Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
For the few posters saying this isn't much of an update - Go take some fucking happy pills. You people are impossible to please. This is a great update and has a ton of really good improvements in it. Quit letting people piss in your morning Cheerios.
Are you quoting my own post back at me because you think I was complaining? I most certainly was not...
Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Or some of us had Teslas for years, did all the work in improving them and giving feedback and now know for a fact that Rivian is intentionally holding back a landslide worth of OTA improvements.
Got receipts?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Are you quoting my own post back at me because you think I was complaining? I most certainly was not...
I'm in it for the reaction score. Fake internet points brightens my day.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
You work for Rivian or have insider information that this is occurring? Or do you have a different definition of "fact" than I do?
I know what my Model X does now that it didn't do 5 years ago. So the same for the R1T sitting next to it. So yes, it's a fact Rivian are holding back certain features.

Rivian have shown they want to drip-feed small OTAs once a month. And I get it for the most part - they'll resist 'being Tesla' for as long as they can.

Compared to Tesla, the driver and centre screens on the Rivians are terrible. The UI's need to be completely overhauled. And they will be, eventually. The same was true for Tesla. What you see today is a distant, evolved descendant of what we used years ago.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
Has anybody gotten this update pushed to them yet? I’ve got a long road trip tokoerow. Sure would be nice to get it today. Though I bet it will be next week.

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I know what my Model X does now that it didn't do 5 years ago. So the same for the R1T sitting next to it. So yes, it's a fact Rivian are holding back certain features.

Rivian have shown they want to drip-feed small OTAs once a month. And I get it for the most part - they'll resist 'being Tesla' for as long as they can.

Compared to Tesla, the driver and centre screens on the Rivians are terrible. The UI's need to be completely overhauled. And they will be, eventually. The same was true for Tesla. What you see today is distant, evolved descendant of what we used years ago.
This post is absolute nonsense. 5 years of updates in your Tesla has absolutely NOTHING to do with a Rivian or how Rivian is managing updates. You are 110% speaking out of your ass and have absolutely no actual knowledge of what is going on within Rivian wrt OTAs.

As someone who has been working in the software industries for most of his professional life - this is EXACTLY how every software package is updated. Incremental updates rolled out periodically based on test and development cycles.

Also, your last statement is bananas. The UI in the Rivians is great. It's definitely not going to be wholesale redesigned anytime soon, nor is there any reason for it to be.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I wholeheartedly agree with you about the reverse thing. It's scary as hell if you've hit it a bit harder than you thought.
It could be super dangerous. I experienced this once In a parking lot and it scared the shit out of me.

The problem is if you push the pedal too hard, the truck accelerates backwards faster than you’re expecting.

But guess what, you don’t (Newton’s first law is a b*tch). So your own inertia presses HARDER on the pedal and is goes even FASTER!

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
This post is absolute nonsense. 5 years of updates in your Tesla has absolutely NOTHING to do with a Rivian or how Rivian is managing updates. You are 110% speaking out of your ass and have absolutely no actual knowledge of what is going on within Rivian wrt OTAs.

As someone who has been working in the software industries for most of his professional life - this is EXACTLY how every software package is updated. Incremental updates rolled out periodically based on test and development cycles.

Also, your last statement is bananas. The UI in the Rivians is great. It's definitely not going to be wholesale redesigned anytime soon, nor is there any reason for it to be.
OK, Rivian is not intentionally holding back the RGB functionality of the interior accent lights and that feature is in a test and development cycle. :whew:

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, Rivian is not intentionally holding back the RGB functionality of the interior accent lights and that feature is in a test and development cycle. :whew:
I mean.. lol? Maybe it is. Maybe they made one minor tweak to change the color code for Halloween. That is NOT the same thing as providing a user configurable interface to change the colors yourself. Those are VERY different things, and one of them requires a lot more development and testing than the other.

Further proof you have no idea what you're talking about. You have no way to definitively state if this is developed and not released, or still on their roadmap.

Addison1060

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'14 Jeep GC Overland, '23 R1S
Occupation
Actuary
Clubs

So fly out to the right IF there is a passenger which is not the case 99.9% of the time.
I don't think that percentage means what you think it means. Unless of course you daily drive your R1 and have a passenger once every three years. :)

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
LOL at the UI comments. I couldn't wait to get rid of my Model 3 once V11 rolled out. It was 20 steps backwards for everything.

The Rivian UI is great, except for two things: the maps (MapBox) are garbage, and the car visualization in the driver's screen is 100% worthless and a waste of screen space.

Last edited:

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
So fly out to the right IF there is a passenger which is not the case 99.9% of the time.

And a passenger is hanging up my phone calls?

When your scrolling through favorite artists and so on in Spotify it's one of the worst UI I've seen. The tiles are far too big. Reduce them in size and grid them for vertical scrolling. The horizontal scrolling is ridiculous.
You can hang up on a call with a quick push of the left scroll wheel. Took me a while to stumble across that one.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
LOL and the UI comments. I couldn't wait to get rid of my Model 3 once V11 rolled out. It was 20 steps backwards for everything.

The Rivian UI is great, except for two things: the maps (MapBox) are garbage, and the car visualization in the driver's screen is 100% worthless and a waste of screen space.
I love how I have to use the 'reflection' of the brake lights in the UI to know if they are on because you can't tell in the actual truck graphic. Agree that it doesn't add a ton of usefulness at this point.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
An option for the home deal- I reverse into my garage and use the mirrors to not hit the garage frame :). Doing what you listed would make it impossible for me to park lol.
Reverse would always activate rear camera and unfold mirrors,

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Since I've not received my R1T yet, and can't comment on the day-to-day operation of the vehicle, the hidden gem is the update with the frunk that possibly addresses the Vampire battery drain issue.

I'll be keen to see feedback from owners who had reported this issue and how the OTA has potentially changed/reduced the battery drain. If it fixes the issue, it's a major confidence builder for me.

Looking in from the outside as a preorder holder, I'd say the OTA is a notable one.
Sponsored