Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Had a August 2022 build R1T GW/BW/21”, just traded it back to Rivian for a July 2023 build R1S LS/BW/20”.

Initial thoughts coming from my T.

The obvious differences and ones that have been mentioned elsewhere:
  1. Truck vs SUV (I’m already missing the gear tunnel and a bed that I can throw dirty stuff in)
  2. Missing 12V plugs in the frunk and under the dash (this one I was actually using)
  3. No wood trim in the back of the headrests
  4. “Rivian” sound system. Although I can’t comment on the audio quality, I have noticed that stuff I listed to in the T that I had to set the volume to 14 to hear, I’m setting to 6.
Less obvious differences (at least to me):
  1. Lower wind noise.
    • I had the triangle wind noise issue on the T that started to kick in at 30mph. On the S, I can make out some noise at >60mph if I move my ear close to the window.
    • My T also had wind noise from the roof at >50mph. The S has much less. I still plan on trying to seal some of the gaps at the windshield and at the panoramic sunroof
  2. Frunk Heat
    • It is extremely toasty. At only being 70-75 deg the past few days, all of the sides of the funk are really warm. I didn’t even have this on the T when it was 85+ with the AC having been on for a while. Side effect of having to cool more interior volume?
  3. Build quality is improved, but...
    1. No panel gap issues
    2. I did notice a dent in the roof trim (probably happened while being shipped) and one of the door handles isn’t mounted correctly (when closed the pivoting side hits the inside of the handle cut out by a good 3mm or so. Looks like the handle assembly wasn’t mounted correctly and/or the mounting holes for the handle assembly are off.
Items others have stated, but I haven’t noticed:
  1. Compressor Noise
    • Others have stated that they can hear the compressor in the S, I haven’t noticed it.
  2. Ride Quality
    • Some people have mentioned pourposing in the S relative to the T, but that isn’t something that I have noticed. There is a difference in ride quality, but this is likely due to 20s vs 21s
Other things:
  1. Proximity unlocking is much, much better. Small sample size, but the effect is substantial enough for me to think to myself, this is SO much better.
  2. At least on mine, I still have a 12VDC Battery upfront and not the rumored capacitor. There was talk that the capacitor would be introduced in July.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

1. Frunk Heat
    • It is extremely toasty. At only being 70-75 deg the past few days, all of the sides of the funk are really warm. I didn’t even have this on the T when it was 85+ with the AC having been on for a while. Side effect of having to cool more interior volume?
I thought I read somewhere the R1S has two AC compressors because of the larger interior volume, which may be a reason for more heat in the frunk. Someone else may say otherwise, and they may be right.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Had a August 2022 build R1T GW/BW/21”, just traded it back to Rivian for a July 2023 build R1S LS/BW/20”.

1. Truck vs SUV (I’m already missing the gear tunnel and a bed that I can throw dirty stuff in)
  2. Missing 12V plugs in the frunk and under the dash (this one I was actually using)
  4. “Rivian” sound system. Although I can’t comment on the audio quality, I have noticed that stuff I listed to in the T that I had to set the volume to 14 to hear, I’m setting to 6.
  1. Lower wind noise.
    • I had the triangle wind noise issue on the T that started to kick in at 30mph. On the S, I can make out some noise at >60mph if I move my ear close to the window.
    • My T also had wind noise from the roof at >50mph. The S has much less. I still plan on trying to seal some of the gaps at the windshield and at the panoramic sunroof
  2. Frunk Heat
    1. No panel gap issues
    2. I did notice a dent in the roof trim (probably happened while being shipped) and one of the door handles isn’t mounted correctly (when closed the pivoting side hits the inside of the handle cut out by a good 3mm or so. Looks like the handle assembly wasn’t mounted correctly and/or the mounting holes for the handle assembly are off.
  1. Compressor Noise
    • Others have stated that they can hear the compressor in the S, I haven’t noticed it.
  2. Ride Quality
    • Some people have mentioned pourposing in the S relative to the T, but that isn’t something that I have noticed. There is a difference in ride quality, but this is likely due to 20s vs 21s
Other things:
  1. Proximity unlocking is much, much better. Small sample size, but the effect is substantial enough for me to think to myself, this is SO much better.
  2. At least on mine, I still have a 12VDC Battery upfront and not the rumored capacitor. There was talk that the capacitor would be introduced in July.
Congrats! Try driving the S on 5 southbound between 90 and west seattle exit. The porpoising is bad compared to the T. Was surprised how much tighter turning radius the S has

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Congrats! Try driving the S on 5 southbound between 90 and west seattle exit. The porpoising is bad compared to the T. Was surprised how much tighter turning radius the S has
Agree that my 2 test drives with the T were nothing like my now S which definitely is a porpoise. I test drove 20's and 21's in the T and bought the S with 20's. Everyone is hoping that it can be fixed with software but I think it's a short wheelbase issue.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

have the T and preorder for S. feedback here makes me pause. im also in no rush and may wait until end of next year when Rivian releases R1 gen 2.

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40

1. Lower wind noise.
  2. Frunk Heat
    1. No panel gap issues
  1. Compressor Noise
  2. Ride Quality
Other things:
I just traded my T for an S 2 weeks ago....

Gear tunnel = yep missing it
12v plugs = didn't use them in the T so don't miss them on the S
No wood trim on the back seats = suck for the passenger, but I am the driver, so no concerns. :)
Rivian sounds system = I prefer the Rivian sound system to the Meridian system in the T
Wind noise = S is far better than the T. My T had a roof panel on the passenger side that made a lot of noise. S is deadly silent in comparison.
Front truck heat = I haven't opened the front truck hood yet. Never used it much on the T.
Build quality = light years better. I picked up my T 13 months ago and the S is soooo much better.
Compressor noise = much quieter on the S compared to the T
Ride quality = the porpoising on my T was far worse than the S. I drive in All Purpose mode most of the time. The S feels more sporty and the turning radius shines compared the T. I had 21's and 20's on the T and 20's on the S. 21's felt great and handled awesome, but were a little harsh when it came to ride quality. 20's were a lot smoother, softer, but did not handle as well on the corners. Same feeling between the T and the S with regards to 20's.
Proximity lock = no better or worse than the T for me.

Other things:

Cabin heat = hot days in the S sucked until I added ceramic tint (everything but the windshield). Had the same issue with the T.
Panel gaps = S wins hands down. T was assembled by a drunk person.
Fit and finish = S wins again. Everything inside has been refined over the last year. Quality of the materials is far better.
Software = Again the S wins. My T originally came with 21's. I switched to 20's and had Rivian reprogram the truck for 20's. The T would say 347 miles of range on Conserve at 100% SOC. It would only deliver about 275 miles of range. So far the S is much more accurate. Shows 303 range in Conserve at 100% SOC and delivers very close to that range.

I was a bit concerned with swapping out the T for the S because I REALLY enjoyed driving the T for the last year. Two weeks into ownership of the S and I am very glad I traded up to the S.

flush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE El Cap
Occupation
tech
been driving a couple hundred miles on the R1S, city/hwy on all-purpose, soft suspension, low ride height. have not experienced this porpoise effect. When or how does it kick in?

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I just traded my T for an S 2 weeks ago....

Gear tunnel = yep missing it
12v plugs = didn't use them in the T so don't miss them on the S
No wood trim on the back seats = suck for the passenger, but I am the driver, so no concerns. :)
Rivian sounds system = I prefer the Rivian sound system to the Meridian system in the T
Wind noise = S is far better than the T. My T had a roof panel on the passenger side that made a lot of noise. S is deadly silent in comparison.
Front truck heat = I haven't opened the front truck hood yet. Never used it much on the T.
Build quality = light years better. I picked up my T 13 months ago and the S is soooo much better.
Compressor noise = much quieter on the S compared to the T
Ride quality = the porpoising on my T was far worse than the S. I drive in All Purpose mode most of the time. The S feels more sporty and the turning radius shines compared the T. I had 21's and 20's on the T and 20's on the S. 21's felt great and handled awesome, but were a little harsh when it came to ride quality. 20's were a lot smoother, softer, but did not handle as well on the corners. Same feeling between the T and the S with regards to 20's.
Proximity lock = no better or worse than the T for me.

Other things:

Cabin heat = hot days in the S sucked until I added ceramic tint (everything but the windshield). Had the same issue with the T.
Panel gaps = S wins hands down. T was assembled by a drunk person.
Fit and finish = S wins again. Everything inside has been refined over the last year. Quality of the materials is far better.
Software = Again the S wins. My T originally came with 21's. I switched to 20's and had Rivian reprogram the truck for 20's. The T would say 347 miles of range on Conserve at 100% SOC. It would only deliver about 275 miles of range. So far the S is much more accurate. Shows 303 range in Conserve at 100% SOC and delivers very close to that range.

I was a bit concerned with swapping out the T for the S because I REALLY enjoyed driving the T for the last year. Two weeks into ownership of the S and I am very glad I traded up to the S.
Surprised you say the quality of materials is much better. I thought the interior, other than for the wood at the back for the seats, has not changed from 2022 to 2023 and is identical for S and T.

Sheldor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Did you guys trade your T in directly to Rivian? Did they offer you a fair amount for them?

OP
OP

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did you guys trade your T in directly to Rivian? Did they offer you a fair amount for them?
More than fair, especially compared to other places like carvana, CarMax, etc. Take into account the trade in sales tax credit it WA, the offer had a value of 80k. Better than what I could have done on Cars and Bids or Bring a Trailer.

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Surprised you say the quality of materials is much better. I thought the interior, other than for the wood at the back for the seats, has not changed from 2022 to 2023 and is identical for S and T.
Everything is identical, but Rivian has obviously been working with their suppliers to refine the quality of the parts. The wood dash on my S is visibly better than the wood in the T. Even my wife said "Wow, this is so much nicer" when she got in the S for the first time.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Everything is identical, but Rivian has obviously been working with their suppliers to refine the quality of the parts. The wood dash on my S is visibly better than the wood in the T. Even my wife said "Wow, this is so much nicer" when she got in the S for the first time.
That is good to know. I was already struck by how nice the interior was a year ago.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
been driving a couple hundred miles on the R1S, city/hwy on all-purpose, soft suspension, low ride height. have not experienced this porpoise effect. When or how does it kick in?
Try eastbound 90 between Mercer Island east channel bridge and 405. Same porpoising issue there as the I5 section I mentioned in earlier post.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Ride Quality
It's noticeable if you are riding in the back seat. It's not that noticeable in the driver seat.

danielthiel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Considering trading in my R1S LE (22" Dark, LE Green, Blk Mtn, 1750 mi) for a R1T - what do you think Rivian would give me for trade in?
Sponsored