Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

That jives with all the timelines and explains the extreme delay on communication. It also confirms Munro's two motor drive improvement suggestion based on their teardown.

I'm interested to know why the 1/2" gap was mentioned and what that will look like.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Still hoping Rivian extends warranty now by at least a year for all people who have a powered tonneau, for the powered tonneau....

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Hoping it is able to be mobile repair. Nearest SC is now closer, but still not close.

Mine got jammed again after a recent trip, and would only open one slat width. I put in a service request then, but was told the replacement wouldn't be available until "the end of summer". Since then I was able to get it free and open the cover. I washed out the tracks, and reapplied the WD-40 dry lube, and it is working again, but still makes all the bad noises that don't inspire confidence that it will continue to do so.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I have 0 expectation for a timely process to work through these replacements (that it will start on time or be completed quickly). I hope the rumor about a half inch gap is not true, as that means anything under the tonneau will get drenched every time it rains.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have 0 expectation for a timely process to work through these replacements (that it will start on time or be completed quickly). I hope the rumor about a half inch gap is not true, as that means anything under the tonneau will get drenched every time it rains.
I read that as the cover extends from the back of the cab by 1/2" when OPEN... At least I really, really hope that's the case...

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
It's not a half-inch gap. It's that when the tonneau is open, there's a 1/2" protrusion into the bed. I don't have the current powered tonneau, but from my understanding that's basically what it is right now. The little rubber seal sticks into the bed.

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If it really does stick out when open, I can only imagine that creating a repair nightmare too. When mine stuck out, and I was loading the bed A LOT of stuff was pushing against the part that was sticking out. That uneven pressure is going to cause it to bind over time.

It's one of the reasons I added the built-right back panel. So I can do things to make sure the tonneau (when it worked) wasn't going to get jammed up from stuff pushing against it while retracted.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I read that as the cover extends from the back of the cab by 1/2" when OPEN... At least I really, really hope that's the case...
That's how I understood it as well. That's also how my current tonneau is.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Went to use my this past weekend and it wouldn't open. Would back up less than half an inch and stop.
While I've got a ticket in - need to see what some of this comes up as for others as well after replacement.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
If they have to replace all of the plastic on top of the bed and the rails, this won't be a quick fix per vehicle...and there's what 10,000 to fix?

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
If they have to replace all of the plastic on top of the bed and the rails, this won't be a quick fix per vehicle...and there's what 10,000 to fix?
And service is already backed up. I can only imagine how long this is going to take with an overstretched service team already.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Perhaps since all the bed rail plastic etc. is replaced, there is hope for a retrofit of automatic for those people who were forced to remove the auto cover. Eventually.......

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Does anyone have some intel on when the powered tonneau will be an option on new vehicles again?

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Does anyone have some intel on when the powered tonneau will be an option on new vehicles again?
There’s nothing official from Rivian, so the best we are going to get right now are rumors — which can do more harm than good.

I hope we get more communication from Rivian re: updated PTC production next month with the new delivery estimates, manual tonneau shipments, and existing PTC repairs.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

This is like a real life demonstration of why the dealer system works for other brands and why the auto industry has found ways to make dealers money through parts, financing, service, and adm. Dealers, as bad as they are, take huge risks by taking on a brand and servicing their customers, hiring techs, staffing and everything that goes along with it. It's no joke. It's easy to think you can cut out the costs by eliminating dealers, but you still have to build all that shit.
Sponsored