First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
5% in 48 hours of single digit weather isn't too bad.

I was losing like 3% in 10 hours of 40 degree weather.
5% in 48 hours of any temperature is 1000% unacceptable. This is a huge problem that nobody is taking seriously. That's over 1200kwh per year which is about the same as a full month of power for me. Are you OK with throwing away $150-$300+ (depending on where you live) for absolutely no reason?
Sponsored

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

This is my test. Left it plugged in for 62.75 hours.

Locked, GG on - but off at home, PAAK app on.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % CP

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
5% in 48 hours of single digit weather isn't too bad.

I was losing like 3% in 10 hours of 40 degree weather.
That's horrible.... I'm guessing you have not owned an EV before?

Even in single digit temps.. our BMW i3 has no range loss overnight, my Bolt didn't either and even our Model 3 shows only like 1-2mi range loss in 24hrs in single digit temps.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Vampire drain. It should be the #1 priority for Rivian software engineers.
Agreed!

But when you have owners accepting 5% loss over 48hrs as "not too bad" that's not particularly helping to further the cause.

Sponsored

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
5% in 48 hours of any temperature is 1000% unacceptable. This is a huge problem that nobody is taking seriously. That's over 1200kwh per year which is about the same as a full month of power for me. Are you OK with throwing away $150-$300+ (depending on where you live) for absolutely no reason?
Sorry, I should have said, that's not as bad as what others have reported. Obviously still not acceptable. But I think if you have the frunk issue, it doesn't let the car sleep at all and you see much higher drains.

As I mentioned, for me this was nearly a mile of loss per hour.

Second night in a row without the trim, 9pm was at 189 miles... 6:30am 190 miles. So two nights in a row with the trim out, and zero drain. As opposed to the 5 nights in a row with the trim in, where I was losing 8 to 10 mi per night.

I guess the next test will be to reluctantly put the trim back and see what happens.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
^ why put the trim back on if your drain has dropped significantly?

I think it will "catch up with you" and you'll see it go back up to 6miles/day loss even without the trim attached. I think the GOM (range Guess-O-Meter) is seeing much less loss than previously (because you removed the trim piece) and is not predicting range correctly now and needs to re-calibrate itself.

My theory is there are two categories of vehicles:
1) Vehicle with trim issue and regular vampire loss
2) Vehicle with no trim issue, just regular vampire loss

If you're #1 and you remove the trim piece, you move to a cat 2 situation.. but it will take time for the GOM to adjust because of historical losses.
If you're cat 2 and you remove your trim piece and see no change in vampire loss (like me) that means your trim piece was okay to begin with and was not preventing vehicle sleep state.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
It’s really interesting to me that the trim issue is fixing the problem for some but not for others.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I think if we could all see the sensors in the vehicle that'd probably have at least the cause of frunk solved through crowd sourcing. I don't think "144$ a year(my math for my area not counting my solar power) " is that bad tbh(re: 5% in 48 hours), you lose a lot more in ICE cars idling, etc than that, you just don't have a clear way to measure it.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I think if we could all see the sensors in the vehicle that'd probably have at least the cause of frunk solved through crowd sourcing. I don't think "144$ a year(my math for my area not counting my solar power) " is that bad tbh(re: 5% in 48 hours), you lose a lot more in ICE cars idling, etc than that, you just don't have a clear way to measure it.
At the national average of $0.23 per kWh, it comes out to around $283 per vehicle but the waste from one individual's vehicle isn't really the issue. When you measure the waste against the entire production run of R1 vehicles, the sum is staggering. We're talking about tens of thousands of Megawatt hours of wasted electricity and the figure gets worse every day. Sure, idling an ICE is worse than parking a R1 but that's not really the right comparison, is it? We should compare the R1T to the Ford Lightning which has negligible vampire drain or any of the other modern EVs which also show very little wasteful vampire drain. I understand why getting this fixed might not be a critical priority for Rivian right now considering the other issues they're facing but I really hope they are dedicated to solving this issue. Rivian isn't Hummer; conspicuous waste will destroy their brand identity. I can only speak for myself but if I knew Rivian couldn't fix the drain through a software update, I wouldn't buy an R1T.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
At the national average of 0$.23 per kWh, it comes out to around $283 per vehicle but the waste from one individual's vehicle isn't really the issue. When you measure the waste against the entire production run of R1 vehicles, the sum is staggering. We're talking about tens of thousands of Megawatt hours of wasted electricity and the figure gets worse every day. ...
This!!

For a supposed "green", earth friendly company.. they certainly talk the talk... but they ain't walking the walk (yet)!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This!!

For a supposed "green", earth friendly company.. they certainly talk the talk... but they ain't walking the walk (yet)!
I'm pretty sure Rivian doesn't WANT the vampire drain - and they are working to fix it. I'm anxious to see how the next patch impacts this. That said, the more annoying part is when we are told that 2-4% per day is "normal" in the scheme of drain. It's not. And it's unacceptable. Agree with @sacramentoelectric

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This!!

At the national average of $0.23 per kWh, it comes out to around $283 per vehicle but the waste from one individual's vehicle isn't really the issue. When you measure the waste against the entire production run of R1 vehicles, the sum is staggering. We're talking about tens of thousands of Megawatt hours of wasted electricity and the figure gets worse every day. Sure, idling an ICE is worse than parking a R1 but that's not really the right comparison, is it? We should compare the R1T to the Ford Lightning which has negligible vampire drain or any of the other modern EVs which also show very little wasteful vampire drain. I understand why getting this fixed might not be a critical priority for Rivian right now considering the other issues they're facing but I really hope they are dedicated to solving this issue. Rivian isn't Hummer; conspicuous waste will destroy their brand identity. I can only speak for myself but if I knew Rivian couldn't fix the drain through a software update, I wouldn't buy an R1T.
You could argue LITERALLY anything on that ground though. "Solar roof isn't worth it because it barely powers the AC" but if you put it on a million cars it's a HUGE amount of solar power benefit. Thus my comparison to ICE, and literally any other aspect of the truck or any vehicle. You could argue anything is inefficient compared to X but only when you're measuring that. So you HAPPEN to measure 'vampiric drain' but not literally any other inefficiency on any other vehicle.(Heat pumps, ac, actual efficiency in various conditions) because this is the one you can see, and ITS the line, kinda laughable imo. I have no doubt they can continue to improve it(as Tesla did), but maybe a little over dramatic here.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

You could argue LITERALLY anything on that ground though. "Solar roof isn't worth it because it barely powers the AC" but if you put it on a million cars it's a HUGE amount of solar power benefit. Thus my comparison to ICE, and literally any other aspect of the truck or any vehicle. You could argue anything is inefficient compared to X but only when you're measuring that. So you HAPPEN to measure 'vampiric drain' but not literally any other inefficiency on any other vehicle.(Heat pumps, ac, actual efficiency in various conditions) because this is the one you can see, and ITS the line, kinda laughable imo. I have no doubt they can continue to improve it(as Tesla did), but maybe a little over dramatic here.
What are you talking about? I can't really follow what you're getting at and you seem to have your example backwards. My point was about collective impact as well. Your example about the collective benefit of solar would seem to support my logic but again, I'm not really following you. This thread is about vampire drain. That's what we're talking about. We could compare vampire drain in EVs vs ICE vehicles but why? We're not comparing ICE efficiency to EVs. Nobody is arguing that. Rivian has a vampire drain problem. They suck electricity sitting still like no other EV. There's nothing dramatic about math. It's not an opinion. If you don't think R1 vehicles unnecessarily wasting tens of thousands of megawatts of electricity a year sitting in parking lots is a problem, ok. I care and I think most people who want to reduce their environmental impact by switching to an electric vehicle will care too.

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are you talking about? I can't really follow what you're getting at and you seem to have your example backwards. My point was about collective impact as well. Your example about the collective benefit of solar would seem to support my logic but again, I'm not really following you. This thread is about vampire drain. That's what we're talking about. We could compare vampire drain in EVs vs ICE vehicles but why? We're not comparing ICE efficiency to EVs. Nobody is arguing that. Rivian has a vampire drain problem. They suck electricity sitting still like no other EV. There's nothing dramatic about math. It's not an opinion. If you don't think R1 vehicles unnecessarily wasting tens of thousands of megawatts of electricity a year sitting in parking lots is a problem, ok. I care and I think most people who want to reduce their environmental impact by switching to an electric vehicle will care too.
Let me spell it out simple, you are hard focusing on a single point of inefficiency, and there are 1000s(I don't see you guys referencing the increase in efficiencies out of the drivetrain, that will save money - that's what's called an example). I fully expect it will improve, like Tesla did. FInal point, it's not the end of the world, and doesn't mean they are anti-green.(LOL)
Sponsored