Tonneau cover issues

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I talked to a service advisor today about my tonneau issues, and he said they’re not even sending out replacement parts for them any more because the upgraded replacements are failing just as much. Expect a better fix soon.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Had a first mile drive recently. Learned a tidbit regarding a tonneau cover design upgrade. The service person said the current design uses one motor to retract the cover. The one motor pulls the cover in unevenly and it can bind. The upgrade coming later this year adds a second motor on the other side to pull the cover in evenly and reduce the chance of binding. He said it will be a free upgrade for all existing trucks.
That's exactly what I initially thought after reading about all of the tonneau cover issues. The cover is currently being pulled/pushed by one electric motor in the corner motor which can lead to the slats binding during the process.

With roughly 8k R1T's in circulation it won't be a cheap warranty fix for Rivian.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
That's exactly what I initially thought after reading about all of the tonneau cover issues. The cover is currently being pulled/pushed by one electric motor in the corner motor which can lead to the slats binding during the process.

With roughly 8k R1T's in circulation it won't be a cheap warranty fix for Rivian’s supplier
FTFY…depending on who designed it.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

My truck is in for service right now, and I mentioned that my tonneau is making noise but still working. They told me that they would clean it, but Rivian isn’t letting them replace any tonneaus until they get an updated design

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My truck is in for service right now, and I mentioned that my tonneau is making noise but still working. They told me that they would clean it, but Rivian isn’t letting them replace any tonneaus until they get an updated design

Hope this means a fix is coming relatively soon. You're not the first person to note that service seems to be done with anything beyond lubrication of the cover. As these things begin to wear out in greater numbers I can't imagine everyone will be content just sitting and waiting on Rivian indefinitely.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I try to remember to use my oversized California Car Duster on it every couple days. A quick brush across with it picks up the dust and keeps it from going inside when opening. Also any loose particles, I can effectively sweep them to the corner and either vacuum them up, simply pick them up if there's not too many or use a wet rag to do so. No clue if it will help, but my assumption is that keeping it as clean as possible and keeping as much crap out of the place it stores certainly can't hurt anything.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

With roughly 8k R1T's in circulation it won't be a cheap warranty fix for Rivian.
It's one motor but two cogs on a jackshaft, so it is driven equally on both sides. It's not because there's one motor, it's an alignment issue with the cogs engaging to the slats. One picture in another thread shows the end of the slat skewed/loose. Poor design and manufacturing resulting in sloppy tolerances of the slats.

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mine is at the service center now for the hood latch issue (replaced) and they gave me the option of fully closing the tannau or removing the slats entirely until the new design is available, and I choose to remove them (they stopped working the 3rd day I had my R1T), as I haven't been able to use the truck bed for 5 weeks now...

beckhome09

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver 2022 R1T, Blue 2015 BMW 428i convertible
Occupation
Retired Air Force
#1 redesign fix... don't use black plastic for the cover panels. I could only imagine the warping at 110F ambient down south heat at noontime on a cloudless day. That black plastic is probably 140-150F and probably expands tremendously. There is a reason outdoor furniture is light colored....
I agree with you on the materials used. I had my truck all of a week before the cover jammed into the sidewall so tight that it caused an indentation in the truck bed. When i sent the information to Rivian about the failure; I got an email the day of saying they are working on a repair plan for me but then no one contacted me. After two days, i contacted customer service and they told me that tonneau cover repairs are on a pause until a new designed is deployed. Not a good look, but anyways; i advised them again that mine was stuck a quarter open; they updated the service request to close it until they can redesign the unit. As a side note; has anyone else noticed that the front quarter panel on the truck appear to be made out of plastics?

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
That CRC graphite lube is pretty much sold out everywhere I looked. Walmart.com claims to have some, we’ll see next week if it ships.

Has anyone actually used the CRC spray on their Rivian rails? Worried about overspray as I’ve read it very difficult to clean up.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
That CRC graphite lube is pretty much sold out everywhere I looked. Walmart.com claims to have some, we’ll see next week if it ships.

Has anyone actually used the CRC spray on their Rivian rails? Worried about overspray as I’ve read it very difficult to clean up.
It’s very easy to apply so overspray is entirely on the user. The gap in the rail is big enough to make application pretty easy.

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have a stuck cover too. Monday when they put the spare tire in (finally ;-), they will open the cover for me. They said there is a new design and they will get more information in August. So, if they meet their schedule by Aug 31 we should have more info.

snomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XV Crosstrek
Joining the tonneau club. I've always kept it free of debris (besides dust), and after 2 months of ownership it won't open more than 25%.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
I never got to join the club, membership was revoked before delivery, they 'locked' it as it wasn't working, and very likely to fail inconveniently.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
And this is why I try not to use the tonneau for now. Currently I don’t need to use the bed, so just keep it closed since hopefully a fix is coming SOON.
Sponsored