First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Honeywell
It's just a dumb truck. Nav is trash. Now my parking and lane keep sensors are on the fritz so no auto pilot.
Day to day horrible to own
Lock unlock doesn't work well -
Frequently get in the truck with phone as key to then be told by the truck I need a key.....
Alexa configs constantly reset.

To the trolls - I paid a lot for this truck I expect the basics to work. I don't want responses saying if you don't like it get rid of it..... I'm open to doing that - If anyone with knowledge of how long these sorts of things take to sort out and can provide insight I'd appreciate it.
If it will take more than another 6 months to fix this "dumb truck" then I will trade it for anything but rivian and miss out on the 900hp I never push anyway.
But if less than 6 months to fix the stupidity-
Add car play/AA or fix nav
Fix phone as key
Voice to text
Then I can wait. Love the interior, ride quality, versatility, and fuel savings- just horrible day to day software experience.
Timelines anyone?
Also - where the crap is my manual tonneau cover? lol.
Is anyone else dealing with this stuff or is my truck a lemon? Got it December.
Sponsored

Brian Goodwin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Six Miatas, Fiat 124, Dakota V8, Ridgeline
Occupation
Fun Car Parts
I share some of the same complaints. Overall I like it enough to hang in while they keep sending out updates. I have found the updates help, owned mine a lot longer than you have and the progress from what I took delivery of to now is a good distance down the road to making it right. Given that software is your biggest complaint, I say stay a few more months and see what the updates get you.

I find the driver+ stuff to be poorly sorted, the Nav is so much worse than my phone that I just use the phone for that. The auto emergency brake function annoys me if I really try to hustle it through gaps (much smoother AEB in my other vehicles). The cruise control doesn't work well in my experience, it likes to slow down for the car in the NEXT lane over, but the lane holding has improved a lot.

The key unlock/lock is annoying for sure. I gave my 80 year old Dad an old Dakota this year that was made in 2007 and the rather ancient key fob with original battery will still unlock and start that thing from 200 yards away yet the Rivian has issues from more than about 10 feet. I don't know if that particular item will get much better.

Meanwhile, updates have massively improved function of the entertainment system for me, and the suspension operation, and more. Love the fact it sits down for easy entry and exit now when I put it in park, that wasn't there when new. The functions we can do from our phones keep getting better and better, like control over charging limits, heating and cooling seats and venting windows, etc.

Last edited:

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It's just a dumb truck. Nav is trash. Now my parking and lane keep sensors are on the fritz so no auto pilot.
Day to day horrible to own
Lock unlock doesn't work well -
Frequently get in the truck with phone as key to then be told by the truck I need a key.....
Alexa configs constantly reset.

To the trolls - I paid a lot for this truck I expect the basics to work. I don't want responses saying if you don't like it get rid of it..... I'm open to doing that - If anyone with knowledge of how long these sorts of things take to sort out and can provide insight I'd appreciate it.
If it will take more than another 6 months to fix this "dumb truck" then I will trade it for anything but rivian and miss out on the 900hp I never push anyway.
But if less than 6 months to fix the stupidity-
Add car play/AA or fix nav
Fix phone as key
Voice to text
Then I can wait. Love the interior, ride quality, versatility, and fuel savings- just horrible day to day software experience.
Timelines anyone?
Also - where the crap is my manual tonneau cover? lol.
Is anyone else dealing with this stuff or is my truck a lemon? Got it December.
Have you filed any tickets for your issues?

I've only experienced two of the issues you have. Lock/unlock doesn't work well, and recently when I get in it asks for a key until I turn bluetooth off and on a few times.

What problems do you have with Navigation? Nav in my truck is close to being on par with google maps.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Telling you to sell it if you don’t like it is not trolling you. It’s common sense. You bought a brand new truck from a brand new manufacturer. I understand that issues like those you describe are frustrating but no one can tell you “how long” it will take to “fix” all the things you hate about your truck. You are either willing to work through these things or you are not.

Calling your truck “dumb” when many of the things on your list are matters of preference is just childish. Call Rivian. Then grow up.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Sounds like you need to separate functional deficiencies and expectations

For example - Nav is fine for me. Some people hate it. I am not one of these people. Not having Carplay is annoying to me, but not a deal breaker. It is for some people. But it’s advertised as not supporting that feature, so it’s a little bit of shouting at clouds. Totally cool to want it, though. Just no guarantees we’ll get it.

D+ not working due to sensors is a warranty issue. Get it sorted with Service. They’re incredibly responsive.

The Tonneau thing is deeply annoying, but I’d rather have it work properly than get a half-assed fix. Totally valid to be unhappy over.

I’m not gonna tell you to keep or sell your truck. I adore mine - warts and all.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Telling you to sell it if you don’t like it is not trolling you. It’s common sense. You bought a brand new truck from a brand new manufacturer. I understand that issues like those you describe are frustrating but no one can tell you “how long” it will take to “fix” all the things you hate about your truck. You are either willing to work through these things or you are not.

Calling your truck “dumb” when many of the things on your list are matters of preference is just childish. Call Rivian. Then grow up.
“But, bruh, it’s cool to complain”

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
OP
OP
Bigz3393

Bigz3393

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Honeywell
Have you filed any tickets for your issues?

I've only experienced two of the issues you have. Lock/unlock doesn't work well, and recently when I get in it asks for a key until I turn bluetooth off and on a few times.

What problems do you have with Navigation? Nav in my truck is close to being on par with google maps.
Exhibit 1 attached -- the truck constantly gets us "almost there" seriously it's 50% chance we get there.
Also 50% shot that Alexa works.
I'm not taking about her recognizing I'm talking.
Shell say she's getting the directions..... And then nothing happens .... This is half the time.

Rivian R1T R1S Why I can't recommend this dumb truck as of 4/7/2023 20230406_180444

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
Totally agree with some of the points you make, but (for now) I’ll hold onto it because I do see improvements. My issues are more manufacturing and logistics related than technology. Panels, windows, 12v plugs, winch ready bumper, powered tonneau, spare tire etc.

Teddy184

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Occupation
retired
I had my concerns as a first year vehicle but I got mine in August with an auto cover and the only issue I've had is Inability to use Alexa which is no big deal to me. Also met an owner shortly after I received mine. He had 20,000 miles on his and the only issue he had was a charge port malfunction that was rectified. Best and most fun vehicle I've ever owned and I'm 70 but I get your frustration. I'd have to travel 2 hours to a service center if I did have an issue. I think the attention to detail that Rivian put into the build is impressive but I guess I wouldn't feel the same way if I was having your experience. I was in at the pre increase price with a $7500 fed credit and a check from Massachusetts for $7500 so I knew I was making money on a flip no matter what happened. I'm not going to presume I know what you should do, just sharing my experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bigz3393

Bigz3393

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Honeywell
Sounds like you need to separate functional deficiencies and expectations

For example - Nav is fine for me. Some people hate it. I am not one of these people. Not having Carplay is annoying to me, but not a deal breaker. It is for some people. But it’s advertised as not supporting that feature, so it’s a little bit of shouting at clouds. Totally cool to want it, though. Just no guarantees we’ll get it.

D+ not working due to sensors is a warranty issue. Get it sorted with Service. They’re incredibly responsive.

The Tonneau thing is deeply annoying, but I’d rather have it work properly than get a half-assed fix. Totally valid to be unhappy over.

I’m not gonna tell you to keep or sell your truck. I adore mine - warts and all.
The nav is extremely inaccurate in my experience day to day

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Why I don't recommend it:

The sheer amount of mechanical incompetency - There are so many noise related issues that its hard to sort them all out. This site needs to have an AI sound filter to file the problems into the appropriate theads. For me personally the tok is annoying. I just don't like the tok, and wish it would stop doing that. It has me eyeballing things like an EV6 or paying more to get into a Taycan or maybe a Polestar 3. If it wasn't for the tok I'd like the vehicle a lot more. If Rivian could get some competent Mechanical Engineers they could straighten out the whole Tonneau cover issue, and suspension/drivetrain issues.

The lack of clear communication with Rivian. I have about 3 remaining issues with my Truck but there is no consensus with Rivian on whether they really are issues or just things that don't meet my expectations. Where I've gotten mixed opinions through 3 service appointments.

The long 4-6 month wait time for Service due the Service centers being backed up. Specifically I'm talking about the Bellevue, WA service center.

Driver+ is a hunk of junk and doesn't work well in the rain at all.

The wipers aren't that effective with heavy rain. To me it seems like the maximum manual setting is too slow.

The autowipers don't wipe quickly enough. This is a bit of a personal preference thing, but I find them to be rubbish compared to my MB Sprinter which work reasonable well.

No communication preferences for engaging with Rivian Service/Support. They route any support email through the guide who tells me "I wish I could help you, but I don't have any info or power" or through the phone with service. That would be great if I was a phone person, but I'm not a phone person. Plus its hard to call people on their bull$shit on the phone. At least it is for me.

Why I like it:
Reasonably sporty for a truck in Sport mode

Lots of space for my gear like a folding kayak, inflatable paddle board, etc

Decent Range

Reasonable good highway ride quality and noise levels

Awesome off-road fun

Have a RTT for summer camping

Great trip vehicle.

I'm really enjoying the gear tunnel. I mostly use them to store hiking gear, and to change into my hiking shoes on them.

In final:

I enjoy it, but I'm also incredibly let down by it. I also own some stock so I want the company to build better products, and to hurry up with it.

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The nav is extremely inaccurate in my experience day to day
Good to know! Mine has been basically perfect for my use. I wonder how much variance there is by location?

OP
OP
Bigz3393

Bigz3393

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Honeywell
Totally agree with some of the points you make, but (for now) I’ll hold onto it because I do see improvements. My issues are more manufacturing and logistics related than technology. Panels, windows, 12v plugs, winch ready bumper, powered tonneau, spare tire etc.
Winch in bumper and I'd hold my tongue on all this cry baby junk!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.