First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Hmm that strap situation sucks. I was trying to order one but won't bother now until they fix that. Luckily my Raceface pad I used to have on my Ridgeline will fit.
Sponsored

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
I watched the reddit video again and see that he is getting a replacement sent. It's not going to help.

The video shows an exaggerated version of what I experienced. If you leave the buckle directly on top of the downtime, it places the straps in a position that allow it to immediately loosen. If you locate the buckle oriented to the side and then use the opposite strap to do the tightening, the buckles stays much tighter.

The problem that I had is that the pad still has no leverage when it comes to keeping the bike upright. So over time the bike begins to tilt to the side, and eventually that loosened the straps because they were being constantly pulled by the bike frame moving.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So whats the secret with locking the straps that hold on the bikes? Honestly, seems like a bad design and seems like they just loosen up. See this video as well: (1) Tailgate pad problem : Rivian (reddit.com)

I'm not thrilled with this setup...
Instructions say to do the velcro before tightening and indicate the loose strap should sit on top of the velcro. I'm guessing the velcro provides additional force against the buckle to keep it in place that you don't get if you run the strap under the velcro first. The reddit video doesn't match the instructions.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) 1693943322716

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
From that video it looks like they chose buckles that don't actually lock the strap down. That is like the most basic need on something like a bike pad 😣
If the buckle is oriented to on side or the other of the downtube, and not dead center on top, it will stay tight.

The video makes it seem much worse than it is. However, as I mentioned in the previous post, there is still a problem.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Instructions say to do the velcro before tightening and indicate the loose strap should sit on top of the velcro. I'm guessing the velcro provides additional force against the buckle to keep it in place that you don't get if you run the strap under the velcro first. The reddit video doesn't match the instructions.

1693943322716.png
What?? You got instructions? Mine never came with this!

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What?? You got instructions? Mine never came with this!
Guessing you just ripped this off the pad and threw it away :p
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) 1693943518970

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Guessing you just ripped this off the pad and threw it away :p
1693943518970.png
Yes Sir, I jolly well did! Damn! Back to rummaging through my trash (again)

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
From that video it looks like they chose buckles that don't actually lock the strap down. That is like the most basic need on something like a bike pad 😣
They attempted to cheat and use the existing guide straps as a method to ameliorate slippage, but they are no substitute for anti-slip clips.

That said, I’m going to try getting some anti-slip bar/clips and see if that fixes it.

If not, time to @ RJ on Twittex.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

1693943322716.png
This makes more sense AND is secure (strap doesn't slide) but is totally counterintuitive - leave it to Rivian to complicate a design! Maybe they thought this would be more secure/easier to use than velcro? I'm just not sure here. Thanks for posting the "instructions" that I never knew I needed! I'll have to explain it to my friends each time they put on a bike instead of them just simply knowing how to do it like every other pad.

PS - I'm still gonna use it!

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
This makes more sense AND is secure (strap doesn't slide) but is totally counterintuitive - leave it to Rivian to complicate a design! Maybe they thought this would be more secure/easier to use than velcro? I'm just not sure here. Thanks for posting the "instructions" that I never knew I needed! I'll have to explain it to my friends each time they put on a bike instead of them just simply knowing how to do it like every other pad.

PS - I'm still gonna use it!
Just tried that - same effect. It helps with one side, but the other side’s clip slides right out after a little jostling.

Also still gonna use it, just going to require some modification.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Just tried that - same effect. It helps with one side, but the other side’s clip slides right out after a little jostling.

Also still gonna use it, just going to require some modification.
I have yet to use mine, but there's a lot of options since they're just basic webbing straps.

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I have yet to use mine, but there's a lot of options since they're just basic webbing straps.
I just bought an infinite number of webbing clips on Amazon for about 11 cents. Should do the trick.

craigkay

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lamborghini Urus
Occupation
Retired
Is there a video or any other (visual) media that shows how to install the bike pad (step by step).

I just received mine today and I am really struggling to make it fit well. That’s not a knock against the product — I am just not very adept at these things.

Thank you!

Truffle

First Name
Truffle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Forest Green // 2015 Porsche 911 C4 GTS
Occupation
Forager
Is there a video or any other (visual) media that shows how to install the bike pad (step by step).

I just received mine today and I am really struggling to make it fit well. That’s not a knock against the product — I am just not very adept at these things.

Thank you!
You have to run it through the laundry first and dry it on high heat so it shrinks down and fits before installing.

Wentworth

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 Silverado 1500, ‘22 i-Pace
Occupation
Stay at home parent, former airline pilot
Mine fits like a glove.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T tailgate pad installed review: it's a winner (with a caveat) IMG_4919
Sponsored