Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Whenever I finally get my truck, I'll just leave the tonneau open all the time. Unless, of course, they have the redesigned unit done by the time it gets here.
Sponsored

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
While retracting, I just slowly and continually bang with my fist on the center of the slats as they go into the storage area. If it stops, back it up a bit and try again, but bigger bangs. It seems that the center flexed up and gets caught wanting to make it stop or go sideways. A bit of manual force seems to work wonders.

Has worked for me the last dozen plus times whereas before I couldn't get it open ever.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Does it count as "broken" if I have so little faith in it that I just keep it open and don't let anyone mess with it so it doesn't break in the halfway or closed position?

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
And this is why I try not to use the tonneau for now. Currently I don’t need to use the bed, so just keep it closed since hopefully a fix is coming SOON.
This is the pattern I follow too. Stays closed and I reach under to pull stuff out. Fingers crossed it lasts long enough for the updated parts to arrive.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Whenever I finally get my truck, I'll just leave the tonneau open all the time. Unless, of course, they have the redesigned unit done by the time it gets here.
That’s my plan. I’ll close it for road trips only when I have stuff to lock in the bed.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
I feel like I'm getting close to joining the tonneau club. After the update Monday, probably just a coincidence, it now sounds labored while opening and closing. Lubed again and reset vehicle did nothing.

Spoke with support and they opened a ticket so I can get in line. Based on my discussion sounds like a new design is being worked on and they'll just do a recall and replace covers.

Thats a great idea but it sucks if this cover breaks in either an open, closed, or anywhere in between. I use my truck for work and its been great for a couple months till yesterday. :(

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I am not someone who usually tempts fate, but today I closed my tonneau cover after leaving it open since taking delivery and then also opened it in the same day. It worked both times so I'm just going to call it a win and not touch it or look at it again for a few weeks.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
I think somebody mentioned that it seemed like it was opening and closing slower after the last update. I would 100% agree, it seems like the panels aren't catching as much on the rear plastic cover for them.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I think somebody mentioned that it seemed like it was opening and closing slower after the last update. I would 100% agree, it seems like the panels aren't catching as much on the rear plastic cover for them.
Might have to try to recalibrate mine then and see if I can get it to open. That is where mine always got stuck.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Not sure if it was one of the software updates buy my cover regularly didn't fully open or close even with resets. But then one day it just started working almost perfectly (retracts all the way now, but sometimes struggles to close completely).

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Might have to try to recalibrate mine then and see if I can get it to open. That is where mine always got stuck.
Much to my shock and amazement it works!! Previously I could only open until the first panel hit the trim at the front of the bed. I was able to recalibrate once and got it to open by pulling toward the rear (with a good amount of force). It opened and then closed but when I tried to open again it still stopped at the same spot.

This time it took the recalibration (still with me pulling toward the rear) and can open and close without help afterwards! Doesn’t sound the best and still sometimes gets a little stuck on the first panel but it keeps going. It does seem to move more slowly at the limits of opening and closing. I’m just happy it can work (hopefully) until it can be replaced in September.

Aonach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - Rivian Blue
Leaving it open doesn't fix the issue. I opened / closed mine about 8 times. Left it open figuring it was best. After about 2 weeks of not fiddling w it, I tried to close it. Only the first 2 slat sections came out. Then everything jammed and locked up. Going in for service. I think just leaving it closed is the way to go for efficiency. But I use my bed so wasn't an option.

2020rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Maserati
Occupation
Consultant
I feel like I'm getting close to joining the tonneau club. After the update Monday, probably just a coincidence, it now sounds labored while opening and closing. Lubed again and reset vehicle did nothing.

Spoke with support and they opened a ticket so I can get in line. Based on my discussion sounds like a new design is being worked on and they'll just do a recall and replace covers.

Thats a great idea but it sucks if this cover breaks in either an open, closed, or anywhere in between. I use my truck for work and its been great for a couple months till yesterday. :(
So I picked my truck up last Friday and I told the Rivian rep that I was already for everything, including I already had my cans of WD-40 dry lube for the cover. He then said to me, oh, you’re not gonna have to worry about that you have the new model with the new cover assembly. He went on to explain the original had one motor, but they added motors and I can’t remember I think he said there’s a total of three now. He said I wouldn’t need the WD-40 but it’s always good to use anyhow. I have not been able to verify this. Have any of you heard anything like this? My VIN is 99xx.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
So I picked my truck up last Friday and I told the Rivian rep that I was already for everything, including I already had my cans of WD-40 dry lube for the cover. He then said to me, oh, you’re not gonna have to worry about that you have the new model with the new cover assembly. He went on to explain the original had one motor, but they added motors and I can’t remember I think he said there’s a total of three now. He said I wouldn’t need the WD-40 but it’s always good to use anyhow. I have not been able to verify this. Have any of you heard anything like this? My VIN is 99xx.
Do us a favor. Please post a video of your cover opening completely and then close it completely. I bet we'll all know the difference based on its movement and sound. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored