First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE LG, 2023 R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
Concrete Polisher
@ $0.51 this is a convenience benefit but not cheap... or maybe it's in-line with NY prices?
I thought the same thing. Its pricey. I see using it only when in a jam, when towing, or on a road trip.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Magic docks require v3 superchargers, which excludes a lot of older stations because they are still on v2. Easy way to tell what version they are is if it says it's 150kW, it's v2. Looks like Fargo is 250kW, so should be v3 already, but Duluth is still v2.
Good point. I think the one in Carlton, MN is 250 kW and that's close to Duluth.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Magic docks require v3 superchargers, which excludes a lot of older stations because they are still on v2. Easy way to tell what version they are is if it says it's 150kW, it's v2. Looks like Fargo is 250kW, so should be v3 already, but Duluth is still v2.
I think they de-rate some as well depending on the location’s available power. They have some at Westminster Mall in Westminster, CA that are only 72 kW but pretty sure they are newer units.

I wonder if the magic dock is limit to 150 kW as I have not seen anyone using them report higher than 150. Don’t get me wrong, 150 is plenty fast enough for me and would love to see them open these up a lot more. If they are limited to 150, I wonder what would prevent them from retrofitting the V2 units?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wonder if the magic dock is limit to 150 kW as I have not seen anyone using them report higher than 150. Don’t get me wrong, 150 is plenty fast enough for me and would love to see them open these up a lot more. If they are limited to 150, I wonder what would prevent them from retrofitting the V2 units?
I've heard the adapter is limited to 350A, but it's possible they are just doing that until they have more information, which would keep with the whole Tesla theme of "the users of the product are the testers".

My speculation is they just don't want to support the older hardware going forward, but it could be related to the v2 infrastructure having power sharing whereas v3/v4 don't.

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Tesla to the rescue. Best charging experience with great reliability.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've heard the adapter is limited to 350A, but it's possible they are just doing that until they have more information, which would keep with the whole Tesla theme of "the users of the product are the testers".

My speculation is they just don't want to support the older hardware going forward, but it could be related to the v2 infrastructure having power sharing whereas v3/v4 don't.
I always thought they would be looking at adding these to the under utilized Superchargers to get more value out of them.

I know they are just now upgrading the Indio, CA station, had 8 150s and 2 72s, they just added 36 250s (they were installed but not powered up last week) but none have the magic dock. That is a very busy location, especially on busy weekends like Coachella and Stage Coach music festivals so would not expect it added there anytime soon.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
@ $0.51 this is a convenience benefit but not cheap... or maybe it's in-line with NY prices?
Our total (electricity + delivery infrastructure charge) residential rate is about $0.25/kWh on Long Island, so 51 cents/kWh isn't outrageous for NY.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The is an interesting explanation of Tesla Magic Dock by Kyle from Out of Spec He talks slow enough to easily watch at 1.5x.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I think they de-rate some as well depending on the location’s available power. They have some at Westminster Mall in Westminster, CA that are only 72 kW but pretty sure they are newer units.

yes, its limited to 150kw

Tesla isn't looking for ways to provide more power or implement CCS on V2. They are restricting benefits to maintain their competitive advantage.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Tesla to the rescue. Best charging experience with great reliability.
I think it's a little too early to say Tesla to the rescue with only a handful of magic docks. If they get to over a hundred locations by the end of 2023 then I would say they are actually helping.

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I'll take my nearly flawless EA station I use. At 0.29c/min, anything over 134 kW ends up being as cheap as my home 0.13c/kWh home utility rates. I use it where I stop to eat lunch and pick up groceries on my way to camp, so even going to 85 or 90% at the slower rates ends up only being 15-17c/kWh.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
As a Tesla owner I am going to play the NIMBY card and say I don't want Tesla to open up more of the SC network for CCS charging until they deploy the new V4 stations. If Elon is serious about this then he can implement this with a better solution (V4) and not the half a** way he is doing just to take a cut of some federal incentives.

The V3 stations are purpose built for Teslas and not meant for CCS, especially Rivians. The charging cable is so short that a Rivian will take up two (pull into the spot and grab the charger from the spot to the left) spots to charge at a Tesla SC stall.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

As a Tesla owner I am going to play the NIMBY card and say I don't want Tesla to open up more of the SC network for CCS charging until they deploy the new V4 stations. If Elon is serious about this then he can implement this with a better solution (V4) and not the half a** way he is doing just to take a cut of some federal incentives.

The V3 stations are purpose built for Teslas and not meant for CCS, especially Rivians. The charging cable is so short that a Rivian will take up two (pull into the spot and grab the charger from the spot to the left) spots to charge at a Tesla SC stall.
As it is even V4 stations won't qualify. They need to be able to accept payment right on the station, no app involvement.
Sponsored