Sponsored

What I hate about my R1T

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Almost nothing but..... There's always a "but." The passive entry phone functionality. I hate it! For the love of god,....please Rivian I implore you....if at all possible implement a touch entry system to supplant the passive phone app entry. If not for me, for future owners. You can do it, I believe in you! I'll even pay if you need to swap out door handles if that's what it takes!

I know its been talked about ad nauseum here but the passive phone thing really sucks. Not because it doesn't work. It works good. Too good. So good it opens every time I even get anywhere near my garage (even room above) And it's frickin' annoying. Open/close open/close open/close open/close....maybe 100s of times in the last 8 days. No, I'm not turning off my bluetooth! No, I'm not wearing a silly band! Yes, I can use the key fob but......

8 days into ownership, that's it, one measly gripe. I say all this tongue in cheek. Maybe?! Love the truck. It really is awesome.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I’m almost envious that yours works so much. Mine is inconsistent, but frequently it will unlock just fine if I haven’t been near it for a while, but won’t recognize me if I run into a store and then come back out.

For a while I’ve been using the frunk button to trigger the connection to the phone, but now it has started to open the frunk sometimes without unlocking the doors. It’s very inconsistent.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
Why can’t they just make a functional passive fob? If they could figure out the fob presumably they could use the existing door handle sensors. I hate the phone key. It sucks and it’s a dumb complication to an already solved and well executed alternative.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Almost nothing but..... There's always a "but." The passive entry phone functionality. I hate it! For the love of god,....please Rivian I implore you....if at all possible implement a touch entry system to supplant the passive phone app entry. If not for me, for future owners. You can do it, I believe in you! I'll even pay if you need to swap out door handles if that's what it takes!

I know its been talked about ad nauseum here but the passive phone thing really sucks. Not because it doesn't work. It works good. Too good. So good it opens every time I even get anywhere near my garage (even room above) And it's frickin' annoying. Open/close open/close open/close open/close....maybe 100s of times in the last 8 days. No, I'm not turning off my bluetooth! No, I'm not wearing a silly band! Yes, I can use the key fob but......

8 days into ownership, that's it, one measly gripe. I say all this tongue in cheek. Maybe?! Love the truck. It really is awesome.
You can turn off proximity unlock "at home" in the settings. This would at least alleviate the annoying behavior in and around the house.

Sponsored

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I left proximity on but turned on the setting that locks every thing back after 30
secs if a door isn’t opened, it’s better

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

The problem with turning prox off at home is then you have to fish the phone out of your pocket, open the app, wait for it to connect, click the unlock icon, wait for it to unlock…
Agree 100%, touch the handle with some token in your pocket (BT phone, fob, etc.) to open. The band for hands free. Or make these unlock modes optional.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The problem with turning prox off at home is then you have to fish the phone out of your pocket, open the app, wait for it to connect, click the unlock icon, wait for it to unlock…
Agree 100%, touch the handle with some token in your pocket (BT phone, fob, etc.) to open. The band for hands free. Or make these unlock modes optional.
Hoping this gets fixed soon. Its very annoying having to fish the phone out, open and unlock and then wait.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I have absolutely no problems with the phone as a key. I have the truck set to not lock at home. I get home and close the app and then have no issues with unlocking/locking/etc. When we get ready to leave then I open the Rivian app and leave the app running until we get back home, then close the app again. I have not had to fish the phone out of my pocket to manually lock/unlock the truck. I also have proximity locking set to on in the truck.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Even when I’m out & about, it’s like a 5-8 second wait for the truck to unlock when I walk up to it in a parking lot. Contrast that to unlocking CONSTANTLY in my garage every time I walk up to my refrigerator(which is on the other side of the wall from the garage). Madness!

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I have absolutely no problems with the phone as a key. I have the truck set to not lock at home. I get home and close the app and then have no issues with unlocking/locking/etc. When we get ready to leave then I open the Rivian app and leave the app running until we get back home, then close the app again. I have not had to fish the phone out of my pocket to manually lock/unlock the truck. I also have proximity locking set to on in the truck.
IMHO, having to “do a thing” like closing/opening the app is tantamount to having to fish the phone out of my pocket. But I agree that works if you don’t mind jumping though that hoop.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Why can’t they just make a functional passive fob? If they could figure out the fob presumably they could use the existing door handle sensors. I hate the phone key. It sucks and it’s a dumb complication to an already solved and well executed alternative.
The fob even has BLE built in, so presumably passive entry with the fob is a software update away

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
The fob even has BLE built in, so presumably passive entry with the fob is a software update away
I can’t remember where but I saw someone post a conversation with an engineer that said the aluminum loop around the fob caused problems. Maybe that’s why the signal sucks so bad also.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Senior VP at Rivian stated this is already in testing and will be coming s00n.
Sponsored