First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Then, yes, charging. Unfortunate. Not Rivian's fault. And the line that the rep from EA sold them saying there were a lot of problems with R1Ts since our update was just to keep them off his back, and they bought it.

R1T is infinitely more capable than any Tesla; I can't figure out how they manage to stay mad... Oh, wait, that's right - they do it for the views. THAT'S why they stopped getting callbacks from reps for press cars.
Agree with your other points, but I'll just add the EA charging issue is the EXACT issue I had as well. So seems like it WAS a Rivian thing. So hoping for an update.. How do I do that?

Also, they pony'd up money for thier own R1T, not saying it's not for the clicks but you can't tell me other media don't pull thier punches of fear for loosing media rights. The opposite has been true for Tesla, conventional media bashing Tesla with fake headlines or out of context statements
" Tesla has most autopilot accidents!"
Omg, realy? That would make sense, they have the most AP miles on the road by far. Maybe compare an accident rate?
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I dont quite understand the hate. These guys own their R1T and really like it. The issue is with the charging network and its disjointedness. Tesla superchargers work something like 97% of the time. EA and other chargers work consistently in the 70’s % of the time. And, it takes lots of hunting and pecking to figure out where they are, and how fast they charge. How is it pIts a PIA. And frankly, if you’re like me whooes 4-6 hour drives in your EV regularly, thats a big deal.

my goal is to show people (and myself) that EV travel can be done with ease without the need for an ICE. The charger networks have to step up and make the chargers that are out there easy to find, readily available and ultra reliable JUST LIKE GAS STATIONS otherwise people will go back to their ICE cars as soon as gas prices go down.
Tesla has it nailed in terms of reliability, ubiquity, speed and Teslas nav route you through superchargers without any input from the user. Rivian needs to make it this easy!
The "hate" is a marketing mechanism. Just a youtuber team trying anything to get the clicks and push out videos for revenue. "Love my R1T" videos get 100 views. "Rivian bankrutpcy?! … says Elon Musk" videos get 10,000 views and pages of "I don't agree" comments.

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Thanks for summing it up for me. I have no EV yet, but I do have concerns about the charging infrastructure for road trips. It seems some people have no issues, and others have a lot of issues. If Rivian is still going to build out the RAN network, that would help. Tesla didn't build their charging network in a day, and no one else will either. And there will be more and more cars waiting at chargers as more and more get sold. But I know someone should buy based on what is currently available, not the hopes and promises about the future any company gives, wether its software or a charging network.
I'm being a bit winey. I should add, it's better than the alternative...

https://images.thestar.com/off8ouy9...er_chaos_at_costco_gas_bar/costco_gasbar.jpeg

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

R1T is my first full-EV. I've found EVGo DC stations (and app) to be easy to find and reliable.
But likely my experience is very skewed living in California with more mature infrastructure.

Sponsored

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Agree with your other points, but I'll just add the EA charging issue is the EXACT issue I had as well. So seems like it WAS a Rivian thing. So hoping for an update.. How do I do that?

Also, they pony'd up money for thier own R1T, not saying it's not for the clicks but you can't tell me other media don't pull thier punches of fear for loosing media rights. The opposite has been true for Tesla, conventional media bashing Tesla with fake headlines or out of context statements
" Tesla has most autopilot accidents!"
Omg, realy? That would make sense, they have the most AP miles on the road by far. Maybe compare an accident rate?
The only issue I've had at EA (which has been all my charging so far, unfortunately - 30 sessions), is the fairly frequent Unavailable stall, or, being capped at slow speeds, which seems to happen to everyone else's cars when it's also happening to mine. Shuffling to another stall will frequently get a better speed. I'd be willing to at least TRY to consider it was somehow mine or Rivian's fault, but of the three EA stations in my area, one is bullet-proof and has never charged at anything less than 100% of what the truck was asking for. That's what settles it for me.

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Thanks. I agree the EA in Bend, like most EA stations worked flawlessly for me and as far as I could tell the Launch Green R1T that pulled in next to me.
Overall I’ve been impressed with EA.
It was a month ago today that my Launch Green R1T charged just fine at that smallish (and full, on a Friday afternoon) Bend station. If that thing were to be out of commission, travel in or through Central Oregon would be dicey. Like many of you, I see the current fabric of DCFC charging as rather threadbare when it comes to CCS, especially in rural areas.

It's because of those holes in the network that I've picked up various adapters, including the TeslaTap Mini-80, the TT-30 to 14-50R, and, just five minutes ago, a 14-30P to 14-50R unit. I think of these options akin to a sewing kit for when I suddenly find a rip or hole in my shirt. Or worse yet, in the seat of my pants.

I don't want to find myself exposed at the wrong place or time. I have nightmares about that kind of
stuff! 🥵

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Gone are my days of having to stop somewhere to fuel up twice a week when all I am doing is around town driving. I'd rather be mildly inconvenienced on a rare road trip than have to stop at stinky gas stations all the time.
This. So many people talk about "the road trip scenario" when in reality it is a once a year type of thing. Certainly there are people who's daily usage requires frequent non home charging, but those are the exception not the rule.

I tell folks having a charger at home means I never wake up in a hurry to get out the door because I am running late and then realize I am running even later because I am low on gas.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
...I loathe searching for charging stations now with a non-Tesla. It was so trouble free.
It's going to be that way for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

Tesla has shown us how easy charging can be, but having a mixed bag of vendors trying to work in concert on a project is exceedingly difficult unless you have a central agency like NASA overseeing the project.

Case in point.. we were in Mystic CT yesterday, we took the Model 3. We found a nice restaurant we wanted to dine at. We pulled in their parking lot and my daughter noticed a bank of Tesla Superchargers in the (connected) parking lot right next door to the restaurant. So we decided to charge while having lunch. We moved the car to the next parking lot, found only 1 of the 13 Super Chargers was being used, plugged in to an open station and charging commenced immediately, with no drama, no ICE'd stalls, no payment or app needed, nothing... just like charging at home. Press the button on the charge handle.. the port cover on the M3 opened, and plug in to the car charge port. Now, that is how simple it can be.....

After the non-dramatic Tesla SC experience.. my wife asked how are we going to do that once you get your Rivian?

Last edited:

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Wrong. The RAN is a DCFC network, not level 2.

The Rivian Adventure Network
Over 3,500 DC fast chargers planned at approximately 600 sites.

Rivian Waypoints
Top off while you're out.
We’re installing over 10,000

Level 2 chargers
Level 2 Chargers
Level 2 charging is capable of delivering up to 25 miles of range per hour. Many public and home charging options are Level 2 chargers, including Rivian Waypoints, the Rivian Wall Charger and the Portable Charger. Level 2 charging at 240V is much faster compared to Level 1 charging off of a standard 120V outlet, but not as fast as Level 3 DC fast charging commonly used while traveling.
across the U.S. and Canada where you shop, play, stay and eat. Conveniently located near popular destinations, Rivian Waypoints will let you grab extra miles while you’re out and about.

https://rivian.com/experience/charging
Thanks for addressing the misinformation

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
It's going to be that way for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

Tesla has shown us how easy charging can be, but having a mixed bag of vendors trying to work in concert on a project is exceedingly difficult unless you have a central agency like NASA overseeing the project.

Case in point.. we were in Mystic CT yesterday, we took the Model 3. We found a nice restaurant we wanted to dine at. We pulled in their parking lot and my daughter noticed a bank of Tesla Superchargers in the (connected) parking lot right next door to the restaurant. So we decided to charge while having lunch. We moved the car to the next parking lot, found 1 of the 13 Super Chargers in use, plugged in to an open station and charging commenced immediately, with no drama, no ICE'd stalls, no payment or app needed, nothing... just like charging at home. Press the button on the charge handle.. the port cover on the M3 opened, and plug in to the car charge port. Now, that is how simple it can be.....

After the non-dramatic Tesla SC experience.. my wife asked how are we going to do that once you get your Rivian?

Seems like a Rivian is not for you if you struggle with anything non-Tesla and need to share your insecurity on a message board. The Electrify America network will not get any better anytime soon, and will continue to struggle as more and more CCS vehicles leverage the network. Looks like a Cybertruck is more your speed. You should probably cancel your reservation since you are easily frustrated with anything non-dramatic when it comes to charging.

You should listen to your wife and cancel your reservation.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Just because they are on YouTube doesn't make them an authority. I've tried to watch one of their other videos, it was difficult to watch and I couldn't finish. I'm not giving them another click based off of sensationalistic thumbnails, designed to get clicks. Someone has to keep in mind, do they have a real story to tell, or are they just trying to get clicks.
I’m with you. I’ve tried to watch these guys in the past but they come across as a bunch of whiners particularly the dad. I watched one of their videos where the dad complained over and over again about his cross bars not being delivered with the vehicle- they came 2 weeks later. This is after they waited over 2 years to get the vehicle to start with. Get over it and stop being so annoying. IMO they are the ones not cutting it.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
2,300 mile road trip from Normal to Portland with every stop save the hotels being DCFC - a couple of times a charger was out but i just moved to another one (you can't tell me this never happens with Tesla). That being said I couldn't take the most direct route home due to lack of chargers in Wyoming.

But as others have said this isn't a Rivian problem, and to couch it as such is lazy.

Don't get me started on the State of Wyoming. It is the North Korea of the US. If things go as planned, it looks like Electrify America will be on option through Wyoming for +300 mile range EV's by this fall. It is still risky since there is not a dense concentration of chargers like you find in Colorado or Utah, but it is a start.
Sponsored