replaced the entire weather stripping and didn't help...not sure why he didn't try that. The weatherstripping on that black trim piece still isn't hitting the window snugly.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
On my truck they adjusted both driver doors, replaced the horizontal window trim on the outside, replaced the vertical trim piece by the small triangle window and added foam. I havenā€™t driven it on the highway yet, but so far it seems much much better.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
On my truck they adjusted both driver doors, replaced the horizontal window trim on the outside, replaced the vertical trim piece by the small triangle window and added foam. I havenā€™t driven it on the highway yet, but so far it seems much much better.
Let us know what it sounds like above 65. Thanks for posting. Definitely don't think all that was done.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Let us know what it sounds like above 65. Thanks for posting. Definitely don't think all that was done.
Will do.

Wind noise wasnā€™t even on my list of to do items when I dropped the truck off at the service center, so I was shocked (and impressed) when they told me they did all of that.

The driver door is much much tighter now than it was beforeā€¦.needs a little more force than before to close the door.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I just drove on the highway with a slight crosswind. The truck is definitely quieter than it was before. Itā€™s not dead silent, but Iā€™m fine with how it is now. I had the music off to just focus on the wind. My truck used to be horrible in any cross wind, even at 40mph. Long story short Iā€™m satisfied with my current wind noise level.

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
The mobile unit is set for tomorrow morning to check my wind noise as well ( also calibrate for the tires I bought from you). Thanks again Rousie13 and I will suggest they do the same as on your truck.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Sucks. Atlanta service guys simply said it's normal.. I don't know how to convince so they can do those electrical tape fix.
Sponsored