Sponsored

Tailgate not dropping? Anyone else?

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (ordered), F150, Q5, 911 Turbo(s)
Really love my new R1T, this is a pretty minor issue, but haven't seen other mention of it...

Pushing the tailgate release button inside or outside unlatches the tailgate, but it usually does not drop on its own, it needs a slight nudge. I'm sure the service center can deal with it along with some other very minor tweaks, but wondering if anyone else has seen this issue (and if there is perhaps a simple fix for it?)
Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
It only unlocks, there's no real mechanism to ensure that it lowers. It's how my ram is too.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
It only unlocks, there's no real mechanism to ensure that it lowers. It's how my ram is too.
From YouTube video reviews, I’ve seen that hitting the button is supposed to make it drop.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine also does not drop on own, but also how I want it to work. Also don't want the gear tunnel doors falling on own.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Mine doesn't drop on it's own.

Sponsored

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
From YouTube video reviews, I’ve seen that hitting the button is supposed to make it drop.
It will if you’re parked on an incline or if the wind blows the right way but there’s no mechanism to ensure that it drops so it’s best not to count on it.

OP
OP
pfbz

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sounds good, we'll go with "not designed to (consistently) drop on its own" , for now at least.

What threw me is that at delivery, when demo'ing the truck, it initially dropped consistently, then stopped, which led me to believe something was out of adjustment...

This is unlike the gear tunnels, which they are quite explicit in mentioning that they are NOT designed to drop on their own.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sounds good, we'll go with "not designed to (consistently) drop on its own" , for now at least.

What threw me is that at delivery, when demo'ing the truck, it initially dropped consistently, then stopped, which led me to believe something was out of adjustment...

This is unlike the gear tunnels, which they are quite explicit in mentioning that they are NOT designed to drop on their own.
Yeah, all driven by gravity. It can stick if dirty or out of alignment, but was designed to only drop with gravity.

OP
OP
pfbz

pfbz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, all driven by gravity. It can stick if dirty or out of alignment, but was designed to only drop with gravity.
I agree and understand, but opening the latch kicks it out enough so gravity can (sometimes) take over. And (other times) not. Obviously a slope would effect this, as would the airbags adjusting the 'rake' of the truck, but as others have mentioned, most of the videos show it dropping on its own.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5

Sponsored

schwartz83

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Manager
As long as I'm on level ground, the tailgate drops by itself just fine. I've only had it 23 1/2 hours though. 😅

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Only due to gravity. There is no mechanism to 'pop' it open...
2022-06-30.png
It only takes the slighted decline for it to not work. My driveway is an example of this.

Bravado21

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99' Subara Impreza 2.5RS, R1T LE
Occupation
Engineer
Really love my new R1T, this is a pretty minor issue, but haven't seen other mention of it...

Pushing the tailgate release button inside or outside unlatches the tailgate, but it usually does not drop on its own, it needs a slight nudge. I'm sure the service center can deal with it along with some other very minor tweaks, but wondering if anyone else has seen this issue (and if there is perhaps a simple fix for it?)
It’s supposed to drop automatically (unless it’s a decline, it might not do it). If it’s having issues on an incline or flat surface I would suggest logging a SR. I had mine addressed with an SR as it wasn’t dropping automatically on a consistent basis whether that incline or flat surface and it’s been fine ever since.
This is something that can be resolved via mobile service too if it’s applicable to your area.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It only takes the slighted decline for it to not work. My driveway is an example of this.
Yep. It doesn't even drop all the time in my garage. It always unlatches, but I have to push it open. I actually don't mind, though, so I don't accidentally open into the closed garage door.
Sponsored