Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I honestly think that 0-60 times will soon become an irrelevant measure of vehicle performance. Every EV can do something like 3 seconds, and we're down to splitting 1/10th seconds hairs now. I'm more interested in passing power, like 50-80.
I think driving dynamics will be the new headliner, and it sounds like Rivian has absolutely nailed it with the quad motor set up.
Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I honestly think that 0-60 times will soon become an irrelevant measure of vehicle performance. Every EV can do something like 3 seconds, and we're down to splitting 1/10th seconds hairs now. I'm more interested in passing power, like 50-80.
I think it will only hang on so long as it's used as a tool to convert the guys who still want to buy Hellcats.

Tesla gave me a recent Model S with Ludicrous mode as a loaner when my car was in the shop. I launched it once (full proper battery conditioning etc) and realized I'd never need to do it again. It's a party trick.

As you say, the best part of EV driving is that 50-80 zone when you are in traffic and want to switch lanes. I have to recalibrate my brain every time I drive my 4Runner because I can't commute the same way I can in my Model S.

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Numbers from Motor Trend:

Rivian R1T(20s; 21s):
11.6 sec @ 110.8 mph; 11.7 sec @ 111.2 mph
0-60 (20s and 21s)
3.1 sec.; 3.2 sec.

Hummer:
11.7 sec @ 105.4 mph
0-60
3.0 sec.
so the R1T is quicker down the quarter mile but slower 0-60. sounds like a toss up on the numbers. I wouldn't call that slower, like MT did.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Rivian
PASSING, 45-65 MPH1.5; 1.6
FRUSTRATION TEST*3.5 sec @ 222.2 ft; Not tested

Hummer
PASSING, 45-65 MPH1.4
FRUSTRATION TEST3.1 sec @ 208.1 ft***

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I think driving dynamics will be the new headliner, and it sounds like Rivian has absolutely nailed it with the quad motor set up.
Definitely. I have had "chill mode" on my model S for years but never tried it. Recently I switched and it's actually much better than "standard" unless you really need full torque. Flattening the acceleration curve actually makes it more pleasurable to drive in a lot of situations. Those are the kind of dynamic changes that OTA updates can provide and optimize.

Sponsored

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
As you say, the best part of EV driving is that 50-80 zone when you are in traffic and want to switch lanes. I have to recalibrate my brain every time I drive my 4Runner because I can't commute the same way I can in my Model S.
As a motorcyclist, my attitude to this zone in cars has always been "uh, yeah, that's cute..." My current V6 Lexus is okay for a car, but nothing to write home about.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
so the R1T is quicker down the quarter mile but slower 0-60. sounds like a toss up on the numbers. I wouldn't call that slower, like MT did.
Hummer gets 3 seconds if you activate WTF mode and give it a minute to get ready. It's kinda silly they report that as its official 0 to 60.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Hummer gets 3 seconds if you activate WTF mode and give it a minute to get ready. It's kinda silly they report that as its official 0 to 60.
MT didn't test on the 22's, which is what gets ~3.0. No idea what they tested the Hummer on.

Also, it really doesn't matter.

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Why I love MT's "Frustration Test"

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Rivian
PASSING, 45-65 MPH1.5; 1.6
FRUSTRATION TEST*3.5 sec @ 222.2 ft; Not tested

Hummer
PASSING, 45-65 MPH1.4
FRUSTRATION TEST3.1 sec @ 208.1 ft***
I found the original article for the Hummer EV: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-pros-cons-review/

Hummer's frustration test was at 1% lower grade and with a 2,500lb LIGHTER trailer! So take this with a grain of salt.
Rivian R1T: * 35-55-mph 6% grade acceleration with 7,500-pound trailer
Hummer: *** 35-55 mph, 5% grade acceleration with 5,000-pound trailer

Edit: my favorite thing in the world is to pass semis going up hill when a 2 lane highway offers an extra passing lane for traffic. So this stat is important to me :CWL:

also, I am going to miss having a manual transmission... and a loud exhaust.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
MT didn't test on the 22's, which is what gets ~3.0. No idea what they tested the Hummer on.

Also, it really doesn't matter.
no. They tested the 20s and 21s. I haven't seen anyone test the 22s.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
very cool and yes, totally agree with you on this!

Also, physics will dictate the ability to go from point-a to point-b, and at some point, we pass out as humans -- not good:oops:. And I agree passing power for defensive driving to pull out of situations and for that matter stopping power would be of interest.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
very cool and yes, totally agree with you on this!

Also, physics will dictate the ability to go from point-a to point-b, and at some point, we pass out as humans -- not good:oops:. And I agree passing power for defensive driving to pull out of situations and for that matter stopping power would be of interest.
When I did my First Mile drive and stomped on the accelerator - I did think I might pass out. Now I'm a 'bit' older 55+ but it freaked me out a little :CWL:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

It would cut about 10 mins from a 50% charge (18 mins vs. 28) if it allowed you to average 100kw higher rate over that 50%. For my use, it would save me an hour or two a year
I have never thought about it in this way but this really helps me think differently in regards to charging and size of battery.

The Max pack would save me a couple of hours a year at best. Not sure that is worth the extra money.

On the flip side, if the wife ever runs out of juice because she doesn't plan ahead properly, then the extra money might be well spent ?
Sponsored