First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I just pray to god it's not like the Ford LIghtning. I can't see out of one eye (And its significantly misaligned), and it does nothing but bing and bing if I even slightly look away. LIterallly, 100+ times in a 500 mile trip.
I hope it doesn't get enabled. No need for truck to keep telling me to pay attention.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I just pray to god it's not like the Ford LIghtning. I can't see out of one eye (And its significantly misaligned), and it does nothing but bing and bing if I even slightly look away. LIterallly, 100+ times in a 500 mile trip.
Hmm, I never thought about this type of problem, thanks for pointing this out. Another example of why all these "Nanny" features need to be easily disabled.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
I am excited for Dash Cam and the rear facing bed camera, along with towing profiles.

Good stuff, Rivian!

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Yes. The bed camera should be the back up camera when the tailgate is down.
You should be able to use it whenever you want. The view out the back window isn't great for checking cargo either. Being able to toggle that camera to check your straps periodically and make sure a big load hasn't shifted would be the most welcome use for me personally.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
-navigation improvements are constantly being worked on, looked into multiple integration options including waze but waze doesn’t have an open api.

-video and audio entertainment being worked on. The long pole for video is developing digital rights management in the software. No eta given.
I know the infotainment is Android Automotive AOSP... I guess that doesn't include the DRM components. If that's the hurdle I can't fathom them developing it from scratch and somehow getting the buyin from services that they've implemented it sufficiently.

Maybe someone should tell them they wouldn't have to worry about these boondoggles if they just implemented CP/AA.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
-bed camera will be available when towing and is part of a larger “towing update” that will include things like trailer profiles, etc. Eta for that update is summer
Hopefully this means the camera will also be available when not towing but tailgate is down.

As for the towing update, I really hope they implement some of the things available on the Lightning - Drivers+ usage while towing, adjustment of blind spot detection for trailer profile/length, and I'm not sure if it's possible but some sort of hitch assistance. I wouldn't normally need it but the current rear view camera on the R1T is just terrible for hitching up.

the_akrish

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Clinical Educator/US Army
this is great, thanks for putting this together... great info

travisketchum

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

People really just want the police notification. You can get it in google maps too, but Google isn't willing to sell this data to Rivain for ala-carte use.
Also available in Maps from Apple.

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
I know the infotainment is Android Automotive AOSP... I guess that doesn't include the DRM components. If that's the hurdle I can't fathom them developing it from scratch and somehow getting the buyin from services that they've implemented it sufficiently.

Maybe someone should tell them they wouldn't have to worry about these boondoggles if they just implemented CP/AA.
You seem misinformed. CP/AA didn’t support Netflix or any other video streaming options last I checked, so that is hardly a solution here. If anything, it makes a good case for why Rivian should be rolling their own infotainment like Tesla.

And AOSP doesn’t include DRM or other video encode/decode feature drivers because those are typically proprietary to the silicon vendor, and are only released to the device manufacturer (which would be Rivian in this case) under NDA. Rivian isn’t some schmuck downloading AOSP in their free time to play around. They’ll have no problem getting the hardware acceleration properly working for DRM if the chips support what the streaming services want.

Comparing a consumer’s experience getting AOSP to replicate phone-manufacturer levels of functionality on hardware that the consumer did not build is not really germane here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
teddyang

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Anything about customization of the instrument panel, so for example the navigation can be in the middle rather than the sensor output showing me what is near me? Also more efficiency data to supplement the last 15 minute widget would be nice.
nothing specific, he did say the UI is going through a re-design but that just might be the main screen.

OP
OP
teddyang

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Also available in Maps from Apple.
Is that new? I never caught into Apple Maps due to it being terrible when it first launched.

I was a heavy google maps user but went to Waze for the notifications.
Sponsored