First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
My friend in KC who has the exact same configuration as my truck is telling me their tires need to be replaced by 25,000 miles. The current tread measurement is as followed:
DF: 3,4,4. PF: 3,4,5
DR: 7,6,2. PR: 7,6,3

I’ve heard about this in two other cases as well, now very concerned about my own truck. The shop Rivian service center is saying she needs to pay for four new tires, but this is ridiculous, aren’t they supposed to last up to 50,000 miles? I know that driving behaviors can change it, but this is insane.
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I would be VERY surprised if the ATs were much more than 25k. Heavy truck with AT tires = significant tire wear. I normally get 20-25k miles on my trucks. These have ranged from Toyota Tacomas, Sierra 1500s and Sierra 3500s. All have had some type of AT tire.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I would be VERY surprised if the ATs were much more than 25k. Heavy truck with AT tires = significant tire wear. I normally get 20-25k miles on my trucks. These have ranged from Toyota Tacomas, Sierra 1500s and Sierra 3500s. All have had some type of AT tire.
That’s crazy! I know that the all-terrain tires are less mileage typically, but I just looked on Pirelli‘s website and they said up to 50,000 miles. I expected to replace them around 40,000 but definitely not 25. I’m also seeing issues with the sport tires as well on the forums.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
25k seems reasonable, imho. They're fairly aggressive for an OE tire and this is a HEAVY vehicle.

I've had plenty of other vehicles wear out tires in under 30k miles. If I get 25k out of my first set of R1T shoes then I'll be extremely pleased!

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
25K was my experience as well on my Tacoma with A/T tires. Driven quite mildly, but 80% "city" miles. That was with the original Goodyear Wranglers; a pretty mild A/T.

KO2s (load range E) that were on the truck when I sold it looked like they might make 35k. But the K02s, while great in every other respect, were much more slippery on wet pavement due to both their harder compound and tread design.

And hat's a truck that weighed about 40% less and had about 10% of the power of the R1T :oops:.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
25k seems reasonable, imho. They're fairly aggressive for an OE tire and this is a HEAVY vehicle.

I've had plenty of other vehicles wear out tires in under 30k miles. If I get 25k out of my first set of R1T shoes then I'll be extremely pleased!
Hmmm, it sounds like I just need to re-calibrate my expectations. Thanks for the information

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
rotate tires often. If there’s a full size spare do a 5 tire rotation. Should extend the life of the set.

25k miles is pretty good for something so heavy and fast.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Tires Wearing Out by 25k miles, 20 inch A/T find-out-fuck-around

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My 21's in the front lasted a whole 11,000 miles. Thanks conserve mode!

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That’s crazy! I know that the all-terrain tires are less mileage typically, but I just looked on Pirelli‘s website and they said up to 50,000 miles. I expected to replace them around 40,000 but definitely not 25. I’m also seeing issues with the sport tires as well on the forums.
It’s a game all tire manufacturers play. Yes, it’s even more shady when the tire Pirelli specifically designed for Rivian will never come close to its maximum lifespan, which makes you wonder which vehicles they tested those tires on and where the number 50k mile comes from?

I’ve never in my life come close to the maximum rating on any AT tire I’ve ever purchased. I’ve had tires with 70k mile ratings that were worn out at 30k miles and 50k mile rated tires make it to 35k miles. The best you can hope for is that you somewhat get your money’s worth and know what the warranty is. If you can get a replacement set because they wore down quicker than advertised, that will buy you more time.

https://d3nv2arudvw7ln.cloudfront.n...onsumer_Warranty_J_14Oct2022_official_def.pdf

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I am definitely going for an LT tire with 16 to 18/32 of starting depth at first change. Should last much longer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m getting < 30k on my Tesla Model S tires, have used the original Good Year, first set replaced were Pirelli, second replacement set went back to Good Year.

Did not ask about tread mileage warrenty for the originals but got a 45% credit from the 50k Pirelli warrenty when I replaced them after 28k towards a new set.

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m getting < 30k on my Tesla Model S tires, have used the original Good Year, first set replaced were Pirelli, second replacement set went back to Good Year.

Did not ask about tread mileage warrenty for the originals but got a 45% credit from the 50k Pirelli warrenty when I replaced them after 28k towards a new set.
How did you get the credit? Was that from a tire store or the Tesla Service Center? Just curious how that works
Sponsored