Sponsored

Shattered Rear Window - R1T

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was inspired to post this, not really sure if it will help anyone but it could be a form of stress management for me.

Quick bath for the car, mostly to wipe down the tonneau cover because it was looking especially dirty. Used my electric blower to dry things off and getting ready to call it a day. Rear window starts to spider and it grows to the whole thing while I'm on the phone with Rivian service. No debris or anything, I'd wiped off all the leaves, this was just the air pressure from a few swipes over the rear window. Will give them a couple days but ideally I don't have to drive over an hour to the service center 45 days from now like my first service appointment. What gets me is that the rear window never really got all that wet, its on thing if I soaked it with cold water while it was sitting in the hot sun but the only water that hit it was from the tailgate.

Rivian R1T R1S Shattered Rear Window - R1T IMG_0568

10/4 Edit: Updating for those who are interested, after several days of rain today the gear tunnel finally had some water in it. I'd been checking every day and it finally made its way in. I updated the service ticket an am hoping they can get it in sooner than next week. But in the meantime it's off to Home Depot to get a tarp so I can at least increase the chances it'll be dry by the time its in the shop.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow that’s crazy. I havent heard of anything else like this. Gives me concern going through the automatic wash. What was Rivians response?
That’s what I thought too. I can see if I got one of those gas backpacks and blasted it for a while. But it couldn’t have been more than two minutes maybe of indirect contact.

Rivian said give them today to come up with a plan. Im debating doing that plus giving them the day tomorrow or just calling tomorrow morning.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is it possible you had a rock or some other debris on the tonneau and the leaf blower blew it into the window? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Its absolutely possible but I’d used a brush to clean the tonneau (rinsed it first), rinsed it after cleaning then picked out a piece of large debris. I certainly could’ve have missed something but whatatever was left shouldn't have been dense enough to shatter anything let alone an entire rear. And in fairness to me, I don’t recall anyone telling me the vehicle was hand wash and dry only. I’ve used the same blower for years without issue Id already thought I was being unnecessarily cautious.

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Wow. Talk about a freak occurrence at the edge of the bell curve. You must be the first owner to ever encounter this bizarre incident.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Sure looks like there was an impact point from something solid. 🤷‍♂️

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
I think Rivian should seriously consider their glass quality. Or change their partner who provides their glass

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Impact in the upper left corner of photo? Manufacturing defect in the glass?

Let‘s see how Rivian reacts. I hope they make things right and replace it at no charge.

Rivian R1T R1S Shattered Rear Window - R1T 1664236199707

Sponsored

Timo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 2500 cummins | 1994 FZJ80 | 2021 Bolt
What a bummer.

It does appear to me that the cracks all converge to a single point, so I'm going to speculate that it got hit there, either by the leafblower or previously somehow.

I hope it all gets resolved for you ASAP!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is it possible you had a rock or some other debris on the tonneau and the leaf blower blew it into the window? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Looks like there is a point of impact where it spidered out of. This is exactly what I was thinking, leaf blowers are capable of pushing air way over 100 mph. A small grain of ceramic going that fast will shatter a window easily.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Thumb nail over the impact point. If glass is missing there, a rock or something hit it. If smooth, then something else. I’m betting impact and you have to shell out for replacement.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I use a pretty powerful electric leaf blower to dry my cars after a wash… nothing like this has happened. A lot of mobile detailers use them too. This is pretty crazy just adding to what we’ve seen with windshield and roof glass issues others have had. Sorry you had this happen, I would definitely be frustrated.

Enjen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M240i
Clubs

I think it's entirely possible there was a manufacturing imperfection in the glass when it was tempered. It's not uncommon for tempered glass to spontaneously shatter as a result of small imperfections in the glass. I've had it happen on construction sites numerous times.
Sponsored