Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

I had an unfortunate "adventure" after charging my R1S.

I was snowboarding with my family in Whistler over the MLK weekend. I arrived Friday with 24% left after traveling from Seattle with one fast charge adding 39kWh on the way. The extreme cold hit my range (separate thread in Seattle Area Club). My strategy to be charged up for the return trip on Monday was to overnight charge in Day Lot 4, which was 5 minutes walk from condo rental) on Saturday and Sunday nights. I plugged into a Chargepoint level 2 which gives about 6 kW ($1/hr with $5 cap).

As a no-overnight lot I had to take the S back to the condo parking at 3am to avoid a possible ticket. After I stopped the charging the charge door would not close when activating outside. I got in the car and tried to close the door from the center screen. It did not close still and the icon greyed out. I then noticed that there were messages on the driver's screen:
- On getting in the car it said "Charging unavailable until serviced"
- It switched to "Charger plug not fully connected - Unplug and try again" after about 5 seconds
I did a software reset and a vehicle reset. Afterwards the same messages popped up.
I attempted to drive the car, but it would not shift from Park, so I began a chat with Rivian Assistance.

They told me to do the resets and a few other things including a sleep cycle, but no success. Finally they decided that it needed a tow. Interestingly they told me that because it was a U.S. registered vehicle it would have to be towed to the Bellevue, WA service center. I questioned this decision, but at first they would not agree that the Vancouver SC should be an option. I also learned that they would not commit to declaring the issue as a warranty claim before inspection at SC and that I would be on the hook for the tow if not covered by warranty. I would later learn that a tow from Whistler to Bellevue costs $2,000.

Back at the condo I received an email with info that the tow driver would need for customs purposes. Being away from home and a Sunday it was going to be difficult to print the form and fill it in (blue ink required!) with lots of info that I did not have access to and getting photocopies of various documents. One example was the name of the person that would be receiving the vehicle in the U.S. and Rivian Support could not give me a name. They also told me this was the first time that they had asked an owner to do this customs declaration and decided it was too difficult to achieve and reversed their decision on the SC to send the S to. Apparently it was very difficult for them to find a tow company to assist on a Sunday in a timely fashion. The tow truck finally arrived at nearly 9pm, about 17 hours after my first contact with Rivian Roadside assistance.

Rivian offered an Enterprise rental car but a friend of mine was returning to Seattle on that Sunday so went with him and returned the next day with my Outback to bring my family home (after a day on the slopes ;-) ).

The S arrived at Vancouver SC on Monday morning. By the afternoon the service advisor informed me that they had diagnosed a failure of the wiring harness connected to the charging port. Replacement of this harness is difficult and needs the powertrain to be dropped down. He told me 3-4 days to repair. The repair was completed on Friday and yesterday I drove up to Vancouver with my wife to pick it up. The SC is not open on Saturdays, but they parked it outside plugged into a level 2 charger with the keycard in the armrest console. I used my phone to access. It was declared a warranty repair and no costs were charged.

Has anyone else had a failure of this wiring harness?

If the car has sufficient charge why is the owner not able to move the car with this fault? If it happened in my driveway at home the Rivian would have been blocking my other cars.

Rivian R1T R1S Stranded After Charging - Towed and Repaired IMG_2804

Rivian R1T R1S Stranded After Charging - Towed and Repaired IMG_2805
Sponsored

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Canā€™t offer you an answer to your question, but I would like to applaud you for what seems like a good deal of patience and understanding in that situation. These vehicles are crazy complex and they can be finicky at times. Your issue popped up in the middle of the night and a long way from home. Customer service had to make some less than ideal decisions, but you rolled with it. And you turned down a rental car you were entitled to which saved the company a little money. That said, Iā€™m glad itā€™s fixed and it was all covered under the warranty haha. šŸ˜…
All in all I think you handled that situation very well and Iā€™m glad there are patient owners like you here who know life is what you make it!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That really was an adventure. Seems crazy their first thought was to tow it to the US instead of just taking it to the nearest service center :facepalm:

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

That really was an adventure. Seems crazy their first thought was to tow it to the US instead of just taking it to the nearest service center :facepalm:
That part makes no logistical sense. The service centre in Richmond is fully equipped, and the vehicles are literally identical between the borders, save for some potential sticker changes. I'm glad they reversed that decision.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

My charge door did not close one time. I forced it closed (took a bit of strength). It then worked fine. I think I had ice build up. Did you try forcing it? I never had error messages so I think we experienced different things. Just adding this to offer examples to others.

Rivian is replacing my door motor next week.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian had to replace my DC charging harness in 2022. Vehicle didn't tell me I couldn't charge, just that DC charging performance would be reduced.

For what it's worth, I've had no problems just driving with the charging door fully open after an ice storm. The port doesn't get as much detrius inside from being open as I would expect, it still seems fairly well shielded from road grime.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

My charge door did not close one time. I forced it closed (took a bit of strength). It then worked fine. I think I had ice build up. Did you try forcing it? I never had error messages so I think we experienced different things. Just adding this to offer examples to others.

Rivian is replacing my door motor next week.
The support employee told me to manually close the charge door as part of the troubleshooting to no effect. I found it impossible to manually open afterwards.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

The support employee told me to manually close the charge door as part of the troubleshooting to no effect. I found it impossible to manually open afterwards.
I used plastic bicycle tire levers to force mine open. I keep them on hand for this reason.
Rivian R1T R1S Stranded After Charging - Towed and Repaired IMG_3146

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I found it is bothering that a faulty charging wiring harness would cause the vehicle inoperable and have to be towed for service. Seems to be some overengineering here.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

I found it is bothering that a faulty charging wiring harness would cause the vehicle inoperable and have to be towed for service. Seems to be some overengineering here.
Yes strange.
If it has a charge you should have the option to move it to somewhere that doesnā€™t cause an inconvenience or even drive it to a service center.

Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
So I hit the bad wire harness issue pretty early on in my ownership and it actually bricked the truck and left me stranded. Rivian had no idea what was going on because when they towed it to the service center it AC charged just fine.

I went back and forth with them for a while and was told they were going to replace everything from the drive units to the battery. I told them to slow down and I wanted to speak directly to the main service tech and walked him through what happened.

Turned out the DC pin on the EA charging station I was at was just a little bent and when I plugged in it pushed the DC part out of the back of the harness.

They never experienced this before and because of it made the software change to actually let the truck drive and AC charge instead of just leaving it dead.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

So I hit the bad wire harness issue pretty early on in my ownership and it actually bricked the truck and left me stranded. Rivian had no idea what was going on because when they towed it to the service center it AC charged just fine.

I went back and forth with them for a while and was told they were going to replace everything from the drive units to the battery. I told them to slow down and I wanted to speak directly to the main service tech and walked him through what happened.

Turned out the DC pin on the EA charging station I was at was just a little bent and when I plugged in it pushed the DC part out of the back of the harness.

They never experienced this before and because of it made the software change to actually let the truck drive and AC charge instead of just leaving it dead.
This was on level 2 station. I could plug back in and get it charging again. Seems the software still doesnā€™t allow driving after fault.
No damage visible, but no signal would pass through one of the wires. I assume this was a communication wire.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
This was on level 2 station. I could plug back in and get it charging again. Seems the software still doesnā€™t allow driving after fault.
No damage visible, but no signal would pass through one of the wires. I assume this was a communication wire.
Hmm well that sucks. Maybe they only fixed it on a DC pin, but honestly, not being able to charge shouldn't strand you anywhere.

Make sure you keep hammering the service people about asking for a software change.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Rivian bricks a vehicle for more reasons than any other EV I've ever had (2012 Plug-in-Prius, 2014 Volt, 2017 Bolt, 2020 Model Y, 2021 Model 3, 2017 BMW i3).

Rear window stuck.. shut her down šŸ˜ž

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Rivian bricks a vehicle for more reasons than any other EV I've ever had (2012 Plug-in-Prius, 2014 Volt, 2017 Bolt, 2020 Model Y, 2021 Model 3, 2017 BMW i3).

Rear window stuck.. shut her down šŸ˜ž
Yeah, for safety reasons if the car can move, even crawl, it should be allowed to. It might be stopped in a very dangerous spot. The decision should be up to the owner of the car. The one whose money and safety is on the line.
Sponsored