What I hate about my R1T

MichaelW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XFR, Ford Mustang GT, Mazda Miata, Smart ForTwo
My Mach-E does this too at a staggering rate. I turned off phone as a key in the first week.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I guess that is one nice thing about non-self-presenting door handles such as in the model Y or model 3. My model Y is probably 'unlocking' all the time, but I don't know it until I push on the door handle.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I was worried about this but I don't think I'll have an issue since I always take my phone out before driving. People drive with their phones in their pockets? Seems uncomfortable.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Senior VP at Rivian stated this is already in testing and will be coming s00n.
Glad to finally hear this officially. We know that the fob has proximity electronics in it, since the truck sense the fob is inside to let you drive away. Now they just need it working from outside. I'd still prefer the phone implementation (one less thing to have to carry), but if the fob works better I'd definitely use that.

Sponsored

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
I find it annoying, but have found that when the truck doesn't unlock when I need it to, I can trigger the unlock by either holding my thumb to the indent in the handle or if that doesn't work, holding my phone to the handle. You can also turn off the wake light sequence so that you aren't lighting up the neighborhood when you walk by the truck.

The most annoying thing I have found so far (other than lack of CarPlay šŸ˜¤) is that my truck refuses to remember that I don't want it to take over my phone calls! Every time I walk by while on the phone, it snags my phone call and I have to quickly try to jump back to my AirPods, and usually ask the person I'm on the phone with to repeat the last 10 seconds of whatever they were saying (I am on the phone at work a lot, and walk by where my truck is charging and/or am on the phone outside my truck in other areas of the Compost Site I work at). Why the truck would decide to take over phone calls before you open the door is beyond me... Just awful software engineering decision IMO.

No matter what I do, I can't get the truck to remember that I only want to play media from my phone! Also, the call quality is pretty hit or miss, and AirPods are always hit, not miss, so after a couple days testing it out I decided it wasn't for me, but the thing has the stickiest bluetooth of any car I've personally had and simply won't remember my settings for this! Am I alone?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Do the folks saying "proximity unlock works great!" never walk past their truck with their key (phone or fob) in their pocket without the intent to enter/drive it? I do this all the time. This is why the mix of proximity AND affirmative physical contact with the door handle is the way to go, especially in a vehicle that has no power button and wakes up once it's unlocked.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
You can turn off proximity unlock "at home" in the settings. This would at least alleviate the annoying behavior in and around the house.
The other problem is the inability to set sensitivity. I don't want the truck opening when I'm six feet away in a parking lot....would like to be able to adjust signal sensitivity so that it would open when I am within, say, a foot...

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I find it annoying, but have found that when the truck doesn't unlock when I need it to, I can trigger the unlock by either holding my thumb to the indent in the handle or if that doesn't work, holding my phone to the handle. You can also turn off the wake light sequence so that you aren't lighting up the neighborhood when you walk by the truck.

The most annoying thing I have found so far (other than lack of CarPlay šŸ˜¤) is that my truck refuses to remember that I don't want it to take over my phone calls! Every time I walk by while on the phone, it snags my phone call and I have to quickly try to jump back to my AirPods, and usually ask the person I'm on the phone with to repeat the last 10 seconds of whatever they were saying (I am on the phone at work a lot, and walk by where my truck is charging and/or am on the phone outside my truck in other areas of the Compost Site I work at). Why the truck would decide to take over phone calls before you open the door is beyond me... Just awful software engineering decision IMO.

No matter what I do, I can't get the truck to remember that I only want to play media from my phone! Also, the call quality is pretty hit or miss, and AirPods are always hit, not miss, so after a couple days testing it out I decided it wasn't for me, but the thing has the stickiest bluetooth of any car I've personally had and simply won't remember my settings for this! Am I alone?
I think this is just the low standard of BT integration. Both my Tesla and my partner's late model Mazda did the same thing. Walk near either of them while on and calls would get picked up. With their software resources, it seems more likely (extremely small chance) that Rivian would be able to develop a trigger to tell the truck it's ok to take over active phone audio.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I have absolutely no problems with the phone as a key. I have the truck set to not lock at home. I get home and close the app and then have no issues with unlocking/locking/etc. When we get ready to leave then I open the Rivian app and leave the app running until we get back home, then close the app again. I have not had to fish the phone out of my pocket to manually lock/unlock the truck. I also have proximity locking set to on in the truck.
But you have to fish your phone in and out of your pocket to open and close the app...

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
When my truck is slow to unlock I usually reach in my pocket and tap the phone screen a couple of times. Might be a complete timing coincidence but that usually results in the truck unlocking. Like the iphone needs to wake up to connect.

Even with the slow unlocks Rivian PAAK has been vastly superior to my Mach E PAAK experience.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Do the folks saying "proximity unlock works great!" never walk past their truck with their key (phone or fob) in their pocket without the intent to enter/drive it? I do this all the time. This is why the mix of proximity AND affirmative physical contact with the door handle is the way to go, especially in a vehicle that has no power button and wakes up once it's unlocked.
I do, and it annoyed me at first... But the most recent update does seem to improve the locking logic AND I have gotten used to it and have learned to stop caring. It reliably locks when I walk away, so it is secure when I'm not there. The wear/tear and energy use bothered me at first, but I've sort of just accepted it, at this point. It is what it is. It doesn't make an observable impact on range. The vehicle also automatically relocks itself if I don't open a door after a period of time -- even if I'm still standing next to it.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
But you have to fish your phone in and out of your pocket to open and close the app...
It literally takes me 10 seconds to get my phone out of my pocket, unlock it and for the Rivian app to startā€¦.thatā€™s assuming I donā€™t already have my phone out. I can handle 20-30 seconds to start and close the app for when I need to drive the truck.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I had Phone as Key set up on my Model Y, the day the FOB came (Tesla FOB is proximity unlock enabled) the Phone as Key was deleted from my profile. My daughter who is under 25yo also uses the FOB exclusively on her Model 3 as it's just stupid easy to use and is 100% reliable 24/7/365.

My R1T (Ocean Coast interior) is scheduled for Nov-Dec delivery. Hopefully Rivian will have their $hit together regarding vehicle entry via FOB proximity by that date.

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Man...my 3 and Y stays unlocked when home. Get in and drive when ready. No drama. What in the world are you guys doing, šŸ˜†?
Sponsored