Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Am I too cynical? :rolleyes:

If Rivian will lose some profit on the pre-March priced orders, wouldn't they love those orders to be customer-cancelled and those vehicles go to people who'll pay $17K more? The bad part is there is no way of really knowing if they are dicking around with these buyers, maybe extending their wait times to 'unreasonable' levels since we have no idea what customizations they decide to build first. They are extremely vague in this area.

For every $1,000 deposit they return to an impatient customer, they gain $17,000+ on the next guy. I'm not talking about launch edition buyers who are guaranteed to get theirs first, just those customers who gave deposits after LE's sold out, but prior to March 2022.
Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I don’t think so. Just recently gave me the shop when they could have not provided, since I was max holder but wanted 4 motors. They need to sell vehicle, of course they like higher prices but being a young company need good word of mouth. My experience with their people has been great so far.

My shiny yellow R1T is pretty damn awesome. Of course there are a few things would love different but that is with all vehicles.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I understand your logic, but every week there are many pre-March orders being delivered. Both regular orders and shop choices. It appears what Rivian is doing is delivering those along with more recent orders which would help mitigate the losses somewhat.

It’s nearly impossible to know exactly how many max pack orders there were, and obviously those people and others who live in areas not near service centers were pushed out the farthest. It seems Rivian has relented a little on the proximity to service a bit, making recent deliveries to people 4 or more hours away from an SC. The max pack is its own separate issue.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
No one is "dicking around" with you.

You placed a non-LE R1S order in November of 2021. That means you have all the R1S AND R1T orders from 2018, 2019, 2020, and (most of) 2021 ahead of you.

Your place in line is at least #50,000. We know this from the S-1.

Rivian has so far produced fewer than 25,000 R1 vehicles as of today.

So there are still 25,000 orders in front of you.

There is no reasonable argument that you are being "delayed" for nefarious reasons. In fact there's no reasonable argument that you have been "delayed" at all.

As far as "extending their wait times to 'unreasonable' levels" ... as far as your order goes there is NO WAY you should have expected to have your vehicle by now, given the above facts. That would have been an "unreasonable" expectation on YOUR part. Don't blame Rivian for your own misconceptions.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

You placed a non-LE R1S order in November of 2021. That means you have all the R1S AND R1T orders from 2018, 2019, 2020, and (most of) 2021 ahead of you.

There is no reasonable argument that you are being "delayed" for nefarious reasons. In fact there's no reasonable argument that you have been "delayed" at all.

As far as "extending their wait times to 'unreasonable' levels" ... as far as your order goes there is NO WAY you should have expected to have your vehicle by now, given the above facts. That would have been an "unreasonable" expectation on YOUR part. Don't blame Rivian for your own misconceptions.
But conspiracy theories are so much more fun for some people! Facts are boring! 🙂

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager

Not quite what I was implying. You made a lot of references to my order but I made no mention of my order. Just the general fact that companies operate for purposes of profit and they tend to seek the most of it however they can. No one really knows precisely who's gets produced first. If you change color or wheels in config, that gives them an 'excuse' to throw you back into the line -- I get that, but how far back in line? a week, a month, a quarter, a year?. Its so purposely vague.

Needless to say, I haven't touched my order since they started warning about midnight deadlines to lock in your config. But still says Processing estimate.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Perhaps look at it this way.....the longer you wait, the bigger "discount" you'll get off the current pricing at the time of your delivery. That's good for you, bad for Rivian.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I don’t think so, or I would have been delayed or jerked around and I got my truck in September.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Not quite what I was implying. You made a lot of references to my order but I made no mention of my order. Just the general fact that companies operate for purposes of profit and they tend to seek the most of it however they can.
Oh, I see, so you're speculating based on NO specific set of verifiable facts and NO first-hand experience or information? You're just implying that all corporations are greedy so it's self-evident that Rivian MUST be greedy and unethical even though you can't provide any evidence that backs up that claim?

Needless to say, I haven't touched my order since they started warning about midnight deadlines to lock in your config. But still says Processing estimate.
Well, DUH. Rivian said they would update their delivery dates once every quarter. Not immediately when you lock your configuration, but ONCE EVERY QUARTER. This is a new policy, and this month's update will be the first under the new policy. You are being asked to lock your configuration early so that they CAN be more specific about production planning and delivery timelines. If they don't know for sure what you want to purchase they can't say for sure when they will be able to make it. All this is in response to customer demands for more certain timelines.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Now you have gotten my hopes up again. I am in the Florida Panhandle, five hours from the nearest Rivian Service Center. Even though my original Rivian pre-order date is November 28, 2018, my expected delivery date is just 2014. As a very early adopter, I have been quite disappointed that there is no "first come, first served" consideration at Rivian. If you don't live in or near a big city, you are just SOL.

If they are now delivering vehicles to folks four hours out, maybe five hours out will become reasonable sometime in the next several years.

I got really excited when Rivian started delivering vehicles. I thought that with a second day pre-order, I should be getting my R1T any day. Needles to say, I am not that excited any more.

Brian

Sponsored

fotoflux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Onewheel
Not quite what I was implying. You made a lot of references to my order but I made no mention of my order. Just the general fact that companies operate for purposes of profit and they tend to seek the most of it however they can. No one really knows precisely who's gets produced first. If you change color or wheels in config, that gives them an 'excuse' to throw you back into the line -- I get that, but how far back in line? a week, a month, a quarter, a year?. Its so purposely vague.

I don't know what's up with Florida, but there was at least one other very early pre-order holder on this forum that has "Processing estimate/2024" timeline for their order based out of Florida. I think it has a lot to do with your location and less to do with your order date. For example, I ordered early November 2021 and I have a 2023 window for an R1S, but I live near a service center and relatively close to the factory.

Edit: It's moosetags.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I don’t think so, or I would have been delayed or jerked around and I got my truck in September.
Likewise. My pre-order was November 2020 and AT THAT TIME I expected my delivery in summer of 2022. My delivery window (set in late 2021) was May-June, then pushed back to Oct-Dec because of the Ocean Coast interior problems, but I got my truck in September, before my new delivery window. And even then, this delay of only 3 months was still well within my expectations set two years previously.

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Perhaps look at it this way.....the longer you wait, the bigger "discount" you'll get off the current pricing at the time of your delivery. That's good for you, bad for Rivian.
True, but bad for Rivian is bad for R1 owners. Nothing against the company as I love nearly everything about it, just wish they were more forthcoming about estimates.

Reserving today gets you this: Deliveries for new reservations are expected to begin in late 2023.

Eleven months? Ok, so where does that leave those of us already in the queue?

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Yes, this. It is not going to get cheaper to make the vehicles, or at least if it does that will not be passed on to the consumer, aside from Tesla's recent price-gaming bullshit, vehicle pricing doesn't go down over time. So the longer they wait to fulfill the early orders, the more profit they risk losing. Their goal is to ramp and get rid of those orders as quickly as possible as the more ramped they get, the lower the cost of each vehicle to make (amortized over labor/infra costs) hence the less they "lose" on those and the more they make on the higher-priced versions after. Certainly they'd be happy to have an early order cancel and then sell the same vehicle at the higher price, but there's no need to do that maliciously. There will be natural attrition anyway. And there is the (intangible, admittedly) fact that those early orders, the people who stuck with them are STILL going to be the best salesmen they have. The reason they have a lot of those post-price increase orders is because of the people who "got the discount" being brand ambassadors. It's hard to understate how important that is, it does matter.

We all have a place in line, we're all going to get a vehicle. We don't need to make up conspiracies about why it's taking longer, or why someone else got something faster. It is what it is.

OP
OP
Rivianation

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Likewise. My pre-order was November 2020 and AT THAT TIME I expected my delivery in summer of 2022. My delivery window (set in late 2021) was May-June, then pushed back to Oct-Dec because of the Ocean Coast interior problems, but I got my truck in September, before my new delivery window. And even then, this delay of only 3 months was still well within my expectations set two years previously.
Great example. I'm sure they told you about " Ocean Coast interior problems ", but did they allow you to choose another interior color to shorten the wait? Many will pick the config that gets the vehicle delivered faster. At this point, I'll take what they make. You can't really go wrong with any config. lol
Sponsored