Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Red Canyon/Forest Edge, 21” wheels
Occupation
Home inspector
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_7534.JPG

Several years ago when we redid the parking area I buried 2" conduit from under the deck to the back of the signpost. When the Rivian charger came I consulted with my electrician and installed
1 3/4 inch conduit from under the deck into the mechanical room and up through the bottom of the electric panel, a total of about 60 feet. There were 3 LBs involved to make pulling the wire possible. I blew a "mouse" and mason string through the conduit with a shop vac then pulled indexed mule tape the length of the conduit run. Reading the numbers on the tape got me the length of the wire I needed. At the post we cut off the 2" conduit underground using a Fein multi-tool with the blade installed facing towards the rear of the tool after protecting the mule tape with a smaller peice of conduit (don't forget to put the bushing on the conduit end), placed a round hand hole below grade and ran Carflex from that up the post to the charger and the outlet box. We hauled 2) pcs of #6 THHN, a ground wire and 3) 12 guage wires for the 110 V outlet on the post -all stranded copper. In the panel we installed a 60 Amp breaker (just above the solar panel input) and a 20 amp breaker for the 110v outlet. The buried conduit was properly cemented at the joints and capped yet I still vacuumed at least a gallon of water out before blowing the string. I pulled a permit for the underground and had it inspected when it was buried. I pulled a second permit for the charger install and had that inspected. The 25 ft cord just makes it to the front of the truck. I back into my space because I'm a firefighter. A friend has a Tesla model S, he plugs in (with an adapter Tesla provided) and gains 50-60 miles while we have dinner. My wife is thinking about a Minicooper EV and since I only charge every 3 or so days we don't feel the need for a second charger but the conduit would serve if we ever need one. I plan to use the 110V outlet for vacuuming cars (maybe I'll get a buffer too) and running my table and shop saws when I have milling to do for a job. Costs: Charger from Rivian $500, Materials $600 (+,-) Electrician for 3+ hours plus some #12 wire and parts? no bill yet but I did most of the work and running around. Plus the 4x4 PT post and some paint. I'd say at least a full day of work on my part maybe a little more.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

IMG_7534.JPG

Several years ago when we redid the parking area I buried 2" conduit from under the deck to the back of the signpost. when the Rivian charger came I consulted with my electrician and installed
1 3/4 inch conduit from under the deck into the mechanical room and up through the bottom of the electric panel, a total of about 60 feet. There were 3 LBs involved to make pulling the wire possible. I blew a "mouse" and mason string through the conduit with a shop vac then pulled indexed mule tape the length of the conduit run. Reading the numbers on the tape got me the length of the wire I needed. At the post we cut off the 2" conduit underground (don't forget the bushing), placed a round hand hole below grade and ran Carflex from that up the post to the charger and the outlet box. We hauled 2) pcs of #6 THHN, a ground wire and 3) 12 guage wires for the 110 V outlet on the post -all stranded copper. In the panel we installed a 60 Amp breaker (just above the solar panel input) and a 20 amp breaker for the 110v outlet. The buried conduit was properly cemented at the joints and capped yet I still vacuumed at least a gallon of water out before blowing the string. I pulled a permit for the underground and had it inspected when it was buried. I pulled a second permit for the charger install and had that inspected. The 25 ft cord just makes it to the front of the truck. I back in to my space because I'm a firefighter.
Wow, great job and a very clean install!

Phrogz

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
phrogz.net
Vehicles
'66 Ford Jeep, '01 SLK 32AMG, '10 Wrangler, '19 Q7
Occupation
Autonomous Driving Software
Mounted on the side of my garage, on/through an 8” concrete wall, on 60A breaker. (R1T too long for my garage with the workshop shelves I added.)

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 22CE8605-0601-4F25-B644-66A240A56926

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here 06E52DD1-CFDC-4D87-931F-85FC21927930

Installed a wallbox for me and my wife. Her x5 PHEV will be her next month and my Rivian when it decides. Probably install an outlet for her or another wallbox to make life simple.

Sponsored

mbooie

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I went with Emporia 48A EVSE hardwired. 60 amp breaker. Their app is pretty intuitive. So far so good.

PXL_20220912_020305338.jpg

PXL_20220912_020244327.jpg

PXL_20220912_020051420.jpg
Hi! Quick question. We have the same Emporia charger. I can not get it to sync to Rivian inside the Emporia app. Their support department had no clue. We can still use the charger but it would be nice to have it integrated. Were you able to add your Rivian inside the Emporia app?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Hi! Quick question. We have the same Emporia charger. I can not get it to sync to Rivian inside the Emporia app. Their support department had no clue. We can still use the charger but it would be nice to have it integrated. Were you able to add your Rivian inside the Emporia app?
I’m curious what you are trying to do here? I do not have my Rivian yet but installed the Emporia in preparation for it and currently use it for our Model S but have never tried to sync the Emporia App with the Tesla.

mbooie

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I’m curious what you are trying to do here? I do not have my Rivian yet but installed the Emporia in preparation for it and currently use it for our Model S but have never tried to sync the Emporia App with the Tesla.
We have our Tesla added into the emporia app under Electric Vehicles. It shows which car is charging the charge rate and also it is how I was told to schedule off peak charging. 🤷🏼‍♀️
When we added the Tesla it linked with the Tesla account with no problem. When I try to link the Rivian account it gives me an error that it can not find an account or the password is incorrect. I know that isn’t the problem. I just wonder if any one else has had any luck adding it. Rivian is listed in the app as one of the EV accounts you can add.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
We have our Tesla added into the emporia app under Electric Vehicles. It shows which car is charging the charge rate and also it is how I was told to schedule off peak charging. 🤷🏼‍♀️
When we added the Tesla it linked with the Tesla account with no problem. When I try to link the Rivian account it gives me an error that it can not find an account or the password is incorrect. I know that isn’t the problem. I just wonder if any one else has had any luck adding it. Rivian is listed in the app as one of the EV accounts you can add.
Interesting, I will have to look into that.

I have my Emporia set to only charge between off peak setting the schedule on the charger. Not using a schedule on the car. When I plug the car in, it just waits until the charger starts after 9 pm.

mbooie

First Name
Micah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Interesting, I will have to look into that.

I have my Emporia set to only charge between off peak setting the schedule on the charger. Not using a schedule on the car. When I plug the car in, it just waits until the charger starts after 9 pm.
Thanks for the info for the off peak scheduling! I just thought it was odd we couldn’t add the Rivian. I like everything integrated if possible nothing that really matters if I can do everything I need with out adding.
Thanks again for the information.

Sponsored

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

I'm still going through the 14 pages of this thread, but wanted to ask whether there's a way to dim this light or turn it off altogether while charging? I'd hate to advertise this so brightly in my suburban neighborhood.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I'm still going through the 14 pages of this thread, but wanted to ask whether there's a way to dim this light or turn it off altogether while charging? I'd hate to advertise this so brightly in my suburban neighborhood.
On the truck, yes. On the charger, no.

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

Lens

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade, Kia Sedona
No, I am unable to connect my Rivian to Emporia. This is what their rep said when I reached out:

"Correct - right now we do not have EV integrations available for Rivian, but hoping that comes soon. (Its just missing 1 out of the 3 components needed for that to work, so should be coming down the pipeline in the near future)"

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I see. Yea, I'm planning on just a 3ft run from my panel to the charger I want to install (50 amp Autel on 60am breaker) and plan to use 6 gauge THHN. I am just trying to decide if I need to use flexible or ridgid metal conduit or if I can get away with PVC conduit with heat ratings of THHN in conduit. I'll probably just use metal since it is a short run to make sure.
Looking back on this as I plan to get the same pass through. I think I'm going to go through the house though because I would be concerned about someone opening the garage door and ripping the cable out.
Sponsored