Sponsored

Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke

shammyrocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was excited to see the UPS guy on my ring camera carrying a large Rivian-branded box that I wasn't expecting. I confirmed my address a couple weeks ago but didn't see any indication my tonneau had shipped. Upon opening the box and the case the slats came in, I noticed the sides that go into the rails were plastic and multiple pieces were already broken. I slid them in anyway to test out the cover and the functionality and the plastic on the other slats cracked, too -- without much force at all. There's no way the pieces that slide into the rails will last long for anyone.

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 20230808_134735

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 20230808_134427

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 20230808_134316

Rivian R1T R1S Received my manual tonneau cover and the slats already broke 20230808_134314
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Did the box appear to be damaged or dropped?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I was excited to see the UPS guy on my ring camera carrying a large Rivian-branded box that I wasn't expecting. I confirmed my address a couple weeks ago but didn't see any indication my tonneau had shipped. Upon opening the box and the case the slats came in, I noticed the sides that go into the rails were plastic and multiple pieces were already broken. I slid them in anyway to test out the cover and the functionality and the plastic on the other slats cracked, too -- without much force at all. There's no way the pieces that slide into the rails will last long for anyone.

20230808_134735.png

20230808_134427.png

20230808_134316.png

20230808_134314.png
UPS -> What the package handlers say when they drop your package

OP
OP

shammyrocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Box looked fine and they were inside the carrying bag. I think was more shocked at how easily the plastic broken when just sliding them in and out in general but maybe they were weakened.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The way they are broken on the corner does make me think that package was dropped even if the box looked ok. That sucks.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
You might be totally right. I will add though that the plastic still feels awfully cheap and thin in general.
Agreed. Those pieces don't really inspire confidence.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You might be totally right. I will add though that the plastic still feels awfully cheap and thin in general.
Selling replacements should make a tonneau cash for Rivian.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If it came via UPS that's all you need to say, those guys are animals.. roughest in the business by a wide margin! It's 100% on UPS, but of course there's no way to prove that even if you show them a bashed in box in which case they will claim "that's how we received it, sorry..". It's almost unbelievable to say, but even USPS is better than UPS!

OP
OP

shammyrocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If it came via UPS that's all you need to say, those guys are animals.. roughest in the business by a wide margin! It's 100% on UPS, but of course there's no way to prove that even if you show them a bashed in box in which case they will claim "that's how we received it, sorry..". It's almost unbelievable to say, but even USPS is better than UPS!
I hear what you guys are saying about UPS. They aren't as bad as Fedex appears to be (around here anyway). But I truly believe these wouldn't hold up very long anyway with the brittle plastic on the sides. The slats themselves feel great but the plastic that goes into the rails feels like a bad place to skimp.

Sponsored

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Maybe some can touch base with @Bf3 and see if he can give us a delrin (or something similar) upgrade to that OEM plastic

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Wow over a year in design phase and you got some dog shit plastic on those things. Isn't that tonneau a pretty penny as well? Some guy with a Home Depot run and a hundred bucks made a more durable tonneau than that on here. I'm so glad my power one still works but I'm worried that if and when it breaks I'm gonna be stuck with a replacement that's worse than what I have if this is anything to go by.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Wow over a year in design phase and you got some dog shit plastic on those things. Isn't that tonneau a pretty penny as well? Some guy with a Home Depot run and a hundred bucks made a more durable tonneau than that on here. I'm so glad my power one still works but I'm worried that if and when it breaks I'm gonna be stuck with a replacement that's worse than what I have if this is anything to go by.
The early price was $800, but now I think it's double that. I sure as hell wouldn't pay $1500 for that.

fr4c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y, Model 3
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Part of me wants it because I'm a "OEM" kind of guy, but jeez you think for the cost the rails would be more solid. Heck I might drop the panels on the corners when taking it off but I don't think it'll stand up to long term use.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I'm going to go on a limb here and say Rivians design was bound to a budget, inclusive of profit, set by the pre-march pricepoint. That amounts to a $1480cdn difference compared to todays config.

If I'm honest, it makes the @Bf3 solution look first party. I had a couple hesitations however, first was the remaining short piece at the cab end of the stack, and the potential for a better Rivian OEM solution.

I learned a valuable lesson. Never doubt the forum and it's members.

https://interrobang.store/products/tonneau-tableau-deposit
Sponsored