Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm ok with the delay. I thought maybe this would give the opportunity to cross shop and compare to the Kia EV9, but one look at that and my wife put the end to those thoughts. She just really likes the looks and size of the EX90 (and XC90), both inside and out. Also on the UK configurator they added a Mulberry Red color. It looks like that will be "our" choice if that comes to the US.

Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S EX90_Mulberry-1
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm ok with the delay. I thought maybe this would give the opportunity to cross shop and compare to the Kia EV9, but one look at that and my wife put the end to those thoughts. She just really likes the looks and size of the EX90 (and XC90), both inside and out. Also on the UK configurator they added a Mulberry Red color. It looks like that will be "our" choice if that comes to the US.

EX90_Mulberry-1.jpg
That looks much nicer than the current monochromatic color palette and would be my choice as well. The delay increases the chances I might take the EX90, since I'd be past the 2 year mark with the R1S at that point. I think the decision will ultimately come down whether it resolves the suspension and height issues I have with the R1S, as well as what other competing vehicles have been revealed at that point.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Volvo Cars NL has just announced deliveries have been delayed again until the end of 2024. Not a good omen considering Europe usually get the cars first. Are we looking at 2025 here?

Rgrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I was at EX90 reveal party in San Francisco. Looks great, but very small - not even really any comparison with R1S. Essentially no space at all behind 3rd row in EX90, it is effectively a 5-seater with an option for an unusable 3rd row (where have we seen that before :^). I cancelled my EX90 pre-order same day.

vista1984

First Name
Wan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I was at EX90 reveal party in San Francisco. Looks great, but very small - not even really any comparison with R1S. Essentially no space at all behind 3rd row in EX90, it is effectively a 5-seater with an option for an unusable 3rd row (where have we seen that before :^). I cancelled my EX90 pre-order same day.
interesting. so it is more like an emergency 3rd row.

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

EX90_Mulberry-1.jpg
When I saw the EV9 concept at the LA auto show a while back, it looked awesome. When I saw the closer-to-production EV9 in person a month ago at an event, imo it looked…. cheap and plasticky on the outside. The EX90 looks much more classy and more premium than the EV9.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
My sister has an XC90 I have looked at. You can "cross shop' the EX90 vs. the R1S, but as you said, there really is no comparison. Apples and Oranges.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The Count's EX90 order is almost about to celebrate a birthday. As many people know and appreciate, The Count is by his nature a curious creature so he wanted to find out the status of his order. He called the dealer, left a message, and after three days didn't hear anything. He then tried to check the status online only to learn (via the Vulva chat function) the only way to track the EX90 order is via the Vulva phone app. Adding an app to one's phone just to learn of any update to an order seems silly but The Count decided to play along.

First step was to create a Vulva profile with the same email address used for the order. Then The Count downloaded the app and installed it. He next logged into the app whereby he was presented with this exceedingly gimcrack screen:

Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S PV7Dz7i

Undaunted, The Count then called his INEOS Grenadier dealer and scheduled a test drive of a production model (as is common knowledge, he previous drove a pre-production model).

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
BTW, the tracking functions looks like it is stollen (yum German bread) from thisL

Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S undies

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

My sister has an XC90 I have looked at. You can "cross shop' the EX90 vs. the R1S, but as you said, there really is no comparison. Apples and Oranges.
I think it is spacious enough for some. I was impressed by the cargo room. It's more wagon than SUV.

Rivian R1T R1S Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S IMG_7031.JPG