Sponsored

Tire wear - how are your OEM Pirelli's or other brand holding up?

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I have had excessive tire wear of the rears on my quad, large, 22”.
Drive 99% on all purpose, low, moderate (formerly soft)
Alignment was done by Rivian Service when vehicle had 3000 miles on it. Now at 5800 miles rears are toast with the outside edges on both sides completely bald and the remaining tread at the markers (3/32). Any ideas as to why (other than misalignment) could have caused this excess wear?

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg
Ouch, are you driving in all purpose mode and standard ride height?

calpharo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S- Glacier White on black/ashwood. 22 darks
Occupation
Dentist
Clubs

Ouch, are you driving in all purpose mode and standard ride height?
All purpose, low ride height, moderate (previously soft), high regen

Alignment was “supposedly” done by Rivian service center after my car had to be dragged out sideways (by Rivian roadside assistance contacted tow) from a parallel parking spot when my car bricked back in November.

KarTruck

First Name
Abhi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Monster S2R
2022 R1T quad. Driven entirely in all purpose, low suspension.
21” OEMs wore out at 16.5K - ~3mm all around.
Replaced with 20” rim and Michelin Defenders. Much quieter, less precise in handling, less efficient. Will have to see how they wear (~700 miles so far).

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
I just had my second rotation at 10,777 miles
Drive 99% on all purpose w/auto ride height

2023 R1S
Quad
Large pack
22” Sport
current mileage: ~11,055
First Rotation - tread depth = 9/32 All 4
Second Rotation - tread depth = 7/32 All 4

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I have had excessive tire wear of the rears on my quad, large, 22”.
Drive 99% on all purpose, low, moderate (formerly soft)
Alignment was done by Rivian Service when vehicle had 3000 miles on it. Now at 5800 miles rears are toast with the outside edges on both sides completely bald and the remaining tread at the markers (3/32). Any ideas as to why (other than misalignment) could have caused this excess wear?

IMG_0748.jpeg

IMG_0719.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg
Almost certainly alignment. What's your cold tire pressure?

My wear was even across the tire but I still burned through a set of OE Scorpion Zeros in just over 10k miles because there was WAY too much toe from the factory. Unfortunately, I didn't get an alignment until I replaced the tires (with Continental Terrain Contact HT instead of the stock Pirelli).

calpharo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist
Clubs

Almost certainly alignment. What's your cold tire pressure?

My wear was even across the tire but I still burned through a set of OE Scorpion Zeros in just over 10k miles because there was WAY too much toe from the factory. Unfortunately, I didn't get an alignment until I replaced the tires (with Continental Terrain Contact HT instead of the stock Pirelli).
Cold tire pressure is 48psi

It just does not make sense if the alignment was done 3000 miles ago and when I looked at my paperwork they measured the tread depth at 7/32” at that visit. No potholes, no curbs, no off-roading. If it truly is the alignment that is the culprit then 2 possibilities: it was never aligned when they said they did or it was done improperly.

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

They keep changing the software. We all drive in different modes and heights on road trips. Too many variables to get a good feel for it. I got 23k miles on the 20 A/T but probably could have squeaked another 1-2k with the weather change. I think service centers say most are getting around 20-25k on them. 30k if you baby it. If you swap to something else you can get mileage warranties, but you're giving up efficiencies or capabilities as well. I feel like the OEM scorpions a/t are a great balance for sports car meets off-roader, but you sacrifice tire life to get there.
Pick a tire that meets your needs. I swapped to a different a/t in hopes that any mileage decrease will be harmless with the additional tesla locations. YRMV.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

It just does not make sense if the alignment was done 3000 miles ago and when I looked at my paperwork they measured the tread depth at 7/32” at that visit. No potholes, no curbs, no off-roading. If it truly is the alignment that is the culprit then 2 possibilities: it was never aligned when they said they did or it was done improperly.
Either not done or incorrectly done, indeed. Without a printout of before/after it's impossible to know. I will say that Rivian's alignment specs allow for quite a bit of toe while still being within spec and a busy/lazy alignment tech may not adjust something that is marginally within spec even though it would result in considerably accelerated tire wear.

calpharo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Dentist
Clubs

So just picked up my vehicle from service this morning. Thankfully they did the right thing and realigned my vehicle and did a goodwill replacement of the tires along with a rotation (putting the new tires up front). Overall much happier with this service experience (time involved and quality of service) compared to my previous experiences.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

i thought it might be interesting to see how others OEM Pirelli tires, or other brand you've installed, are doing 20s, 21s or 22s. i have the 20s. below is my config, current mileage, number of rotations and tread depth. hoping this will give me data points on whether to get the Pirelli's again or switch.

2023 R1T
Quad
Large pack
20" AT
95% drive in all-purpose mode, standard height
2 rotations (6000 miles)
current mileage: 13,500
tread depth = 10/32
2022 R1T, large pack, quad motor. Majority of miles is highway driving - only 2 stoplights in my county. Almost all driving is in all-purpose mode and no off road. I rotate the tires every 5000 miles.
Just hit 40,000 on my 21" OEM Pirelli tires. Current tread depth is 4/32. Planning on replacing in next week or so with same Pirelli tires.
Sponsored