Sponsored

Subwoofer replacement, anyone?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
From the original post:
The R1T has a great sound system, but the subwoofer is extremely lacking on the low end.
Be aware that this is an extremely subjective *opinion*. While some may like an excessive boost in the bass, and associate that with a "good" system (and even associate that with "correct" sounding music), that is not true of everyone or perhaps even *most* people.

I personally refer a very flat response, like you get from studio monitors for instance. That allows me to hear the music as recorded and as intended by the artist. I use the EQ to compensate for the room and for my preferred listening volume (human sound frequency perception varies with volume and with frequency).

In my opinion, Rivian's sound system provides very accurate reproduction of recordings. The biggest problem is the lack of support for high-resolution uncompressed audio unaffected by over-the-air transmission (4G or Bluetooth), for example from a hardwired USB stick.

But again, this is completely subjective. Perhaps Rivian's system doesn't allow you to boost the bass enough for your tastes, but in my experience it is very accurate in reproducing the sound as recorded.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
From the original post:

Be aware that this is an extremely subjective *opinion*. While some may like an excessive boost in the bass, and associate that with a "good" system (and even associate that with "correct" sounding music), that is not true of everyone or perhaps even *most* people.

I personally refer a very flat response, like you get from studio monitors for instance. That allows me to hear the music as recorded and as intended by the artist. I use the EQ to compensate for the room and for my preferred listening volume (human sound frequency perception varies with volume and with frequency).

In my opinion, Rivian's sound system provides very accurate reproduction of recordings. The biggest problem is the lack of support for high-resolution uncompressed audio unaffected by over-the-air transmission (4G or Bluetooth), for example from a hardwired USB stick.

But again, this is completely subjective. Perhaps Rivian's system doesn't allow you to boost the bass enough for your tastes, but in my experience it is very accurate in reproducing the sound as recorded.
Completly agree now having Tidal HiFi Plus, that very accurate, however for me there are times listening to Rock I want to bring the heat and the sub just can’t do that. Look forward to options that will come.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
Yeah I don’t think a 6”x9” can be considered a real subwoofer.

OP
OP

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
From the original post:

I understand what you’re trying to say but you contradict yourself here. This is not subjective - the Rivian audio system is anything but flat. If it was flat, 35hz would be comparable to 75hz but 35hz is nonexistent. I also prefer a flat response which is why I want a different subwoofer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

I don't have my vehicle yet so I can't check this out myself. It looks like there are a couple unknowns. Power and signal. I thought someone had posted technical drawings that laid out both fuse panels in detail. This thread says page two but I'm not seeing it anymore. Did I just dream that? Anyone have a copy of those? https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/interior-passenger-side-fuse-box.8397/

Shown on the drawings were some unused fuse slots and at least one of them was the larger high current slots. Someone needs to see if those slots are wired. Might be able to use them for amps, if so. Like they were intended for some accessory that is not used in the vehicle.

As for signal, there were Rivian job postings for people with A2B experience, so the assumption is that Rivian is using that technology. I have not read where this has been confirmed yet. If so then we are stuck with using speaker level for the source. Unless by some weird chance an existing adapter like this one works, but very doubtful. https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT873/zen-a2b.html

Just FYI, this guy has a good site that shows what all he had to do to upgrade his Tesla audio that also uses A2B.

https://www.travisllado.com/2019/05/tesla-model-3-stereo-part-9-summary-and.html

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I understand what you’re trying to say but you contradict yourself here. This is not subjective - the Rivian audio system is anything but flat. If it was flat, 35hz would be comparable to 75hz but 35hz is nonexistent. I also prefer a flat response which is why I want a different subwoofer.
Can you share the RTA, audio test signals, measurement of spl, impedance, frequency, impulse responses, distortion, phase delay, etc. or whatever was used for the results?

It would greatly help the community if that could be shared.

OP
OP

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Can you share the RTA, audio test signals, measurement of spl, impedance, frequency, impulse responses, distortion, phase delay, etc. or whatever was used for the results?

It would greatly help the community if that could be shared.
In this case it’s not necessary. Play a test tone between 25-35 hz, then play one at 75hz. Anybody with ears can tell you they’re not the same volume.

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
Not mine, and I don't have any details, but... Rivian Subwoofer Enclosure. This setup looks a lot like the older Ram trucks. For what it's worth I put Focal highs and mids with a JL 10" sub in my 76' bronco, and it sounds amazing for my taste.

Rivian R1T R1S Subwoofer replacement, anyone? Rivian Sub enclosur

Last edited:

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
In this case it’s not necessary. Play a test tone between 25-35 hz, then play one at 75hz. Anybody with ears can tell you they’re not the same volume.
Got it.

Play a tone near infrasonic and a tone 1.5+ octaves above it. With any ears, they will tell the tones are not the same volume in the stock Rivian.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
No, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Otherwise you would recognize there's no contradiction.

With a flat response, a test tone of 35Hz recorded at 40 dB SPL will play from the speaker at the same SPL as a tone of 75Hz recorded at 40 dB SPL. A sound system with a flat response will not color the sound by altering the signal to enhance or reduce any frequency ranges.

BUT because of human audio perception, that 75Hz tone at 40dB will SOUND about 4 times louder than that 35Hz tone at 40dB coming out of the speakers. This is with a flat response. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour if you're unfamiliar with the concept.

I don't want my audio system to be boosting or cutting frequency ranges unless I tell it to - I want the system to recreate the sound as recorded. And then if I need to compensate for the room or the overall volume level (because human sensitivity to audio frequencies varies greatly with volume), I can use the EQ. Or if you want to color the sound to your own preferences, then you can do that.

I have found that the Rivian audio system reproduces sounds accurately. While I understand that your *preference* is for a greatly boosted bass response, what you want is to *modify* the sound to suit your preference. Nothing wrong with that, but that's your preference - you're making the speaker output *less* accurate by doing this, so calling Rivians system "extremely lacking on the low end" because it won't allow you to distort the output as much as you would like is a pretty strange way of seeing things.

Last edited:
OP
OP

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
No, I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Otherwise you would recognize there's no contradiction.

With a flat response, a test tone of 35Hz recorded at 40 dB SPL will play from the speaker at the same SPL as a tone of 75Hz recorded at 40 dB SPL. A sound system with a flat response will not color the sound by altering the signal to enhance or reduce any frequency ranges.

BUT because of human audio perception, that 75Hz tone at 40dB will SOUND about 4 times louder than that 35Hz tone at 40dB coming out of the speakers. This is with a flat response. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour if you're unfamiliar with the concept.

I don't want my audio system to be boosting or cutting frequency ranges unless I tell it to - I want the system to recreate the sound as recorded. And then if I need to compensate for the room or the overall volume level (because human sensitivity to audio frequencies varies greatly with volume), I can use the EQ. Or if you want to color the sound to your own preferences, then you can do that.

I have found that the Rivian audio system reproduces sounds accurately. While I understand that your *preference* is for a greatly boosted bass response, what you want is to *modify* the sound to suit your preference. Nothing wrong with that, but that's your preference - you're making the speaker output *less* accurate by doing this, so calling Rivians system "extremely lacking on the low end" because it won't allow you to distort the output as much as you would like is a pretty strange way of seeing things.
Got it, that’s clear and thanks for explaining. I’m definitely not looking to significantly boost anything; what really bothers me is that the factory subwoofer just can’t reproduce a low enough frequency that exists in some songs. I’ve had some stupid subwoofer builds in the past that went down to like 17hz (definitely boosted with distortion at that point, lol) so maybe I’m expecting too much out of a factory system.

Jcan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport
Occupation
MD
Got it, that’s clear and thanks for explaining. I’m definitely not looking to significantly boost anything; what really bothers me is that the factory subwoofer just can’t reproduce a low enough frequency that exists in some songs. I’ve had some stupid subwoofer builds in the past that went down to like 17hz (definitely boosted with distortion at that point, lol) so maybe I’m expecting too much out of a factory system.
I agree with both points. The Rivian system is excellent for those who just want clear and balanced system. Coming from both a Range Rover Sport and F150 Raptor I can appreciate the Rivian… It’s way better than the Raptor. I think most will be satisfied with stock Meridian setup. However, I can also see some wanting greater extension in the lower frequencies.

Reactions: VSG

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

This popped up last month:

Seems pretty straight forward once you source 12V.
I need this in my life...
Sponsored