Sponsored

Rivian Not Cutting It - In Depth

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Max Pack.

Problem solved ;)
Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Love em or hate them, they are spot on regarding the Tesla and non-Tesla fast charging networks and experience (speaking from experience).

I've been asked several times if I recommend the Rivian and the first question I ask back is "Will you ever need to charge on a road trip or go more than 250 miles round trip?".

If they don't, then yeah, if they do then the answer is usually "no".
This is ludicrous. There are multiple reports of folks on here doing multi-thousand mile trips with nary a headache. So a blanket statement like this is pure stupidity.

Certainly there are cases where "no" is the right answer (you live in ND, SD, WY parts of MT to name a few), but for anyone traveling along I-5 (for instance0 it's a complete non-issue. Is it as ubiquitous or convenient as the Tesla network, no - but it's also not a reason to not buy the rivian.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
This is ludicrous. There are multiple reports of folks on here doing multi-thousand mile trips with nary a headache. So a blanket statement like this is pure stupidity.

Certainly there are cases where "no" is the right answer (you live in ND, SD, WY parts of MT to name a few), but for anyone traveling along I-5 (for instance0 it's a complete non-issue. Is it as ubiquitous or convenient as the Tesla network, no - but it's also not a reason to not buy the rivian.

Mike, no one wants to know the truth!!!!

This kind of knowledge dropping will not help my campaign of getting whiney Tesla owners to cancel their Rivian pre-orders and get me closer to the top of the list!

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY

I said USUALLY, that's not a blanket statement. In my opinion the fast charging network is the biggest con to owning a Rivian.

I've also put about 2k on the Rivian (about 100k on Tesla 3+Y, mostly highway miles), and there are fast charger dead zones between Austin and Dallas. My trip that should have taken 4 hours took 9 including significant detours.

In Texas, I can't recommend a road tripping non Tesla EV in good conscious, and particularly Rivian (currently) given it seems to have more charging issues (whether that is EAs fault or Rivian's).

I'm sure it would be fine on the coasts.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Mike, no one wants to know the truth!!!!

This kind of knowledge dropping will not help my campaign of getting whiney Tesla owners to cancel their Rivian pre-orders and get me closer to the top of the list!
My bad, bruh.

Rivian sucks - I can't charge everywhere I want to regardless of whether or not I need to. I wish there had been some source of information I could have consulted about the realities of charging an EV in my area and the areas I intend to drive but alas I needed to wait until after I got my truck to make a video whining about it. I hope nobody discovers I was too dumb to figure this stuff out before I plunked down $80k for a truck.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I did detroit to south florida in the Hummer in two different routes. One was across West Virginia through the mountains with it actively snowing there. WV is often stated as one of the problem spots. We were looking at ~280 miles between stations and it was going to be damn close, but the L2 at the hotel we stayed at in WV was working, so it ended up being entirely a non-issue. After driving the Rivian for a while, I'm fairly confident we'd be able to make that 280 mile stretch, but we'd probably have to drive 5 under the speed limit to do it comfortably. I had planned it in the Hummer before we were really even sure the range would be enough.

It's true that the CCS providers will really need to keep up with growing their infrastructure over the next several years. But right now, the Rivian really should be able to do most routes with careful planning. If you're not the type to plan things and take thousand mile road trips regularly, you're not ready for an EV at all. Tesla or otherwise.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I said USUALLY, that's not a blanket statement. In my opinion the fast charging network is the biggest con to owning a Rivian.

I've also put about 2k on the Rivian (about 100k on Tesla 3+Y, mostly highway miles), and there are fast charger dead zones between Austin and Dallas. My trip that should have taken 4 hours took 9 including significant detours.

In Texas, I can't recommend a road tripping non Tesla EV in good conscious, and particularly Rivian given it seems to have more charging issues (whether that is EAs fault or Rivian's).

I'm sure it would be fine on the coasts.

Dave, you are exactly right. You should tell all your friends with Rivian pre-orders that they should cancel them or push them back a year or two.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It is all good, Rob.

Remember, happy wife, happy life. If she is has expressed doubts about the CCS charging network, you should listen to her. If you have a Rivian reservation, I would cancel since you don't need the stress.

Seems like the Cyber truck and the CCS charging infrastructure have something in common - you don't know if it will ever be available!

Be safe out there!
It's not going to work... I'm not canceling my R1T res.. I only have till NOV-DEC to go now :)

I do have a res in on the CT and Silverado too, but at this point the CT is looking more and more like vaporware (kind of like FSD). I'm not holding my breath waiting for Elon to open up the SC's in the USA for CCS... it's just something that goes against his whole being and you know how is is when he is told he has to do something....

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
T
Dave, you are exactly right. You should tell all your friends with Rivian pre-orders that they should cancel them or push them back a year or two.
Exactly. One couple is delaying (you're welcome), another friend is not because he will be into the tech and planning a road trip that works and multiple apps/networks (ABRP, EvGo, plugshare, EA, charge point, etc.).

To say non Tesla fast charging nerwork is going to work for everyone (now) isn't being honest. And I am not complaining about Rivian per say but the current state of fast charging and how a majority of people want to be able to use their vehicles.

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T

Exactly. One couple is delaying (you're welcome), another friend is not because he will be into the tech and planning a road trip that works and multiple apps/networks (ABRP, EvGo, plugshare, EA, charge point, etc.).

To say non Tesla fast charging nerwork is going to work for everyone (now) isn't being honest. And I am not complaining about Rivian per say but the current state of fast charging and how a majority of people want to be able to use their vehicles.

Dave, I appreciate you and your friends' support on my quest to get an R1T faster.

The irony is that there are a huge number of CCS chargers between Denver and Salt Lake, which are farther apart and smaller cities than the DFW metroplex and Austin. Heck, even in western Kansas there will soon be a secondary CCS charging option to Electrify America.

I am all in favor of the crap CCS network in Texas - although I had no issues driving to Houston from Denver a year and a half ago. Hopefully, this reduces the number of Rivian reservation holders in Texas and allows people in better CCS charging infrastructure states to move up the list.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I envy those here posting about good experiences with non-Tesla DCFCs.

I've been driving a Mach E for a year. I love it. I've put a lot of miles on it and have charged at at numerous EA chargers when traveling.

Regardless of what region I'm in, I can say that at least 25% of the time, the DCFCs don't work or don't work on the first attempt. I frequently have to unplug and plug back in or move to a completely different stall to charge.

Most reputable YouTube reviewers confirm this experience. A recent independent study confirms the chargers are not reliable.

Either you all have unicorn experiences or are full of it.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4077554

By the way, I noticed the people who came here to defend Rivian were silent when I asked what happened to the promised RAN network that was supposed to be up and running in 2021. You just kept arguing with anybody that complained about charging issues despite the fact Rivian failed to implement its own network within the timeframe they set.

Some people here are such Rivian fanboys they will ignore any shortcomings of Rivian and immediately trash talk any YouTuber that points out Rivian's flaws.

How hard is it to acknowledge both the good and bad aspects of Rivians? Any time somebody else, such as these YouTubers, points out the good and the bad, you immediately lose your minds.

Last edited:

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I envy those here posting about good experiences with non-Tesla DCFCs.

I've been driving a Mach E for a year. I love it. I've put a lot of miles on it and have charged at at numerous EA chargers when traveling.

Regardless of what region I'm in, I can say that at least 25% of the time, the DCFCs don't work or don't work on the first attempt. I frequently have to unplug and plug back in or move to a completely different stall to charge.

Most reputable YouTube reviewers confirm this experience. A recent independent study confirms the chargers are not reliable.

Either you all have unicorn experiences or are full of it.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4077554

By the way, I noticed the people who came here to decent Rivian we're silent when I asked what happened to the promised RAN network that was supposed to be up and running in 2021.

Some people here are such Rivian fanboys they will ignore any shortcomings of Rivian and immediately trash talk any YouTuber that points out Rivian's flaws.

How hard is it to acknowledge both the good and bad aspects of Rivians? Any time somebody else, such as these YouTubers, points out the good and the bad, you immediately lose your minds.

@ERguy thanks for sharing your experience with your Mach E. In my opinion, it is a matter of perspective when it comes to Electrify America and the CCS charging network. I think we all understand that the network has plenty of room for improvement - no one is disputing that. Like everything, nothing is good as the extremes think, and not as bad as the other extremes think.

Since I know the limitations of the network, I come from the perspective of "am I able to charge in a reasonable amount of time?" I may have had to move chargers to eke out more speed, but at least I got a charge. There is a big difference between a slow charger, or a location with multiple non-functioning units, as opposed to one that was completely down and prevented me from continuing my road trip. I have yet to read about someone being completely stuck and requiring a tow truck because they could not charge. I am sure it will happen, and soon, but have yet to read about it on this forum.

I don't think there are necessarily Rivian fanboys on this thread, we just disagree with the video that started this thread as too critical of the CCS network, Rivian, and way too Tesla centric. On the whole, I think the people on this forum have a balanced view of Rivian and are fair when it comes being critical of Rivian's over optimistic time lines about the RAN, or vehicle ramp up, service, or when people are selected to get their car.

Certainly not arguing with you, nor trying to get you to change your mind, just providing a little different perspective.

Cheers

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
@ERguy thanks for sharing your experience with your Mach E. In my opinion, it is a matter of perspective when it comes to Electrify America and the CCS charging network. I think we all understand that the network has plenty of room for improvement - no one is disputing that. Like everything, nothing is good as the extremes think, and not as bad as the other extremes think.

Since I know the limitations of the network, I come from the perspective of "am I able to charge in a reasonable amount of time?" I may have had to move chargers to eke out more speed, but at least I got a charge. There is a big difference between a slow charger, or a location with multiple non-functioning units, as opposed to one that was completely down and prevented me from continuing my road trip. I have yet to read about someone being completely stuck and requiring a tow truck because they could not charge. I am sure it will happen, and soon, but have yet to read about it on this forum.

I don't think there are necessarily Rivian fanboys on this thread, we just disagree with the video that started this thread as too critical of the CCS network, Rivian, and way too Tesla centric. On the whole, I think the people on this forum have a balanced view of Rivian and are fair when it comes being critical of Rivian's over optimistic time lines about the RAN, or vehicle ramp up, service, or when people are selected to get their car.

Certainly not arguing with you, nor trying to get you to change your mind, just providing a little different perspective.

Cheers
I do appreciate your perspective. I don't disagree with anything you just posted. I do feel like sometimes people who post any criticisms are rapidly shut down on these forums, but overall these forums are usually fairly balanced as there are some people the focus on the bad, some that focus on the good, and a lot of people that acknowledge both.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
... Either you all have unicorn experiences or are full of it...
Ah, yes, the ol' telling others that they're full of it approach to coherent adult discussion. Works every time.
Sponsored