Sponsored

What would you do if price increased?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
My guess is that they will raise the price on everyone that bought after some date. Probably after Launch Edition. But keeping that date open helps with investor discussions. If the investors want better margins, they move the date forward and the price up. We have an IPO coming and the balance between customers and investors is a dance. IMHO. The two likely times to see a price increase is shortly after shipping starts,(In about 2 weeks) or just after the IPO so that the 1st quarter report looks good.
Once that price increase happens then all the orders before that date can change from estimate.
I would hope Rivian does not turn into a “shareholder profit above all else” company instantly after IPO like you describe.

That would leave a very bad taste with a lot of people.
Sponsored

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
It they do raise the price before I get my Max Pack Rivian in the spring, and since we are already talking $85K, it could make me look at the Lightning, or, wait out my order on the Cybertruck. Can I get the range of the Cybertruck, the features of the Rivian, and the price of the Lightning?

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
If we all keep lining up with preorders and waiting indefinitely for the vehicles, charging and service network, and other needs - then the beatings will continue until morale improves, including price increases.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Depends on the price increase. I have a day 1 F150 Lightning reservation, so if its a big jump, I'll just stick with the F150.

Sponsored

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe that the $7500 tax credit was on the chopping block when Rivian announced. When I placed my preorder I was crossing my fingers that I would be making enough when it finally shipped. I am, thank goodness, but I do need that tax credit for all this to be a good idea for me. A price increase would be a problem for me in more ways than one.
Agree - if Rivian delays early LE shipments into 2022 then that credit could be signficant cost increase depending on what happens to that credit in 2022. Here are the current versions on the table:
Rivian R1T R1S What would you do if price increased? 1633958072026

So if the House version moves forward that $69k for SUVs is going to be a problem for R1S. My LE R1T is at $73k if I remove everything (paint, bars) but then there's that destination charge of $1,100 - not sure if that counts. Fortunately I think I can squeeze in under that $400k AGI :)

KingofThorns

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
Attorney
Agree - if Rivian delays early LE shipments into 2022 then that credit could be signficant cost increase depending on what happens to that credit in 2022. Here are the current versions on the table:
1633958072026.png

So if the House version moves forward that $69k for SUVs is going to be a problem for R1S. My LE R1T is at $73k if I remove everything (paint, bars) but then there's that destination charge of $1,100 - not sure if that counts. Fortunately I think I can squeeze in under that $400k AGI :)
I am definitely at the very top end of my budget with the R1S as is(and I never considered spending this much for a vehicle prior to the Rivian). If I don't receive the tax credit for the R1S, then I am probably dropping it. I can't justify it without the credit. I have never considered myself a "truck guy" but I will consider the R1T if I can receive the tax credit on that.

I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box so I could be completely off kilter here, but isn't the price used to determine eligibility for the deduction the base MSRP before any add ons? I guess that's what I was banking on, anyways. I sprang for the Adventure trim, forest green paint, and crossbars so I did spend more than the base price.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

The R1T will be the first new car I've ever purchased. I've always purchased cars that were 3-4 years old because they just consistently represented a better value. It took a lot for me to convince myself that buying a new R1T would be worth it, so if the price went up even more I'm pretty sure I would be out.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I am definitely at the very top end of my budget with the R1S as is(and I never considered spending this much for a vehicle prior to the Rivian). If I don't receive the tax credit for the R1S, then I am probably dropping it. I can't justify it without the credit. I have never considered myself a "truck guy" but I will consider the R1T if I can receive the tax credit on that.

I've never claimed to be the brightest bulb in the box so I could be completely off kilter here, but isn't the price used to determine eligibility for the deduction the base MSRP before any add ons? I guess that's what I was banking on, anyways. I sprang for the Adventure trim, forest green paint, and crossbars so I did spend more than the base price.
I'm in the same boat regarding the tax incentive. It's not really even that I can't afford it so much as I can't justify the cost above other options. The tax incentive helps get it down closer to other options to where I can justify it. If they enact the current proposal before I am able to lock in the existing incentive, I will be looking to drop to the "small" pack whenever that becomes a thing for the R1S. Hopefully with the 21" wheels and consserve mode I can get 250-275 miles out of it on the highway because ultimately that's kind of my floor (Charleston to Clemson without a stop).

Sponsored

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I’d most likely be out. It’s already more than I should be spending
Same boat. I may get divorced over this as is……

KingofThorns

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
Attorney
I'm in the same boat regarding the tax incentive. It's not really even that I can't afford it so much as I can't justify the cost above other options. The tax incentive helps get it down closer to other options to where I can justify it. If they enact the current proposal before I am able to lock in the existing incentive, I will be looking to drop to the "small" pack whenever that becomes a thing for the R1S. Hopefully with the 21" wheels and consserve mode I can get 250-275 miles out of it on the highway because ultimately that's kind of my floor (Charleston to Clemson without a stop).
As a fellow CX-5 owner, I assume that you purchased your previous vehicles based on cost, reliability, and value. I despise my CX-5 because of its infotainment center, but I have no complaints otherwise; it has been a reliable, albeit boring, car. (and I mean no offense to you if the CX-5 is your dream car)

My justifications for the Rivian are very much a stretch as it brings me out of my comfort zone - American made (I've only ever owned Japanese cars before this, but I am hoping that Rivian will prove to be the exception to the rule that American made vehicles are unreliable), unproven company and vehicle, and an EV (I do not live in a large city or in the suburbs of a large city so I am concerned with my ability to charge it on the go). The tax incentive is my justification on a purchase that I would not normally consider. Haha.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

As a fellow CX-5 owner, I assume that you purchased your previous vehicles based on cost, reliability, and value. I despise my CX-5 because of its infotainment center, but I have no complaints otherwise; it has been a reliable, albeit boring, car. (and I mean no offense to you if the CX-5 is your dream car)

My justifications for the Rivian are very much a stretch as it brings me out of my comfort zone - American made (I've only ever owned Japanese cars before this, but I am hoping that Rivian will prove to be the exception to the rule that American made vehicles are unreliable), unproven company and vehicle, and an EV (I do not live in a large city or in the suburbs of a large city so I am concerned with my ability to charge it on the go). The tax incentive is my justification on a purchase that I would not normally consider. Haha.
To some extent yes, although I'd argue that the CX 5 is significantly less boring (and much better looking) than it's peer group. When we made the purchase, I did a pretty in depth comparison between the CX-5, the Q5, and the XC-60 and the CX-5 was the clear winner based on what my wife and I needed. It checked every box for $10k less than the Audi and Volvo, even fully optioned out. That said, our CX-5 fully optioned out cost about half of what the R1S will end up costing.

I recently put together a 5/7/10 year cost analysis for the R1S compared with other options (Highlander, Pilot, Atlas, CX-9, Q7) factoring in fuel cost and maintenance over the life of the vehicle. Even with the tax credit, 5/7/10 year cost of ownership for the R1S was still thousands of dollars more than the fully optioned version of everything other than the Q7. Take away the tax credit and that's a very tough pill to swallow.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director

Same. If I don't get the tax incentive on the R1S, I'm out.
Sponsored