Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Seems unreasonably difficult to determine if this thing comes with heated steering wheel or not.

Most recent spec site linked above says “available” and not “comes with” or “included”.

I’ve literally spent 2hrs+ trying to find an answer for my wife if this suv has heated steering.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Seems unreasonably difficult to determine if this thing comes with heated steering wheel or not.

Most recent spec site linked above says “available” and not “comes with” or “included”.

I’ve literally spent 2hrs+ trying to find an answer for my wife if this suv has heated steering.
I’m sure it will be just like all current Volvos. Heated steering wheel will be standard on certain trims, and available optionally on lower level trims.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I’m sure it will be just like all current Volvos. Heated steering wheel will be standard on certain trims, and available optionally on lower level trims.
We have to get the heated wheel. So it’s “heated wheel price” + “negative tax impact” if said feature tips over the tax allowance”. Why do I feel it certainly will cost 3x what the feature cost is?

Currently impossible to guess.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
The UK pricing includes 20% tax. So that would bring the price down. Pricing is not always equivalent between markets allowing for exchange rates. The UK is likely more since it right hand drive and a much smaller market than the US.
It sounds like it will be competitive with R1S's current pricing.

GR

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
The UK pricing includes 20% tax. So that would bring the price down. Pricing is not always equivalent between markets allowing for exchange rates. The UK is likely more since it right hand drive and a much smaller market than the US.
Also remember they will be built in the US (and China), so prices to other regions will be slightly higher anyway.

Reactions: Guy

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
Edited to remove an inaccurate statement.

I got an email from Volvo this morning stating that they are taking reservations for the EX90 with an expected delivery in 2024. The $500 refundable deposit gets you on the EX90 list at your local Volvo dealer, but doesn't seem to provide much more than that. As far as I can see, your reservation does not come with any pricing detail, beyond stating that the the vehicle will be "well equipped" with a price tag "under $80,000."

The EX90 looks to be about the same size as the Kia EV9, which is to say somewhat smaller than the R1S. While the Volvo has fairly large battery (111 kWh), a claimed range of about 300 miles and nearly 5,000 pounds of towing capacity, it doesn't challenge the R1S in terms of off-road capability. I would still expect that both the EX90 and the EV9 will pull some sales from Rivian. I'd guess that would be those who do not need the extra capability of the R1S and who feel more comfortable working with a local dealership for after-sales support.

Purchasing through an existing dealer network could be a very important element for potential buyers in the 9 states that prohibit direct vehicle sales, and for those who live in places where, like my home state of PA, "consumer protection" laws do not allow delivery or service centers to support direct to consumer vehicle sales.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I wonder if it will eventually be included in the Costco $2500 Volvo discount?

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It's felt like Volvo has been better at keeping engaged with reservation holders than Rivian. They send something out at least once a month and the dealer has checked in a couple of times to see if I am still interested. At this point though, I've settled into the R1S and have no intention of replacing it with an early production EX90, so I'll probably let the reservation go when it comes time to confirm.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
I created an EX90 reservation a couple of weeks after launch and last week called the dealer to see what they knew. They said Volvo is planning an event in September and bringing several cars for people to see and sit in (not drive). They said I'm on track for an April 2024 delivery, and they know nothing more than what's already been shared about pricing and options.

This would be for my wife - she likes the Rivian but the ergonomics are not good for a smaller person. The running boards (expected in June) will help a bit with access but she really wants a vehicle that feels like it is sized for people her size.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I created an EX90 reservation a couple of weeks after launch and last week called the dealer to see what they knew. They said Volvo is planning an event in September and bringing several cars for people to see and sit in (not drive). They said I'm on track for an April 2024 delivery, and they know nothing more than what's already been shared about pricing and options.

This would be for my wife - she likes the Rivian but the ergonomics are not good for a smaller person. The running boards (expected in June) will help a bit with access but she really wants a vehicle that feels like it is sized for people her size.
Has she driven any model of the 90? My wife hated it due to the amount of visual "dead space" around the vehicle, meaning you could not see obstacles right in front of you below your line of vision.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Has she driven any model of the 90? My wife hated it due to the amount of visual "dead space" around the vehicle, meaning you could not see obstacles right in front of you below your line of vision.
Well, compared to the dead space around our R1S it has to be better, amiright? We couldn't survive without the cameras. But no - she has not driven one...yet.
Sponsored