Sponsored

SherpaDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 C2S Cab, Ridgeline, Dakota SXT, Ram 50, R1T Or
Occupation
Consultant
Quickly? It's been an issue prerelease, mine has been broken from day one which is 11 months ago!
Im in the same boat - my truck was delivered in Sept without a function tonneau making the bed useless - very happy to hear there is finally something out there to resolve this issue
Sponsored

Ctenophore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Yeah, I don't see them switching out the trim piece at anything less than an exorbitant price. But if the wiring harness for the auto is present maybe they will give it a college try to upsell current manual tonneau holders.
Who knows; maybe they can simplify the issue by making a precision cut for the button on the existing trim without weakening it. I hope they find a solution for upgrading to the auto tonneau.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Hi, Mr. Grumpy Pants here.

It’s been raining all weekend and I really needed my broken tonneau to be working so I could cover stuff.

Frustrating.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Last time I spoke with service, a week or two ago, they indicated that they haven’t seen the new powered design yet. Which is not confidence inspiring for a summer 23’ timeframe.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

My tonneau just malfunctioned - have owned since 9/11/2022, so that's about 9 months.

The last slat gets stuck on something (see video) and won't fully retract. I don't think I've ever been this happy to have a part break. I am going to file a ticket and get in line for the redesigned one.

EDIT - I just noticed a twig likely cause the obstruction, but I'm reporting it anyway and getting in line for the new one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Yeah, I don't see them switching out the trim piece at anything less than an exorbitant price. But if the wiring harness for the auto is present maybe they will give it a college try to upsell current manual tonneau holders.
I would buy it most likely.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I submitted my ticket via the app and Rivian Service just called me back.

They made an SC appointment for me on 7/25, but I also added a few other "Customer Service Campaigns" to my service requests. Specifically:

1. RCA-38-23-001-1: Inadequate Halfshaft Spline
Interference (I think this is the low speed "tock")
2. RSB-56-23-001-1: Front Door Fixed Glass Molding
Separation (Wind noise, driver's side A-pillar)
3. RCA-52-22-003-1: One Way Drain Valve for Rocker
Panel Water Ingress (I saw water pouring out of the bottom of my front passenger side door once a couple days after a car wash - while the car was on an incline)

They said they would be eager to address all the Customer Service Campaign issues. I kept joking about the revised tonneau and the rep said they're hearing mid summer 2023 like the rest of us, but that if parts are available at the time of my appointment, they'd likely perform the work. As nice as that would be, I know the number of people waiting for this is quite extensive. I can be patient. Many have been waiting much, much longer for a fix.

In case anyone is curious, to find the Customer Service Campaigns, just go to NHTSA.gov and search for Rivian. You'll see tabs for Complaints, Recalls, Investigations, and Manufacturer Communications. The Customer Service Campaigns (and I think TSB's) will be listed under Manufacturer Communications.

Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau & Manual Tonneau Bed Covers Coming Mid-Summer! RJ Shows Off in First-Look Video 1686111614995

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
My tonneau just malfunctioned - have owned since 9/11/2022, so that's about 9 months.

The last slat gets stuck on something (see video) and won't fully retract. I don't think I've ever been this happy to have a part break. I am going to file a ticket and get in line for the redesigned one.

EDIT - I just noticed a twig likely cause the obstruction, but I'm reporting it anyway and getting in line for the new one.
When mine fails to open it is because two of the panels stick together such that they don't come apart to stack. It's most frequently the two closest to the cab for me. You might try tapping along the seam where it stops to "break" the those panels apart, like knocking on a door. That has worked for me.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone have an update on what "mid-summer" might look like? I'd REALLY like to get my hands on this along with the Rivian tailgate pad prior to a few camping and summer road trips. I probably won't take my Rivian, again, if the tonneau doesn't come in the next ~6 weeks.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Anyone have an update on what "mid-summer" might look like? I'd REALLY like to get my hands on this along with the Rivian tailgate pad prior to a few camping and summer road trips. I probably won't take my Rivian, again, if the tonneau doesn't come in the next ~6 weeks.
In Rivian terms, this means they will start going out to Service Centers in October or so. Depending on where you end up in line, you might be able to get it installed by Christmas but I wouldn't hold your breath. The only thing that you can really be certain of is that you won't be getting it installed in "mid-summer" of 2023.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
In Rivian terms, this means they will start going out to Service Centers in October or so. Depending on where you end up in line, you might be able to get it installed by Christmas but I wouldn't hold your breath. The only thing that you can really be certain of is that you won't be getting it installed in "mid-summer" of 2023.
I know but I'm holding out hope...

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Rivian has been giving me an icky feeling lately, like the one you get when you know you're being taken advantage of. Honestly, I'm 50/50 on pulling the plug even though I am only a few weeks from my April/May delivery window. (not just about the tonneau)
Agreed. Max pack changes have really chapped my bumper. 5% due to the change and 95% from lack of communication.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed. Max pack changes have really chapped my bumper. 5% due to the change and 95% from lack of communication.
Sounds like you could use some of this while you wait...
Rivian R1T R1S Updated Powered Tonneau & Manual Tonneau Bed Covers Coming Mid-Summer! RJ Shows Off in First-Look Video Rust-eze2

In all seriousness though, I definitely understand your frustration.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Sounds like you could use some of this while you wait...
Rust-eze2.jpg

In all seriousness though, I definitely understand your frustration.
It's all about the comm. Notice how Tony isn't sending out those vague, text
book touch-point emails anymore? It's because they made things worse by causing more questions than giving answers.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
For those who just love tonneau rumors
Sponsored