First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Man...my 3 and Y stays unlocked when home. Get in and drive when ready. No drama. What in the world are you guys doing, šŸ˜†?
lol... I do leave my i3 unlocked in the driveway. I figure no one is going to steal that car!
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

Living in Arizona the A/C vent setting problem was my biggest complaint. The most recent software update seems to have solved most of that problem. After one week I totally gave up on the phone key. While probably a generational complaint I donā€™t like my entertainment tied to cell tower coverage. When you are in the middle of the forest with no cell coverage you realize how much you miss SiriusXM. Notwithstanding the above the R1T is a fabulous vehicle and I am really enjoying it.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Man...my 3 and Y stays unlocked when home. Get in and drive when ready. No drama. What in the world are you guys doing, šŸ˜†?
Had my car broken into outside my house on one of the few nights I left it unlocked. So cars stay locked any time I'm not inside them now

Edit: Was my jeep GC. No R1T in the driveway yet.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The problem with turning prox off at home is then you have to fish the phone out of your pocket, open the app, wait for it to connect, click the unlock icon, wait for it to unlockā€¦
Agree 100%, touch the handle with some token in your pocket (BT phone, fob, etc.) to open. The band for hands free. Or make these unlock modes optional.
I never thought the touch the door handle on my nissan leaf was annoying. It worked fine.

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that the seat/steering wheel/mirror controls will often switch to another registered drivers' settings if you're both/all getting in the car together. My partner and I have very different statures and I literally can't even get in the driver seat to change from her settings to mine as the seat is too far forward, so instead I awkwardly paw at the touch screen to touch the driver name, then touch change driver, then touch my name, then wait for the seat to move to a position that I can actually use before clamoring aboard. Seems to happen about 50% of the time, which I think the math would check out to be totally random based on whose ever sensor seems to get picked up first. Sometimes I can see the seat moving forward into her position from 10-15 feet away as we approach the truck :facepalm:

I feel like non tactile keys of some type are something we're going to chuckle about in years to come like those weird shoulder seatbelts that were integrated into the door frame in the early 90s. Or, maybe the tech/sensors will get better but it seems like for the foreseeable future Bluetooth/GPS is not up to this task.

It sounds sort of annoying to have this happen in the garage, but at least you guys are in the privacy of your own home. From experience, it's just plain embarrassing to have snagged a front row parking spot and be at the bar when your friends are all asking if that's your new Rivian truck parked right through the window. The follow up questions (hey I think your car is unlocked, hey, the headlights just turned on, hey are you sitting on your remote... *chirp* 2 minutes later, hey it's doing it again... *chirp*) are far from what you'd hope for.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Do the folks saying "proximity unlock works great!" never walk past their truck with their key (phone or fob) in their pocket without the intent to enter/drive it? I do this all the time. This is why the mix of proximity AND affirmative physical contact with the door handle is the way to go, especially in a vehicle that has no power button and wakes up once it's unlocked.
This. My MINI has a button on the door handle and it works great. Key stays in your pocket. You walk up, hit the button with your thumb as you pull the handle and it just works...every time. Park, get out, close door, hit button to lock, hold the button to lock and fold mirrors. It just works.

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
  1. I donā€™t have my Rivian. Zero Rivians. Zilch. Nada. Bupkis.
  2. Rivian owners that donā€™t post photos of their trucks. I need new wallpaper. I need to complete my vision board. Get it together!
  3. Iā€™ve only seen one Rivian IRL and it was moving.
  4. See number 1.

hayduke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This. My MINI has a button on the door handle and it works great. Key stays in your pocket. You walk up, hit the button with your thumb as you pull the handle and it just works...every time. Park, get out, close door, hit button to lock, hold the button to lock and fold mirrors. It just works.
Yep, Chevy Bolt has this too. Works flawlessly. If they didn't want the "ugliness" of a button it would be need if tapping or double tapping the retracted handles could serve as a button, similar to the dome lights

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The most annoying thing I have found so far (other than lack of CarPlay šŸ˜¤) is that my truck refuses to remember that I don't want it to take over my phone calls! Every time I walk by while on the phone, it snags my phone call and I have to quickly try to jump back to my AirPods, and usually ask the person I'm on the phone with to repeat the last 10 seconds of whatever they were saying (I am on the phone at work a lot, and walk by where my truck is charging and/or am on the phone outside my truck in other areas of the Compost Site I work at). Why the truck would decide to take over phone calls before you open the door is beyond me... Just awful software engineering decision IMO.
I think this is a bluetooth/phone problem not a Rivian problem. My iphone and my Macbook and my airpods and my Rivian and my Audi are all constantly fighting over who gets to take the call and I've only had a Rivian for five days...
  1. I donā€™t have my Rivian. Zero Rivians. Zilch. Nada. Bupkis.
  2. Rivian owners that donā€™t post photos of their trucks. I need new wallpaper. I need to complete my vision board. Get it together!
  3. Iā€™ve only seen one Rivian IRL and it was moving.
  4. See number 1.
Rivian R1T R1S What I hate about my R1T 1660160140392

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Thank you for sharing your truck photo. Are you happy with your color choices?
I wanted OC interior but am happy with FE. Won't work for everyone but I think it's understated. Love El Cap. Thought about white (with OC interior) but didn't think it worked with FE. LA Silver was a little too glittery to me once I saw it in person. I love Limestone but worry that it might be too trendy. I love the green exterior but not with green interior... I think I ultimately got the right color for me, but I changed my config about 200 times.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
I think this is a bluetooth/phone problem not a Rivian problem. My iphone and my Macbook and my airpods and my Rivian and my Audi are all constantly fighting over who gets to take the call and I've only had a Rivian for five days...

1660160140392.png
I donā€™t think itā€™s only a Rivian problem per se (Bluetooth ā€œstickinessā€), but what is a Rivian problem is that it wonā€™t remember my settings for never wanting my phone to play through Rivian audio. It gives the option (good thing), but never seems to remember my preference (bad thing). After the latest update it also keeps defaulting to turning off the ā€œplay mediaā€ option, which I DO want left on.

if they really had it together, they wouldnā€™t connect calls to the phone until youā€™re in your seat. Sure, other manufacturers have similarly annoying Bluetooth integration, but that doesnā€™t mean we canā€™t hope that Rivian could do better!

some photos of my LG w/ FE from tonight

Rivian R1T R1S What I hate about my R1T B6CADC73-F114-4A2B-8D06-5C1A632852A4

Rivian R1T R1S What I hate about my R1T 0D81B8B1-A353-48E0-B56F-92E3C1F85EB9

Rivian R1T R1S What I hate about my R1T E65EA1B2-4589-4A15-8CD8-D3ADC31BDE83

Rivian R1T R1S What I hate about my R1T AE219E4B-E7CD-4A4D-BA81-45287D76255A

Rivian R1T R1S What I hate about my R1T 5DDC8351-8E23-41FA-A706-AE480C3A79C4

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Everyone knows that Rivian is the leader in world-class infotainment systems. If your benchmark is Toyota Entune, that is.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
Everyone knows that Rivian is the leader in world-class infotainment systems. If your benchmark is Toyota Entune, that is.
The irony is, coming from a 2022 Tacoma with CarPlay, I actually preferred the experience to my Rivian. I never used Toyotaā€™s software, but at least they had the sense to let us use Appleā€™s.
Sponsored