First Name
Steeve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
infitnity
Occupation
physician
I am on the way to Yosemite from Portland OR, and at first all was good with the nav selecting a RAN in Roseburg, but then when it became evident that I would have a bit less than 30 miles left upon arrival at the RAN charger it swithced to a closer charger (non-RAN). I knew I could make it to the RAN charger so ignored it but it would not let me select the RAN charger instead of what it wanted. Is there some level of remaining charge that the Rivian wants so it won't let you select a charger beyond that residual range? Also, why won't the software let me choose which charger I want and over-ride its choice? Along those lines, has anyone experienced what happens at highway speeds if you drop below 10% charge? At what point do things start shutting down and it would not be safe to be on a highway? Thanks!
Sponsored

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I had this same issue with my latest trip. I put in my home address knowing I can't make it and wanted to charge at a EA station then make the trip home. It kept wanting to change to a different charging station that was closer but also slower because it insisted I wouldn't make it to the station. I was able to delete the charging station it was putting in but it was not happy about it and had a big red battery warning when I was going to arrive with 30 miles left. Made it no problem charged to over 40 miles extra to get home and it kept insisting I couldn't make it.

The Nav really needs a lot of work especially with routing and range.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
30 extra miles isn't much room for error assuming your next stop was Shasta with the elevation gain

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
On my last trip I did a 211 mile leg, and charged to 85% to make it. I inserted the trip into Apple Maps and then monitored the % battery along the way. My plan was to make it with 15% battery (~45 miles in conserve on 21 tires). I kept trying the nav in the truck and it kept routing me to EA chargers, even after I had passed them. Finally, after getting within 40 miles of the destination, it showed me arriving at 15 miles, or 3% battery. It then preconditioned for me. I ended up arriving with 14% and 40 miles left. The estimate in the truck did not fully correct itself until I was within 10 miles of the charger.

I think they are using ABRP under the hood and it has been way too conservative on all three EVs that I have owned.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I went east through souther Idaho at 85 mph. Was getting 2.3ish m/kWh. 3 days later going west and was only going 80MPH and was getting 1.6 m/kWh. The wind was 25ish mph. First Helping then hindering.

i am glad I had that extra 30 miles.

but if you know your area and know the wind and all other parameters. They yes do it.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
When you search for a destination the nav has an option to allow you to set your preferred minimum remaining range down to 1%. There is a quirk though that if you navigate directly without "clicking" on the location to let it plan the route, then you don't get the option.

By default I think it wants to have you arrive with 15 it 20%, but I wouldn't quote me on that.

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

For anything more than a simple point A to point B trip that is less than 225 miles, the Nav in the truck is pretty much useless. I do many road trips and have owned four EVs so far. Now, each EV has its own quirks and we as the owners have to learn those and drive/plan accordingly, but that being said, this is the least flexible and least usable of all the native nav systems.

In other EVs this has been easier to overcome as they had some option for using your own navigation.But with the restrictions in the infotainment system we are forced to plan and follow your route on the phone or have the pain of doing the “leap frog” version where everytimeone Stop is reached, then the next one must be programmed in instead of planning multiple (and I mean LONG road trip style) stops all at once and then just following those for the day.

R1Tims

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E GTPE,
Occupation
Consultant
For anything more than a simple point A to point B trip that is less than 225 miles, the Nav in the truck is pretty much useless. I do many road trips and have owned four EVs so far. Now, each EV has its own quirks and we as the owners have to learn those and drive/plan accordingly, but that being said, this is the least flexible and least usable of all the native nav systems.

In other EVs this has been easier to overcome as they had some option for using your own navigation.But with the restrictions in the infotainment system we are forced to plan and follow your route on the phone or have the pain of doing the “leap frog” version where everytimeone Stop is reached, then the next one must be programmed in instead of planning multiple (and I mean LONG road trip style) stops all at once and then just following those for the day.
I agree with your Nav assessment. Found the best way to utilize the R1 Nav is use it to go from Charger to charger. I use it to know what my remaining charge will be and can watch what the SOC is as I drive to figure the fudge factor on remaining. Plan the long trip on your phone.

Stack

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model YP, Rivian R1T (Limestone, 20" AT)
I am on the way to Yosemite from Portland OR, and at first all was good with the nav selecting a RAN in Roseburg, but then when it became evident that I would have a bit less than 30 miles left upon arrival at the RAN charger it swithced to a closer charger (non-RAN). I knew I could make it to the RAN charger so ignored it but it would not let me select the RAN charger instead of what it wanted. Is there some level of remaining charge that the Rivian wants so it won't let you select a charger beyond that residual range? Also, why won't the software let me choose which charger I want and over-ride its choice? Along those lines, has anyone experienced what happens at highway speeds if you drop below 10% charge? At what point do things start shutting down and it would not be safe to be on a highway? Thanks!
I also just completed a long cross country and am completely disappointed in the navigation. It wouldn’t let me choose chargers that best fit my route and I was even sitting next to a charger 15’ away and it routed me 50 MILES out of the way. Happened twice! The navigation and Drivers+ is pretty horrible and needs serious work. It’s a little, better since they bought ABRP, but not by much.

mcclajb

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Clubs

I agree with your Nav assessment. Found the best way to utilize the R1 Nav is use it to go from Charger to charger. I use it to know what my remaining charge will be and can watch what the SOC is as I drive to figure the fudge factor on remaining. Plan the long trip on your phone.
This is exactly what I do. I’ve been on several long trips now, so planning out the stops in advance and then using charger to charger navigation in the R1S has been my best option. Always starts off with the warning that I won’t make it, and that’s even when I have something like a 50-100 mile buffer. I just tell it to remove charging stops between. The projection finally corrects. I find myself constantly watching that little SOC projection as it starts ticking up a little at a time. A true feeling of accomplishment when I can tell the navigation system, “I told you so!” 😂

Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
On my last trip I did a 211 mile leg, and charged to 85% to make it. I inserted the trip into Apple Maps and then monitored the % battery along the way. My plan was to make it with 15% battery (~45 miles in conserve on 21 tires). I kept trying the nav in the truck and it kept routing me to EA chargers, even after I had passed them. Finally, after getting within 40 miles of the destination, it showed me arriving at 15 miles, or 3% battery. It then preconditioned for me. I ended up arriving with 14% and 40 miles left. The estimate in the truck did not fully correct itself until I was within 10 miles of the charger.

I think they are using ABRP under the hood and it has been way too conservative on all three EVs that I have owned.
I wonder if ABRP had been too aggressive vs too conservative if they would have survived as a company? A few bad stories of people getting stranded and people would have run from the app

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 2018 Raptor, 2020 M4
Occupation
Dad
I've done a 3k mile trip and a 500 mile trip, with another 2500+ journey coming in October. I find it easiest (best) to preplan my route based charging stops, then navigate to each charger ... versus plugging my final destination into the in-vehicle NAV and letting it determine my stops. There's more than one reason why this is a better way to route long distances: 1) It means you can employ other resources, like PlugShare, to help decide what charging stops are best (i.e., most likely to result in a good charging experience); 2) Helps establish at least mental contingency plans if a planned stop goes pair shaped (i.e., you've already thought through what happens if a charger on your route isn't working or full or whatever); 3) Compensates for discrepancies between estimated range between stops and any aero affects you've created (rooftop box, load in bed, etc) or encounter (strong headwinds, elevation changes). I say this because my GOM was always off (by at least 10%) when running a box on the roof at highway speeds, and the NAV's "estimated range at destination", while generally more accurate than the GOM, was still usually off by 30 miles of so; 4) Ensures the vehicle preconditions since you've already told it what charger you're going to (versus route planning insisting on a different charger). Sometimes I'll put in a general city destination, with no chargers selected, until I get 30-60 minutes out from my planned stop ... then I modify the route to be the charger, so preconditioning can begin.

I admit ... it shouldn't be like this. But, for now, it is.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I wonder if ABRP had been too aggressive vs too conservative if they would have survived as a company? A few bad stories of people getting stranded and people would have run from the app
I am the opposite, I avoid using it because it is just too inaccurate. It would tell me I could not make destinations, when in fact I had made them with 25% battery remaining.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am the opposite, I avoid using it because it is just too inaccurate. It would tell me I could not make destinations, when in fact I had made them with 25% battery remaining.
Even if you manually adjusted the efficiency number?

OP
OP

sdemeester

First Name
Steeve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
infitnity
Occupation
physician
Thanks for the advice! In other news, Rivian gear guard resisted efforts to steal my mountain bikes! Gotta love that. Creeps.
Sponsored