Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

That’s crazy! I know that the all-terrain tires are less mileage typically, but I just looked on Pirelli‘s website and they said up to 50,000 miles. I expected to replace them around 40,000 but definitely not 25. I’m also seeing issues with the sport tires as well on the forums.
I've never gotten anywhere near what tires are rated for because I drive like I stole it all the time.
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
If figure most electric cars will run through tires quickly. My Model Y is getting new tires at 15k miles. If can get 25k out of ATs I’m ok. Now a question is this with rotations or not? And at this point replacing at 25k anyways, is rotation even necessary?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
How did you get the credit? Was that from a tire store or the Tesla Service Center? Just curious how that works
FYI mileage guarantees offered by tire companies almost never apply to tires supplied with the vehicle. Yet you can buy the identical set of tires after the fact and get thst benefit. This is presumably so dealerships can sell their own coverage.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For the record here I replaced two of my 20" ATs at 17,700 miles. Some of the contributing factors include:

• Bad front end alignment for the first 11k miles
  • Lots of high speed cornering :like:
  • Lots of off-road miles :like: :like:

Overall I wasn't super angry, they probably had a bit of life left but after a pair of flats in one week while in Canada I decided to bite the bullet.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
If figure most electric cars will run through tires quickly. My Model Y is getting new tires at 15k miles. If can get 25k out of ATs I’m ok. Now a question is this with rotations or not? And at this point replacing at 25k anyways, is rotation even necessary?
It was with tire rotation, I believe she did it at 10,000 miles

Sponsored

R1Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
25k seems reasonable, imho. They're fairly aggressive for an OE tire and this is a HEAVY vehicle.

I've had plenty of other vehicles wear out tires in under 30k miles. If I get 25k out of my first set of R1T shoes then I'll be extremely pleased!
Except they were designed specifically for this vehicle. 25k is absurd to me.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
How did you get the credit? Was that from a tire store or the Tesla Service Center? Just curious how that works
I did not think of it for the first set. I got the credit from the second set at the tire store I purchased them from, they did it when I put the third set on.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
+10, would be happy to get 25k miles outta AT’s in this rig.

+1, may just go the LT snow tread route at higher pressures rather than wait for EV specifics from other tire cos such as Nokian or Michelin. Another member reported little to no loss in range with LT’s at higher pressures closer to 60 psi rather than Pirelli’s at 47 psi.

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

My wife’s Tesla X got ~10-12k on the OEM Conti’s. And they’re staggered. And crappy traction. We switched to Michelins this year and getting somewhat better wear. But the weight and torque of EVs will always eat tires. I’d love to get 25k on the Rivian AT’s. They’re also 3-peak snow rated, so a bit softer than regular AS tires.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I would say the first several mm of tread life meant to last 10k are sacrificed in the first 500 miles from launches, and as @OutofSpecKyle would say "Bwaa Bwaahp Bwaa" through the corners...

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
R1T: Save money on maintenance and fuel but tires wear out faster because it’s a heavy 3.5 ton pickup truck. Consistently drive it in Conserve mode (FWD) and your front tires will wear out faster than the rear.

Last edited:

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

In my opinion this is 90% due to the tires being pirelli. I don't know what it is about that brand, but I have always had problems with their tires cupping, being very sensitive to rotation, and wearing very fast. They have come on every one of my last 4 ford explorers from 2003 until now and my 2015 mustang, and a 2005 Ford focus my wife had, they all quite around 18k miles. In the car of the mustang there is somewhat of a tradition in the community of enjoying the burnout seeing on the car in the dealer lot riding the pirellis when you take delivery and then having the dealer take the car into the shop for better tires.

I never thought much of the hype of Michelin, but I bought them for one of the explorers and couldn't believe how great they were. They went ssy past the mileage, didn't need special rotations, and performed very well (in the case of the focus and mustang it was the difference between driving the vehicles in even a little snow vs not driving at all.

Since.the point I have bought (and paid dearly) for Michelins on all of vehicles, usually at Costco. I have always tried to get credit for the perelli's at the dealer when buying a new vehicle so I could get Michelins then, have always been rejected, and had to suffer through the first set of tires.

My only theory is that pirelli assumes everyone is formula one, has an unlimited budget for soft compound tires, and has the same quality control as Italian battery manufacturers (it is common for Italian exotix cars to have batteries removed immediately on import and replaced so they don't leave their owners stranded 2 weeks after purchase)

Last edited:

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
25k seems somewhat expected to me. It would be nice to get a bit more, but all terrain tires and 7k# (and immense immediate torque) conspire to grind rubber off tires....

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I’m getting < 30k on my Tesla Model S tires, have used the original Good Year, first set replaced were Pirelli, second replacement set went back to Good Year.

Did not ask about tread mileage warrenty for the originals but got a 45% credit from the 50k Pirelli warrenty when I replaced them after 28k towards a new set.

The problem is you have to use the credit towards a new set of pirelli's right?

Revelation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
The problem is you have to use the credit towards a new set of pirelli's right?
Usually, yes. Sometimes you can get approval to use the credit for a different brand, just don't count on it.
Sponsored