2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
By end of this year probably every major company will have an agreement in place with Tesla with the exception of maybe VW and Toyota, but they wont hold out long. The move to NACS is happening fast and being left out of Tesla SC at this point is a loosing proposition.

This now puts NACS (and Tesla SC access) to ~80% of the US EV market.

Rivian R1T R1S Volvo Joins NACS hzx7fxbwwyn6eu1bfp33kh&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Just wait until Toyota and Stellantis fall to NACS. Stick a fork in it for CCS1. For all practical purposes, J1772 is dead. I fully expect all home L2 chargers will be NACS with J1772 adapter.

The only major auto group without NACS at that point in the US will be VW group. They have so much invested in EA, that would be amazing if they fell to NACS.

Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Well the EX30 has shot straight to the top of my list as a second vehicle whenever my R1T is delivered.
preordered on day 1 for my wife.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just wait until Toyota and Stellantis fall to NACS. Stick a fork in it for CCS1. For all practical purposes, J1772 is dead. I fully expect all home L2 chargers will be NACS with J1772 adapter.

The only major auto group without NACS at that point in the US will be VW group. They have so much invested in EA, that would be amazing if they fell to NACS.
While I think VW will be one of the last, I don't really think they care about EA that much. EA was an obligation to the US government over their diesel cheat scandal. They care about selling cars. Going to needs NACS + Tesla SC access to sell cars in the near future. They will move to NAC in less than a year is my bet.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This now puts NACS (and Tesla SC access) to ~80% of the US EV market.

hzx7fxbwwyn6eu1bfp33kh&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif
I keep hearing this stat, it sounds impressive until you realize that Tesla has ~62% of the north American market share. In fact in 2018 it was already 80% of EVs had "NACS".

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I keep hearing this stat, it sounds impressive until you realize that Tesla has ~62% of the north American market share. In fact in 2018 it was already 80% of EVs had "NACS".
Pretty much why this all feels like a last ditch effort by Tesla to have some kind of control over the EV market and why I hate it happening before they give up their IP on the connector.

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

EA can add NACS ports easily enough. Here is the problem EA (and EVGO and Chargepoint) faces:
  • All membership fee models for charging networks are dead - no one will buy monthly subscription to an inferior network
  • They have a very few months to get their act together on reliability or people will just stop using them
  • App and connection time needs to be fixed
  • They need to price at a discount to Tesla and publish prices
The EV charging business is getting competitive. That is great news.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All membership fee models for charging networks are dead - no one will buy monthly subscription to an inferior network
Exactly why I'd never buy the membership to the Tesla network that they currently have for access to the Magic Dock connectors at a cheaper rate (and something I expect to still be a thing for non-Tesla customers after this "NACS" stuff shakes out (oh you mean no-one's talked about cost of access yet??))

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ok, how about this stat - 46% of all non-Tesla EVs sold in 2023 Q1 will have access to the Tesla SC network next year (GM, Rivian, Volvo/Polestar, Ford). That's just under half and was 0% about a month ago. At the rate of these agreements (about 1 every couple weeks) will be well over half by end of July.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
EA can add NACS ports easily enough. Here is the problem EA (and EVGO and Chargepoint) faces:
  • All membership fee models for charging networks are dead - no one will buy monthly subscription to an inferior network
  • They have a very few months to get their act together on reliability or people will just stop using them
  • App and connection time needs to be fixed
  • They need to price at a discount to Tesla and publish prices
The EV charging business is getting competitive. That is great news.
100%. I've never driven a tesla and have never been to an SC, but I for sure would prefer to pay more for reliability. I have an EA membership. I wont in 2024 regardless of the price difference. EA is fine, but not something i'd consider "reliable."

*assuming non-Tesla cars will have a good SC experiences like Tesla cars do

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

100%. I've never driven a tesla and have never been to an SC, but I for sure would prefer to pay more for reliability. I have an EA membership. I wont in 2024 regardless of the price difference. EA is fine, but not something i'd consider "reliable."

*assuming non-Tesla cars will have a good SC experiences like Tesla cars do
Great. More charging spots available for us cheapskates that don't want to give Elon a premium for his fancy electrons.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Great. More charging spots available for us cheapskates that don't want to give Elon a premium for his fancy electrons.
Tesla owners will be happy to hear there are EV owners don't want to use their network.. more stalls available for them too!

Everyone's happy now!!
Sponsored