First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
From the email that was just sent out:

What should I do in case of emergency?
If you are experiencing an emergency, please dial 911. At this time, we are unable to remotely access your vehicle. If you are locked out of your vehicle, and need to retrieve your key fob, key card or wrist band, we will provide rideshare credits at 855-RIVIAN5 (855-748-4265).
Call 911? Rideshare credits because Rivian essentially stranded you?

The app needs to cache credentials or shouldn't require the vehicle to access the internet for PAAK to work. What a catastrophically stupid design choice.

FFS. This is ridiculous.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
From the email that was just sent out:

Call 911? Rideshare credits because Rivian essentially stranded you?

The app needs to cache credentials or shouldn't require the vehicle to access the internet for PAAK to work. What a catastrophically stupid design choice.

FFS. This is ridiculous.
Apparently it does cache the tokens but opening the app and not being able to authenticate is hosing the token. It has been reported that people that did not open the app are able to use PAAK.

I just find it interesting that many people do not have a keycard in their wallets.

jaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Welcome to the beta testers party. Even if this was an identity issue/outage outside of Rivianā€™s control (probably not or they would have mentioned in the email), serious wake up call on what they need to fix to keep users from being stranded.

Here's my proposed solution (Rivian, you out there listening?):

Subaru has a "PIN to access" feature that you set, where you push the rear hatch button the # of times, it beeps, then you move to press the next # in the PIN. It's time consuming, but it's intended for emergencies like this.

Rivian does the same with the frunk button. They then introduce an Emergency Start passcode you can set and use on the main screen. It's 2-factor-authentication that should be very secure (or people can choose to not set it if they're concerned)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Apparently it does cache the tokens but opening the app and not being able to authenticate is hosing the token. It has been reported that people that did not open the app are able to use PAAK.

I just find it interesting that many people do not have a keycard in their wallets.
Big same. This would be a minor eh type moment for me as I grabbed my wallet and used the keycard. I will take the FOB tomorrow though just to be sure.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I have one in my wallet, but sometimes leave it locked in the truck assuming that I can use PAAK to unlock it. Running out to drop items off at the post office or whatnot is a good example.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I use my wristband for access everyday. This is absolutely how it is supposed to behave. FWIW, it has always behaved this way for me.
I guess it's entirely possible I always hit the timeout because I needed to unlock the truck to pull the charger out before getting in.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
An extra key fob for everyone would be nice.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
An extra key fob for everyone would be nice.
Call support, they can order one for you, I purchased a second one after I picked up my R1S. I think it was around $200 configured.

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

I just stopped carrying a wallet at all about 6 months ago - in an age of everything EDC and people seeming to want to carry entire Batman utility belts around, I have my iPhone with a MagSafe wallet - holds my ID and 2 credit cards. It's...liberating.

House has a smart lock so no need for a house key (although this recently burned me so now I keep a spare house key in one of my cars)
Vehicle now uses my phone as a key...

I'm adding a keycard to my work bag so that I don't get stranded here again, and I trust that future app updates/methodologies identified here will improve the robustness of PaaK without network access (plus that "new car obsession" will go away in ~10 days and i won't be constantly opening my app :D)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I just stopped carrying a wallet at all about 6 months ago - in an age of everything EDC and people seeming to want to carry entire Batman utility belts around, I have my iPhone with a MagSafe wallet - holds my ID and 2 credit cards. It's...liberating.

House has a smart lock so no need for a house key (although this recently burned me so now I keep a spare house key in one of my cars)

I'm adding a keycard to my work bag so that I don't get stranded here again, and I trust that future app updates/methodologies identified here will improve the robustness of PaaK without network access (plus that "new car obsession" will go away in ~10 days and i won't be constantly opening my app :D)
Don't count on that obsession going away too soon. I've had my truck since September and I'm still pretty frequently playing with the app.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

I just think about phones being stolen. I know last year at Coachella they caught a couple with over a hundred stolen phones, that would be a lot of stranded people if they are using PAAKā€¦..

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Just walked out to my truck a bit ago and the PaaK is still working, but haven't opened the app either. I also have a key card in my wallet.

ER1T

First Name
Er
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT
Strangeā€¦Iā€™ve been running errands for the last few hours, and havenā€™t had any issues with PAAK. Glad I keep the key card in my wallet though, just in case. Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G running app version 1.12.0

mmiles2012

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

Don't count on that obsession going away too soon. I've had my truck since September and I'm still pretty frequently playing with the app.
Frequently? Sure. Hourly will probably slow down at some point though.

Related: I was looking because my climate controls in the app seem to be greyed out. Is there some setting I missed in the infotainment system to activate this?

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
Strangeā€¦Iā€™ve been running errands for the last few hours, and havenā€™t had any issues with PAAK. Glad I keep the key card in my wallet though, just in case. Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G running app version 1.12.0
it works so long as you don't open the app. Once you do it will sign you out and it will not work.
Sponsored