First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Impala
Occupation
IT
Curious why you chose the dual-motor option. In an ironic twist, I'm eagerly waiting on 2022 to see the dual-motor R1 series will perform and how the different battery pack sizes will affect them (also to mention the introduction of their smaller {105 kwh was it?} battery pack.
The biggest reason I went with dual motor is AWD. Maybe it is my inexperience with EVs but the single motor cybertruck is rear wheel drive. Living in Ohio we do get snow and ice. ICE rear wheel vehicles preform badly in snow and ice.
Having something AWD will eventually make me want to explore off-roading.
Sponsored

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
The biggest reason I went with dual motor is AWD. Maybe it is my inexperience with EVs but the single motor cybertruck is rear wheel drive. Living in Ohio we do get snow and ice. ICE rear wheel vehicles preform badly in snow and ice.
You took the question as "why dual motor instead of single?" and maybe that's how they meant it, but...

I actually took it as "why dual motor instead of tri-motor?"

That's why my Cybertruck reservation is for :)

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Wouldn't going for a R1T dual-motor provide the same option? I mean, aye, it's still dual motor so you'll have AWD capabilities (which is also inclusive in the standard, quad-motor design).

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Wouldn't going for a R1T dual-motor provide the same option? I mean, aye, it's still dual motor so you'll have AWD capabilities (which is also inclusive in the standard, quad-motor design).
Has there been anything official on a dual motor Rivian?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Would a dual motor Rivian be AWD? Or would it be 2-motor FWD or RWD? It would take a lot more engineering redesign for them to make a dual motor AWD version than one thatā€™s still only powering 2 wheels.

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
It had been a while since I looked closely at the Tesla lineup, so today I went to one of their showrooms to check them out. The only models they had on hand were the 3 and the Y. In talking to the representative and viewing with my own eyes, it appeared to me that quality control and panel fitment is still not a priority for Elon. The representative said ā€œthese cars canā€™t be compared to Mercedes and the like for build quality.ā€ While I wouldnā€™t necessarily hold Tesla to that level, the cars really had a cheap feel to them TO ME. The wood grain on the dash looked like an afterthought. The body panel seams werenā€™t aligned, which I understand is common. Tesla sure has some great performance numbers though, with track times and range numbers second to none. But I just canā€™t get past the flaws. Does their S model have a significantly better build quality? If I wanted a track-only EV, a Tesla would be it. But with most of my drive time being on regular old city streets and highways, Iā€™m really looking forward to seeing the Rivian in person.
Iā€™m trying to find that unicorn of great build quality, 3sec 0-60, 11sec 1/4 mile, and 300+ mile range.
I believe a BIG reason more 'seasoned' vehicle companies have higher quality is because part of the design philosophy is to make it easy to achieve quality. So the designers are thinking about assembly process - not just look and feel. I know this is true for Toyota, I huge amount of a company's waste comes from poor design - that makes everything "downstream" more of a challenge require more correction and lower quality.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
There is no dual-motor Rivian...

Adamtbest

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Impala
Occupation
IT
This is where price comes in. Dual motor ct 49k, Rivian is 68k I believe. If they where the where the same price, I might go Rivian.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think they are referencing the VIN decoder has a letter code for a dual motor version of the R1T.

Other than that there has been no mention of a dual motor configuration.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
This is where price comes in. Dual motor ct 49k, Rivian is 68k I believe. If they where the where the same price, I might go Rivian.
They can be the same price depending on options. R1T with large pack is $60k after the $7.5k tax credit. Cybertruck dual motor is $60k with FSD. R1T will be faster and perhaps have more real world range (tbd).

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Has there been anything official on a dual motor Rivian?
Like many have already stated, it was revealed with in the VIN decoder thread that it's due sometime in 2022. When exactly? Who knows ?ā€ā™‚

As of yet, no. But later in 2022 ...

That $68K R1T is a quad-motor. I'd imagine that the dual motor variant will cost noticeably less, especially if the smallest battery pack option is available at the same time.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Given
Like many have already stated, it was revealed with in the VIN decoder thread that it's due sometime in 2022. When exactly? Who knows ?ā€ā™‚

As of yet, no. But later in 2022 ...

That $68K R1T is a quad-motor. I'd imagine that the dual motor variant will cost noticeably less, especially if the smallest battery pack option is available at the same time.
They are gonna struggle to get the normal versions out in 2022, I can't see something like this coming out within the next 3 years.
Sponsored