Sponsored

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
The porpoising thing sounds like it is specific to the all terrain tires. I have the 21s and have felt non of this. My R1T is also on 21s and I have had zero handling issues other than the obnoxious turning radius on the T.
Porpoising is generally due to the road surface not being perfectly flat. It is not a tire issue. It depends primarily upon the spacing of road surface undulations and the wheelbase (distance between front and rear wheels) of the vehicle. If the undulations and the wheelbase compare in exactly the right (actually wrong) ratio the vehicle will porpoise. The vehicle suspension is also a factor as far as the magnitude of the porpoising. It can either dampen it or make it more severe.

A vehicle with axles solidly bolted to the frame with no springs or shocks would likely porpoise the least. I suppose tires could enter the equation from a standpoint of how high or low the inflation pressure … more or less flexible/bouncy.

So in a case where the R1S porpoises severly, the R1T would be expected to porpoise less due to it’s longer wheelbase. But in the exactly right (wrong) conditions the R1T could porpoise worse.
Sponsored

mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

Had a August 2022 build R1T GW/BW/21”, just traded it back to Rivian for a July 2023 build R1S LS/BW/20”.

Initial thoughts coming from my T.

The obvious differences and ones that have been mentioned elsewhere:
  1. Truck vs SUV (I’m already missing the gear tunnel and a bed that I can throw dirty stuff in)
  2. Missing 12V plugs in the frunk and under the dash (this one I was actually using)
  3. No wood trim in the back of the headrests
  4. “Rivian” sound system. Although I can’t comment on the audio quality, I have noticed that stuff I listed to in the T that I had to set the volume to 14 to hear, I’m setting to 6.
Less obvious differences (at least to me):
  1. Lower wind noise.
    • I had the triangle wind noise issue on the T that started to kick in at 30mph. On the S, I can make out some noise at >60mph if I move my ear close to the window.
    • My T also had wind noise from the roof at >50mph. The S has much less. I still plan on trying to seal some of the gaps at the windshield and at the panoramic sunroof
  2. Frunk Heat
    • It is extremely toasty. At only being 70-75 deg the past few days, all of the sides of the funk are really warm. I didn’t even have this on the T when it was 85+ with the AC having been on for a while. Side effect of having to cool more interior volume?
  3. Build quality is improved, but...
    1. No panel gap issues
    2. I did notice a dent in the roof trim (probably happened while being shipped) and one of the door handles isn’t mounted correctly (when closed the pivoting side hits the inside of the handle cut out by a good 3mm or so. Looks like the handle assembly wasn’t mounted correctly and/or the mounting holes for the handle assembly are off.
Items others have stated, but I haven’t noticed:
  1. Compressor Noise
    • Others have stated that they can hear the compressor in the S, I haven’t noticed it.
  2. Ride Quality
    • Some people have mentioned pourposing in the S relative to the T, but that isn’t something that I have noticed. There is a difference in ride quality, but this is likely due to 20s vs 21s
Other things:
  1. Proximity unlocking is much, much better. Small sample size, but the effect is substantial enough for me to think to myself, this is SO much better.
  2. At least on mine, I still have a 12VDC Battery upfront and not the rumored capacitor. There was talk that the capacitor would be introduced in July.

mikeB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Chevy Colorado
Clubs

Had a August 2022 build R1T GW/BW/21”, just traded it back to Rivian for a July 2023 build R1S LS/BW/20”.

Initial thoughts coming from my T.

The obvious differences and ones that have been mentioned elsewhere:
  1. Truck vs SUV (I’m already missing the gear tunnel and a bed that I can throw dirty stuff in)
  2. Missing 12V plugs in the frunk and under the dash (this one I was actually using)
  3. No wood trim in the back of the headrests
  4. “Rivian” sound system. Although I can’t comment on the audio quality, I have noticed that stuff I listed to in the T that I had to set the volume to 14 to hear, I’m setting to 6.
Less obvious differences (at least to me):
  1. Lower wind noise.
    • I had the triangle wind noise issue on the T that started to kick in at 30mph. On the S, I can make out some noise at >60mph if I move my ear close to the window.
    • My T also had wind noise from the roof at >50mph. The S has much less. I still plan on trying to seal some of the gaps at the windshield and at the panoramic sunroof
  2. Frunk Heat
    • It is extremely toasty. At only being 70-75 deg the past few days, all of the sides of the funk are really warm. I didn’t even have this on the T when it was 85+ with the AC having been on for a while. Side effect of having to cool more interior volume?
  3. Build quality is improved, but...
    1. No panel gap issues
    2. I did notice a dent in the roof trim (probably happened while being shipped) and one of the door handles isn’t mounted correctly (when closed the pivoting side hits the inside of the handle cut out by a good 3mm or so. Looks like the handle assembly wasn’t mounted correctly and/or the mounting holes for the handle assembly are off.
Items others have stated, but I haven’t noticed:
  1. Compressor Noise
    • Others have stated that they can hear the compressor in the S, I haven’t noticed it.
  2. Ride Quality
    • Some people have mentioned pourposing in the S relative to the T, but that isn’t something that I have noticed. There is a difference in ride quality, but this is likely due to 20s vs 21s
Other things:
  1. Proximity unlocking is much, much better. Small sample size, but the effect is substantial enough for me to think to myself, this is SO much better.
  2. At least on mine, I still have a 12VDC Battery upfront and not the rumored capacitor. There was talk that the capacitor would be introduced in July.
I feel your pain. Started a club today on this forum for those of us who traded up. Pretty sure that count is low. I'm looking into 20" street to help mitigate the porpoising. Rumor has it Rivian will be offering. Would like to hear more about your experience. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ve-gone-from-a-r1t-to-an-r1s-or-have-both.67/
Sponsored