Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
When it broke down and left me stranded, they treated me like crap, as if I did something out of the ordinary to break it.
I feel your pain!

Leased my Model S, ran over a pot hole and broke a strut.

10 months to get it fixed (with no car). Tesla (CA plant) didn't have any parts to fix my vehicle. They had to literally make them custom because Tesla already changed manufacturing parts with the 2015-216 refresh and no longer used the same strut assembly.

I knew this was a problem (read about the internet horror stories) and told Tesla that I needed a loaner car before I drove my car into the repair shop because the hold up was Tesla inability to supply replacement parts to body shops. At this time Tesla had yet to have any Tesla repair centers, everything was third party. Tesla CS assured me though (lied to me) that it wasn't gonna be a long turnaround time to fix my car. I even asked to get out of my lease early and I would get a new Model S because again I knew I was gonna be without my car for almost a year.

Worst part was when the repair shop had my car on the "special balance lift?" the new strut didn't fit. My lease eneded and the repair place called my just to let me know they had my car for 10 months.

I knew this would happen and leased a new car as soon as I dropped off my Model S, and again knew this was gonna be a mess and got a lawyer and Tesla cut me a check for my last 8 lease payments (since I didn't have a car).

Totally was a sad way to end my time with my Model S, and all Tesla had to do was let me lease a new vehicle and get me out of my car.
Sponsored

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it will only hang on so long as it's used as a tool to convert the guys who still want to buy Hellcats.

Tesla gave me a recent Model S with Ludicrous mode as a loaner when my car was in the shop. I launched it once (full proper battery conditioning etc) and realized I'd never need to do it again. It's a party trick.
But what a party trick in deed! ?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I feel your pain!

10 months to get it fixed (with no car). Tesla (CA plant) didn't have any parts to fix my vehicle. They had to literally make them custom because Tesla already changed manufacturing parts with the 2015-216 refresh and no longer used the same strut assembly.

I knew this was a problem (read about the internet horror stories) and told Tesla that I needed a loaner car before I drove my car into the repair shop because the hold up was Tesla inability to supply replacement parts to body shops. At this time Tesla had yet to have any Tesla repair centers, everything was third party. Tesla CS assured me though (lied to me) that it wasn't gonna be a long turnaround time to fix my car. I even asked to get out of my lease early and I would get a new Model S because again I knew I was gonna be without my car for almost a year.

Worst part was when the repair shop had my car on the "special balance lift?" the new strut didn't fit. My lease eneded and the repair place called my just to let me know they had my car for 10 months.

I knew this would happen and leased a new car as soon as I dropped off my Model S, and again knew this was gonna be a mess and got a lawyer and Tesla cut me a check for my last 8 lease payments (since I didn't have a car).

Totally was a sad way to end my time with my Model S, and all Tesla had to do was let me lease a new vehicle and get me out of my car.
Went through a lot of pain with a 2014 Tesla. I have the extended warranty which runs out next year. Without that, I would have gotten rid of the car. I just replaced my 3rd or 4th front upper control arm last month. That part never got better.

I keep trying to warn folks here of the potential early adopter pain. It's going to happen. Rivian may be a better company than Tesla (fingers crossed) but the way they are launching the car is the same - no dealerships, mobile repairs etc. Lack of service centers, lack of parts, longer repair times - it's inevitable that there will be problems.

Last edited:

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Hummer's frustration test was at 1% lower grade and with a 2,500lb LIGHTER trailer!
lol what? Love to invent an ostensibly standardized test and publish the results in a matrix for comparison while dramatically varying the actual test design between subjects. I'm glad this test exists, but get it together, MotorTrend.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
lol what? Love to invent an ostensibly standardized test and publish the results in a matrix for comparison while dramatically varying the actual test design between subjects. I'm glad this test exists, but get it together, MotorTrend.
I'm guessing this is because while they used a standardized 9,000 lbs for towing, the Hummer is only rated at 7,500.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'm guessing this is because while they used a standardized 9,000 lbs for towing, the Hummer is only rated at 7,500.
Ah - makes sense and thanks for clarifying.

It would seem fairer to have a "standardized payload" test that all vehicles could compete on, as well as a "max rated" payload test. I can see why that would add a lot of test complexity and hence why they would choose not to do it, but it's a bit misleading to publish a comparative chart as-is.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Here's an actual photo of the Motortrend comments section right now...

Salt_Farmers_-_Pak_Thale-edit1.jpg
Hey now. In fairness to the guys in the picture, they probably know how to speak a minimum of two languages where most of the Motortrend commenters can't seem to grasp one.

These guys are clearly just profiting off all the free salt.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Just GM putting their fingers on the scale per usual :rolleyes:

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I feel your pain!

Definitely hope Rivian doesn't need more than the disaster it would be for their off road rep to avoid ending up with service horror stories like that going around.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Meanwhile, here's your TIME Magazine Person of the Year....

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian R1T is Motortrend Truck of the Year! 256331127_621973718928446_7599693542754605133_n

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9,000lbs (6,500lbs or 7,500lbs) 2,500lb difference?

Regardless, I'm still surprised at how low the Hummer tow rating is. Wonder if the Lightning will hit 10,000lbs at any configuration?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Anyone else think its odd they left out last years truck of the year? The Ram TRX? I'm curios how it would have stacked up to these trucks.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Anyone else think its odd they left out last years truck of the year? The Ram TRX? I'm curios how it would have stacked up to these trucks.
If it wasn't new or significantly revised, it wasn't included.
Per our longstanding process, we gathered the year's all-new or significantly revised truck models in in one place, where our expert panel of editor judges drove, hauled, towed, and evaluated each on their merits.
Sponsored