First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
I have close friends in upper leadership at GM. They share that while GM has very smart and talented people, their culture is their worst enemy. Tesla will make running changes to say the Model Y within 4-6 months. Example, their heat pump/octa valve, new rear mega cast, now 1 piece replaced multitudes. GM & Ford are in so deep with unions their are handicapped or handcuffed from making major transformations. Once Teslaā€™s Austin plant is operating (their are already making Y castings with no walls on the factory) the main unibody will be 3 large castings replacing hundreds of pieces, hundreds of welds, glue, self tapping screws, etc. This will lead to a more perfect body to now attach panels and thus reduce gaps/fitment, etc. I have seen thus far no such rapid advancements from GM.
s. GM & Ford are in so deep with unions their are handicapped or handcuffed from making major transformations----as handicapped with Tesla's on-going quality control issues in which new owners are expected to make a reservation with the service center several weeks after taking delivery to fix what the factory lets out the door?
Sponsored

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Kinda funny how the question started six pages of arguing :)

even managed to drag GM, Ford, and others into this.

I forget the social science that explains this trend, but it's one that can be annoying and you can find yourself in as well, Mac vs PC. iPhone vs Android, Sports Team A vs Sports Team B.

Tesla I think sometimes got to how it is because they 'started it'. What I mean by that is when it wasn't cool at all, they made a super expensive car, and they 'had a plan' where they make expensive cars to fund cheaper cars, and to save the human race. That means a lot to people and there is a small minority where this is the biggest issue. So if you say something detrimental they see you as attacking this idea vs just not liking that the AV doesn't have carplay (which is a huge issue to me, still, even with Rivian)

Also the folks that tend to love tesla come at it from a technology perspective and maybe weren't 'car people' before that.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Kinda funny how the question started six pages of arguing :)

even managed to drag GM, Ford, and others into this.

I forget the social science that explains this trend, but it's one that can be annoying and you can find yourself in as well, Mac vs PC. iPhone vs Android, Sports Team A vs Sports Team B.

Tesla I think sometimes got to how it is because they 'started it'. What I mean by that is when it wasn't cool at all, they made a super expensive car, and they 'had a plan' where they make expensive cars to fund cheaper cars, and to save the human race. That means a lot to people and there is a small minority where this is the biggest issue. So if you say something detrimental they see you as attacking this idea vs just not liking that the AV doesn't have carplay (which is a huge issue to me, still, even with Rivian)

Also the folks that tend to love tesla come at it from a technology perspective and maybe weren't 'car people' before that.
Kind of does not help when people look at things as black and white when in reality, we really live in a world with a myriad of gray shades.

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
We are all entitled to our opinions. Sadly, social media is an open platform where people, including me, go to share their opinions. We have devolved to a society that no longer values talking to each other (look an opinion) yet we hunger to speak our minds in forums and online. Lucky for me, I have a life outside of social media so I can express my opinions to those people I am lucky enough to have in my life as well as on forums. I have and love my Tesla M3P. that said, I cannot wait to get my R1S. Two vastly different vehicles. I do hope that in time, Rivian will develop a charging network that rivals Tesla. If not, then I'll charge at home. I have solar and power walls, so I"m good no matter what. The only time range anxiety will come into play is on long trips. Once again, lucky me, I don't do those. I fly instead.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Kind of does not help when people look at things as black and white when in reality, we really live in a world with a myriad of gray shades.
There is no grey, only black and white! Well, maybe there is beige also.

Sponsored

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
health care
We are all entitled to our opinions. Sadly, social media is an open platform where people, including me, go to share their opinions. We have devolved to a society that no longer values talking to each other (look an opinion) yet we hunger to speak our minds in forums and online. Lucky for me, I have a life outside of social media so I can express my opinions to those people I am lucky enough to have in my life as well as on forums. I have and love my Tesla M3P. that said, I cannot wait to get my R1S. Two vastly different vehicles. I do hope that in time, Rivian will develop a charging network that rivals Tesla. If not, then I'll charge at home. I have solar and power walls, so I"m good no matter what. The only time range anxiety will come into play is on long trips. Once again, lucky me, I don't do those. I fly instead.
Rivisn is not going to develop the Tesla charging network. It would be crazy to close off a portion of the CCS network. It would be best to allow all to charge from the chargers they install but with a price premium
Tesla needs to open their network as well.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivisn is not going to develop the Tesla charging network. It would be crazy to close off a portion of the CCS network. It would be best to allow all to charge from the chargers they install but with a price premium
Tesla needs to open their network as well.
They've said the RAN DCFC will only be accessible to Rivian vehicles (at least to start).

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
health care
They've said the RAN DCFC will only be accessible to Rivian vehicles (at least to start).
That is correct but. Money talks. Look for the RAN locations to open toallbut with a price premium

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is correct but. Money talks. Look for the RAN locations to open toallbut with a price premium
I'm not sure I agree on the value to them. You could also argue that having what's essentially a a private network to help reduce charger wait times over the next few years is more valuable. It very well could make more by selling the vehicles than by selling off the energy at a loss like EA.

We will see though. ?ā€ā™‚

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I'm not sure I agree on the value to them. You could also argue that having what's essentially a a private network to help reduce charger wait times over the next few years is more valuable. It very well could make more by selling the vehicles than by selling off the energy at a loss like EA.

We will see though. ?ā€ā™‚
I agree unfortunately. It's worth more as a perk to buying a Rivian, but I do hope they open it up to others eventually.

Sponsored

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
The battery charge infrastructure is still in its baby stage. there will be so much change and growth that NEEDS to happen in order for battery cars to gain traction and not be stuck as a niche player. Five, ten years from now, we will all look back upon these days as the wild wild west. Remember its not where you end up, its all about the journey. I'm planning on enjoying the journey

ohmman

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Model X LR, 2014 Model S P85
Brand tribalism certainly exists, and it's probably rooted in some deep seated evolutionary trait. I have a 2014 Model S, and had a 2016 Model X which I replaced with a 2020 Model X. I am a lead moderator at the Tesla Motors Club forum and have participated there for the last 7+ years with over 10k posts. One would jump to the conclusion that I'm a Tesla fanboy/tribe member.

But I find tribalism of all sorts kind of ridiculous. Given the choice between a Cybertruck or a Rivian or an F-150 Lightning.. the Rivian is just the most compelling vehicle to me. I have plenty of things I like about Tesla (the very top of that list is the Supercharging network), and plenty I don't like. If the Cybertruck was a more suitable vehicle for my needs, I'd likely have a reservation for that instead. But the R1T is just a better looking truck for my aesthetic preference, it seems to be much more utilitarian and well-considered, and it's the one that's closer to reality.

When we consider a brand/person/team we really like, if we cannot list at least three non-superficial things we dislike about it, especially without making excuses while doing it, we must consider that we might have crossed the line into religion.

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
It had been a while since I looked closely at the Tesla lineup, so today I went to one of their showrooms to check them out. The only models they had on hand were the 3 and the Y. In talking to the representative and viewing with my own eyes, it appeared to me that quality control and panel fitment is still not a priority for Elon. The representative said ā€œthese cars canā€™t be compared to Mercedes and the like for build quality.ā€ While I wouldnā€™t necessarily hold Tesla to that level, the cars really had a cheap feel to them TO ME. The wood grain on the dash looked like an afterthought. The body panel seams werenā€™t aligned, which I understand is common. Tesla sure has some great performance numbers though, with track times and range numbers second to none. But I just canā€™t get past the flaws. Does their S model have a significantly better build quality? If I wanted a track-only EV, a Tesla would be it. But with most of my drive time being on regular old city streets and highways, Iā€™m really looking forward to seeing the Rivian in person.
Iā€™m trying to find that unicorn of great build quality, 3sec 0-60, 11sec 1/4 mile, and 300+ mile range.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does their S model have a significantly better build quality?
Nope. I think people lumped Tesla in with luxury brands because the Model S/X cost luxury-brand money, lots of celebrities drove them, and Elon constantly said they were. It was a halo product and people didn't have up-close hands-on experience so they believed what they were told.
Sponsored