First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Just to clarify, are you saying it was from poor contact between the male plug "pin" (that turned black) and the Nema wall receptacle (that melted)?
Yes.

Now as to why it would sit there and work fine for years and then fail in this mode I have no idea.
Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I went with the Rivian Wall Charger and we put ours outside because we have a little home gym inside and the truck wouldnā€™t fit in the garage.

I live in Florida and have had the rivian since April and havenā€™t had any issues with the wall charger outside or with our storms.

I have a universal charger holder (cheap one from Amazon I mounted inside the garage because sometimes we leave it open and Iā€™ll plug it inside the garage when I donā€™t feel like walking around the corner šŸ˜‚

22446F8D-10AC-4170-B5CB-9EFC8EC37EFB.jpeg

5253E147-74E6-47F5-9473-FAB51D92AACE.jpeg

23748401-831C-4C52-A0BB-9B91BBE11817.jpeg
The light from the EVSE/charger is getting a lot of complaints from my neighbors. Iā€™ll probably use some tape or paint to black out most of it. Iā€™ll leave a small ā€œwindowā€ so I can check the status.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

The light from the EVSE/charger is getting a lot of complaints from my neighbors. Iā€™ll probably use some tape or paint to black out most of it. Iā€™ll leave a small ā€œwindowā€ so I can check the status.
Thereā€™s specific light blocking tape on Amazon. Iā€™ve used it on surge protectors and other electronics at home. Itā€™s very effective, but Iā€™m not sure how itā€™ll hold up outdoors.

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
All set with a 48A Wallbox Pulsar Plus and a pretty inexpensive 32A Tesla mobile connector with cable organizer ($250 total) that doubles as a wall unit so I can charge my two EVs at once (Tesla Model 3 and BMW i3 which will be replaced by R1S).

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 6F0AB84F-659D-44A1-94A8-21A1D75D3687

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Anyone have any information on a Rivian Wall Charger Nema 14-150 Install ? Just want to make sure I have all information as I already have a Nema outlet and getting my wall charger on Tuesday.

Sponsored

Lens

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade, Kia Sedona
I went with Emporia 48A EVSE hardwired. 60 amp breaker. Their app is pretty intuitive. So far so good.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here PXL_20220912_020305338

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here PXL_20220912_020244327

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here PXL_20220912_020051420

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I'm not getting mine installed until the end of September, so no pictures yet. I was going to go with the Charge Point Flex, until I happened to notice an "EV Charger" link at Enphase, my rooftop solar company website. Turns out Enphase just recently bought Clipper Creek. I ended up going with the Clipper Creek 64 amp hardwired charger (80A nominal(breaker); 64A usable charging):

https://enphase.com/store/ev-chargers/hcs-80-ev-charger

I've got a carport, not a garage, so spent $100 extra for the "ruggedized" version -- a heavier rubber hood on the charging nozzle and I think better insulation around the wall mount.

They have an online tool that matches your charger need based on your car. For the Rivian (11kW charging) they recommended the 48A model, and said if you're budget-minded, you could get by with the 42A. I went with the biggest because it wasn't that much more and I figured I could future-proof it and maybe add a little value to the house down the road. (It's no harm to have more charging capacity than you need; the car's on-board charger actually controls the process and will only take what it needs.)

I agree with others that hardwired is the way to go -- a plug is just an opportunity for something to go wrong. (As Future Truck's photos show -- yipe!) If I hadn't found Clipper Creek/Enphase, I thought Charge Point Flex looked like a pretty clear winner.

I was pretty excited about the Rivian charger (which is significantly cheaper), but Rivian won't sell it to me until my car is ready for delivery. And Lord knows when that's gonna be ....
(Meanwhile, I have another PHEV and EV to plug in.)

UPDATE: I see today that the Rivian gear shop is now selling the Rivian charger independently (for $800, as opposed to $500 included with a vehicle). Up until 3 weeks ago (when I last checked), it was unavailable. Too late for me. Already bought the Clipper Creek, and have the electrician scheduled.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Anyone have any information on a Rivian Wall Charger Nema 14-150 Install ? Just want to make sure I have all information as I already have a Nema outlet and getting my wall charger on Tuesday.
that will depend on your electrician and local inspector. Depending on how they interpret code and the Rivian manual they may approve it or they could fail it. Personally, I would just hardwire it.

gunslinger201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T and a '22 IS500 Launch Edition
Occupation
Professional Scapegoat
I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the only way to install the Rivian charger is to hardwire it. I guess you could run wires to the contacts inside the box and wire up a 50A plug to plug it in, but that seems more trouble than it's worth. My .02....

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but the only way to install the Rivian charger is to hardwire it. I guess you could run wires to the contacts inside the box and wire up a 50A plug to plug it in, but that seems more trouble than it's worth. My .02....

I've seen some folks derate it via jumpers and add a NEMA 14-50 pigtail at the end of it but as @CommodoreAmiga mentioned it may not be approved and direct hardwire is best

Sponsored

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I believe gunslinger is correct, that the Rivian charger can only be hardwired.

If you already have a NEMA 14-150 plug on that wall, then at least power has already been run to that wall location. That saves a step and probably half the labor. It should be easy work for an electrician to remove the NEMA plug and effectively turn that receptacle into a junction box, and run that power a foot or two further up the wall to hard-wire the Rivian charger above it. Or, if the NEMA plug is already high enough on the wall, just to remove the plug and install the Rivian charger right there in its place.

One might wonder, why remove the NEMA plug? Can't you leave the plug there in case you want to use it too? The answer is, you want that circuit to be dedicated to the charger, with no possibility of plugging anything else in on it. The code is likely to require that.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Curmudgeon
I've seen some folks derate it via jumpers and add a NEMA 14-50 pigtail at the end of it but as @CommodoreAmiga mentioned it may not be approved and direct hardwire is best
Yipe. Can't imagine why you'd want to do that. Hardwire is safer and cleaner.

gunslinger201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T and a '22 IS500 Launch Edition
Occupation
Professional Scapegoat
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Still not quite sure what I'm going to do, but it looks like my garage will be opening up soon, so this will be a moot point. Just need to get the charger installed now... :)
And it's in! A friend and I did it yesterday. Not the cleanest or the prettiest, but it works and that's better than pretty and not working.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here P_20220911_174335

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here P_20220911_174342

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I'm not getting mine installed until the end of September, so no pictures yet. I was going to go with the Charge Point Flex, until I happened to notice an "EV Charger" link at Enphase, my rooftop solar company website. Turns out Enphase just recently bought Clipper Creek. I ended up going with the Clipper Creek 64 amp hardwired charger (80A nominal(breaker); 64A usable charging):

https://enphase.com/store/ev-chargers/hcs-80-ev-charger

I've got a carport, not a garage, so spent $100 extra for the "ruggedized" version -- a heavier rubber hood on the charging nozzle and I think better insulation around the wall mount.

They have an online tool that matches your charger need based on your car. For the Rivian (11kW charging) they recommended the 48A model, and said if you're budget-minded, you could get by with the 42A. I went with the biggest because it wasn't that much more and I figured I could future-proof it and maybe add a little value to the house down the road. (It's no harm to have more charging capacity than you need; the car's on-board charger actually controls the process and will only take what it needs.)

I agree with others that hardwired is the way to go -- a plug is just an opportunity for something to go wrong. (As Future Truck's photos show -- yipe!) If I hadn't found Clipper Creek/Enphase, I thought Charge Point Flex looked like a pretty clear winner.

I was pretty excited about the Rivian charger (which is significantly cheaper), but Rivian won't sell it to me until my car is ready for delivery. And Lord knows when that's gonna be ....
(Meanwhile, I have another PHEV and EV to plug in.)

UPDATE: I see today that the Rivian gear shop is now selling the Rivian charger independently (for $800, as opposed to $500 included with a vehicle). Up until 3 weeks ago (when I last checked), it was unavailable. Too late for me. Already bought the Clipper Creek, and have the electrician scheduled.
Wow, that will be some big power. Sounds interesting until I saw the price of the charger!

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Hereā€™s my carport setup in Phoenix.

1) 1st gen Tesla HPWC
2) 1st gen Blink unit that was free with my first LEAF (currently disconnected but used to charge my old Tesla Roadster)
3) Old school Tesla-branded Clipper Creek CS-70 (which was also free with my old Tesla Roadster) wired for 70 amp charging, re-wired for J1772. Itā€™ll charge the R1T.
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_2493.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_2494.JPG
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_2495.JPG
Sponsored