First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You should need to be logged in to retrieve the credentials, but it's perfectly reasonable for those credentials to have some offline lifetime, before the truck & server automatically rotate or manually revoke the credentials.

Say, 36 hours with 12-hour rotation would be good.
PAAK should not require internet access for every use. That's incredibly stupid and short sighted. So this means that PAAK will not work if you are outside of cell coverage????? WT Actual F?

They should cache a key/certificate on the app that is good for 7 days.
Sponsored

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
PAAK should not require internet access for every use. That's incredibly stupid and short sighted. So this means that PAAK will not work if you are outside of cell coverage????? WT Actual F?

They sort of do, as evidenced by how the PAAK kept working for people who did not open the app - which is why the Rivian email says not to open it or interact with it in any way. I don't know what the lifetime is.

That said, handling this gracefully should be a stated design goal, not just a happy accident for half your audience - and a failure that leaves one stranded for the other half.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

100% this. It's not like people don't venture off grid to areas without coverage.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
They sort of do, as evidenced by how the PAAK kept working for people who did not open the app - which is why the Rivian email says not to open it or interact with it in any way. I don't know what the lifetime is.

That said, handling this gracefully should be a stated design goal, not just a happy accident for half your audience - and a failure that leaves one stranded for the other half.
Got it, I missed that it was still working if you didn't open the app. Clearly they did a crap job of analyzing use case failure modes.

Sponsored

Bttrylfe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Battery Energy Storage Project Manager
One thing I’ve noticed is that the sensor location for keycard access seems kind of sensitive. I’ve had to hold the keycard flat against the door handle and sloooowly slide it back and forth along the handle until it communicated. Has she already tried this?
The tech had her try both sides of the card and hold/slide it slowly along the handle. I'm wondering if the card was somehow corrupted?

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
I posted this somewhere, but the post appears to have gotten list in a thread merge.

We saw this issue on the forums. We refrained from looking at the app, already open on our phones, went to our truck and it unlocked and drove normally. I can’t say if this will work for everyone, but it worked from us. We also carry the key cards as a backup, but we did not have to use them today.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure why, the tech thinks it unpaired from the truck. He had to escalate and will get back to me.
Sometimes my truck still takes an unnecessarily long time to wake up and read the wristband key on the handle if the truck is locked. Like upwards of 15-20 seconds. Don't move the card around, just keep it in the same spot on the handle and it eventually works. Only the driver's side front door handle has the radio in it.

It doesn't require internet access but something happened with the app that was causing it to log people out when opened up. If you log-out it probably nukes the tokens that might have been saved.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

The tech had her try both sides of the card and hold/slide it slowly along the handle. I'm wondering if the card was somehow corrupted?
That is frustrating. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I went to demo my new Rivian for the 3rd time today and cannot enter the car. i can't log into th eapp and 2 cards and fob are INSIDE THE TRUCK. I do have a wristband at home though, so maybe wifey can bring it..

Embarassing.
Note to self.... keep a card on you at all times.
Why do you keep the rest of the keys IN the truck? Aren't you worried about someone smashing a window and stealing your whole truck?

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
Customer support was nice enough to send me enough credits to use "Uber Pet" so the pup and I aren't stranded at work.

OP
OP

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Welcome to the beta testers party. Even if this was an identity issue/outage outside of Rivian’s control (probably not or they would have mentioned in the email), serious wake up call on what they need to fix to keep users from being stranded.
Sponsored