First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Maserati
Occupation
Consultant
Do us a favor. Please post a video of your cover opening completely and then close it completely. I bet we'll all know the difference based on its movement and sound. Thanks in advance.
I certainly will but I am out of town until Friday. It’ll be Saturday before I can post. I did open and close it 10 times in a row after I was told that and there weren’t any issues. I’m not an expert, obviously, but it sounded the same to me, as I have heard on videos. I just can’t believe I’m the only one who has been told this… I hope he wasn’t blowing smoke up my ass. Not sure why he would do that.
Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Do us a favor. Please post a video of your cover opening completely and then close it completely. I bet we'll all know the difference based on its movement and sound. Thanks in advance.
Going to be a bit disappointed if I have to bring the truck back to the service
center for a retrofit as my appointment is in early Sept.

AZBruin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Retired
My delivery agent was very specific about making sure the track is kept very clean. I love the way it works now but an adventure vehicle is going to get dirty on adventures. I'm going to experiment with using the compressor to blow out the grit before closing.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Anyone else with a slight overlap of the panels? Or does everyone have this? the last two panels lay flat when it is out - the rest are slightly overlapping at one end.

CD4Complex

First Name
Quenton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm the same way. I actually plan on asking when I get a guide (LOL) if it would affect delivery significantly to get it without the powered tonneau. I assume the answer would be yes because they are probably only building batches with the powered cover until they start working on explore trim.
i asked this well before my delivery (December for July) and the answer at that stage was that the powered covers were first, so I chose that. In fact I received no cover, and was told by my very apologetic guide that it was removed until they had figured how to make them work without misalignment. So i assume if I had asked for manual cover, I would still be waiting 😁. Pah, a bit of snow on the tools won’t hurt then…

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
My tonneau “broke” today but then self repaired. It was open for a couple days. I tried to close it and two panels came out then everything stopped moving but the motor kept making noise.

I thought it might be stuck so I grabbed the panels to help it come out and, surprisingly, they disengaged from the rest of the cover, sliding loosely back and forth in my hand.

I slid the panels back to the far end of the bed, hit the “open” button and the two orphan panels engaged with the rest of the cover and disappeared.

Reluctantly I hit the “close” button one last time and all the panels came out to cover the entire bed.

Note: the cover has only been opened three times since I’ve owned the truck (10 days total). I said “broke” in quotes because I wouldn’t consider this actually breaking but wasn’t clear that this was behaving by design.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Add me to the list of broken tonneau covers.. mine just jammed up this morning. :mad: Appears it tore through some plastic liner on the inside of the track on the passenger side. I can't get it to move at all and the one panel sticking out is pretty much disconnected from the rest as I can pull it out almost.

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues t1

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues t3

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues t12

holmespun

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra 2014 1794 Edition
Occupation
Photographer
My cover broke first time I pushed the button, right off the delivery truck. Hoping I can have service at least open it all the way soon so I can use the bed.

Last edited:

r1tinNC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Canyon Red
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So I picked my truck up last Friday and I told the Rivian rep that I was already for everything, including I already had my cans of WD-40 dry lube for the cover. He then said to me, oh, you’re not gonna have to worry about that you have the new model with the new cover assembly. He went on to explain the original had one motor, but they added motors and I can’t remember I think he said there’s a total of three now. He said I wouldn’t need the WD-40 but it’s always good to use anyhow. I have not been able to verify this. Have any of you heard anything like this? My VIN is 99xx.
Just got mine out of service for the hood latch, and they removed my panels (after we had discussed the best thing to do while waiting for the repair/fix), and the service manager told me all the new trucks had the fixed tannau, but he wasn't sure what they changed, or when existing owners would be able to get theirs repaired, as the priority for now has been making sure all newer vehicles have the updated design.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Mine is broken or jammed or whatever. It opens all but the last 2 panels and then stops. I tried all the resets and what not and nothing worked. Luckily I got it fully closed so I'm leaving it that way and hoping I don't need the bed before the replacement parts come in. I was told late September for my target appt. time but nothing is scheduled yet.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I know if I change my configuration back to the powered tonneau I would probably get a truck sooner, but I’m keeping mine set with the so far imaginary manual cover. I don’t think the new design will be any better than the first one.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Seeing all this, I think I'm going to open mine the instant I get it… (making sure it is clean first.) And not close it until Rivian has confirmed good permanent fixes for the issue.

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We picked up our truck in March. Obviously have the "old" design and it has been problematic. Within the first week we had a deep long scratch develop in the cover on the Driver's side. A few months later a similar mark has developed on the passenger side.

We scheduled our seat recall service with Rivian and added the tonneau to the list of things to tweak/repair while they have it. Service said that they will likely replace it with the new design. I'll update this thread when we get the truck back.

Is their any way to tell if you have the "new" cover? I've heard that the panels lay flush vs the snaggletooth that mine have been from day 1, but that was from a former assembly employee who was not directly familiar with the cover mechanics.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Is their any way to tell if you have the "new" cover? I've heard that the panels lay flush vs the snaggletooth that mine have been from day 1, but that was from a former assembly employee who was not directly familiar with the cover mechanics.
Ours has overlapping panels which I thought was wrong, service tech told me they should be overlapping some, if they are flush they separate and if they overlap too much they hit the trim below the window… ours is apparently in the sweet spot and is working better than most. But the panels overlap a bit.

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Ours has overlapping panels which I thought was wrong, service tech told me they should be overlapping some, if they are flush they separate and if they overlap too much they hit the trim below the window… ours is apparently in the sweet spot and is working better than most. But the panels overlap a bit.
We use the hell our of our cover and it jams here and there, but overall has been ok. I had service out for an unrelated reason in April and the techs just laughed about the cover. They suggested lithium grease lubrication to keep it living longer. I do that regularly and it has helped, but I can tell that my cover is dying, which is why I figured I'd see if I can get it replaced now rather than later.
Sponsored