Sponsored

Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sorry to hear that, I’m surprised there are so many variations.

I’m not seeing anywhere near that, I see one or 2 miles a day for the first 24 hours and less after that if not moved. I do park in a garage with gear guard off but nothing special other than that.

I’ll test tonight, it should be parked for 2 days after I park it tonight. I will screenshot the loss.
Here is the first 12.5 hours, in unheated garage overnight low outside 54, in the garage 60. I have gear guard off, phone app is still on but have kept the phone out of the garage.

Started 7:24 PM
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? B89C3C83-9CEF-44E3-AE88-545E11E7C13C

Next morning, 8:01 am.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? C9BFEAFC-7CF7-4F62-B581-932B6F9DA49C
Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Here is the first 12.5 hours, in unheated garage overnight low outside 54, in the garage 60. I have gear guard off, phone app is still on but have kept the phone out of the garage.

Started 7:24 PM
B89C3C83-9CEF-44E3-AE88-545E11E7C13C.png

Next morning, 8:01 am.

C9BFEAFC-7CF7-4F62-B581-932B6F9DA49C.png
That’s encouraging. I wonder what the heck is wrong with mine to be draining 4x the amount that yours is.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
That’s encouraging. I wonder what the heck is wrong with mine to be draining 4x the amount that yours is.
that is awesome. My setting is the same but it is draining somewhere. 2 to 3% a day.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

You would have to know what the loss is from the charger. Also on the Rivian app the power delivered by the charger is always a whole number so not very accurate in my mind.
Good to know. My charger reports power delivered as well. I’m running another 24hr test and will check the charger directly this time.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Darn. As I look forward to the day when I have my R1T, I’m gradually checking off the boxes of concerns that I have. That is a good thing. However, at this point, range and available charging options are still way at the top of that list of concerns. I hadn’t really thought too much about vampire drain, but, now, I sure am.

If I lived and traveled in California, with the exception of those areas of CA that are east of the Sierras, I don’t think I would worry too much about vampire drain. There are chargers pretty much everywhere. However, I live (NV) and travel in regions with very few or no charging options, when I’m on the road/trail. I often go to fairly remote places to camp. I could be away from any charger for days, maybe a week. If vampire drain is going to cost me 2 or 3 miles per day of range, that could become a very serious issue. If Rivian can’t/won’t resolve this issue, and this is a software issue, it would be nice to be able to easily and completely shut every possible source of drain down, when the vehicle is going to be stationary for a time. I don’t need my Rivian waking up periodically to communicate with anybody, and certainly NOT Amazon.

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I don’t need my Rivian waking up periodically to communicate with anybody, and certainly NOT Amazon.
I agree that it shouldn't be waking up, but Amazon is a major player in the services game. Amazon has 33% of the market while Microsoft is a not-so-close 2nd place at 18%. You'd be hard pressed to do anything online without touching Amazon.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Alright, running my first round of tests of disabling various things. Tonight I'm not going full disconnect of network, just two settings that I think are most likely to be contributing to the problem of data upload and waking up the vehicle:

PXL_20230321_010456826~2.jpg

For posterity, I've zero'd out the odometer and will check in tomorrow at around the same time to see total energy usage by kWh, not %:

PXL_20230321_010507298~2.jpg

Temps are at a nice 12 C and stable overnight. PAAK and GG off as well. SoC currently at 62%.
how'd the test go?

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
how'd the test go?
I'll know in 4 hours as soon as I get home 😅.

If the drain has not changed, I'll try turning off network entirely for 24hours.

If THAT fails, I'm going to see if I can borrow a Flir thermal camera to see if there's any hotspots. There's a thread elsewhere that speculates the windshield camera may be always on, evidenced by some snow melt in that area. It might be indicative of gear guard not actually being off but in a standby state. The windshield camera isn't even available to us in GG so it shouldn't even be active if GG is off and the vehicle is parked.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'll know in 4 hours as soon as I get home 😅.

If the drain has not changed, I'll try turning off network entirely for 24hours.

If THAT fails, I'm going to see if I can borrow a Flir thermal camera to see if there's any hotspots. There's a thread elsewhere that speculates the windshield camera may be always on, evidenced by some snow melt in that area. It might be indicative of gear guard not actually being off but in a standby state. The windshield camera isn't even available to us in GG so it shouldn't even be active if GG is off and the vehicle is parked.
Oh the camera is absolutely a thing, it was addressed here and also anytime there are photos shown of snow covered R1T it’s melting right where the camera is located.

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Oh the camera is absolutely a thing, it was addressed here and also anytime there are photos shown of snow covered R1T it’s melting right where the camera is located.

Interesting. One of the comments mentions a small silver piece that appears to be a cellular connectivity part and it runs hot. Makes me second guess if turning off network entirely is actually the trick.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Interesting. One of the comments mentions a small silver piece that appears to be a cellular connectivity part and it runs hot. Makes me second guess if turning off network entirely is actually the trick.
Cell antenna array is inside the sharkfin up on the roof.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Also check out @Pixelshot (Rivian Dad) video that he posted at the 6:15 mark you can see numerous R1T and R1S on the lot on a snowy day in Denver that all have snow melting around the camera.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire drain - what's the latest battery % loss people are getting? 1679434614377

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Also check out @Pixelshot (Rivian Dad) video that he posted at the 6:15 mark you can see numerous R1T and R1S on the lot on a snowy day in Denver that all have snow melting around the camera.

1679434614377.png
WassymRivian on that Reddit thread explicitly mentions the windshield camera (if that is the culprit for heat and not the cell antenna) should be off when the truck is in sleep mode, and especially if GG is off.

Wassym's got some 'splainin to do!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
WassymRivian on that Reddit thread explicitly mentions the windshield camera (if that is the culprit for heat and not the cell antenna) should be off when the truck is in sleep mode, and especially if GG is off.

Wassym's got some 'splainin to do!
Agree - clearly its on for ALL vehicles!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Went into the office today for a typical 8 hour workday at 199 miles and 64%. Came back out to 201 miles and 65%. Parked in a underground parking garage. No kWh usage. 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored