First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I was in the July-Sept window and they gave me a new Oct-Dec window. Nov 2020 order.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I spoke to CS yesterday because I was in the original July/September window and have not heard anything. I see a lot of April/May window people being told November time frames and wanted to get a confirmation it'll be 2023 since I assumed it was basically just shifting everything right. They told me it's entirely possible I will be moved up to the same new window as people who were originally moths ahead of me. CS said proximity is being weighted heavier than in the last set of estimates and California in general is sitting pretty high on all the metrics they weigh. I am only about 20 minutes from the South SF SC, so I guess we will see this week.

My wife runs operations for a startup in SF and thinks Rivian communications and CS leadership is completely dysfunctional. She said generally you need to have the communications in final draft form when you send out something saying you will provide an update over the next two weeks. All indicators point to poor cross functional communication between planning and the comms team. It also doesn't make any sense that they didn't send out any communication they would not delivery on time by 3+ months until after they completely missed the entire April/May window and were telling May folks up through the final week they were delivering to customers and no change. There is a level of incompetence here that is stunning... they should know well before May wk 5 you are pushing initial customer deliveries to September. Component delivery commitments and line planning doesn't happen days in advance of actual input.
totally agree with your wife. i work in comms and operations for a software company and there is definitely major signs of dysfunction and poor cross-functional organization OR its completely by design. not sure whats worse.

doing great customer communications is not easy. unfortunately, Rivian is an example of how poorly it can go.

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

My wife runs operations for a startup in SF and thinks Rivian communications and CS leadership is completely dysfunctional...
I completely agree with your wife about this.

My sense is that their head of customer engagement (Tony Caravano) is out of touch and is focused on other things than customer engagement. He would benefit significantly from refocusing on how and what he is communicating to the customers.

The emails he has sent out thus far say just about nothing. Just because Rivian sends something out doesn't equate to actually informing or being responsive to the customer community. It actually is having an opposite effect of just pissing off customers more.

I believe they view much of lack of transparency voiced herein as simply as fanboys and small community of forum population and not the customer base as a whole.

Unlike many of you, my order is 11/21 so its been less than a year and I knew going in that it would take bit of time. The problem is that rather than being straight and transparent about production progress, we get Rivian Stories that only show the "good" and not the "bad". The only bad I have ever heard from Rivian is during the earnings call regarding supply chain constraints.

I realize that Rivian doesn't want to show sausage being made with all the ups and downs - completely agree. Still, that doesn't mean that you cannot communicate in a manner where dates are kept and show commitments to the customer community. Promises made - promises kept.

Personally, I do not share the frustrations that many on this forum has but I am significantly disappointed by Rivian's execution of their business - both as a stockholder and a future customer.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Why is it that one needs a World Bank interpreter to figure out a piece of Rivian correspondence?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Why is it that one needs a World Bank interpreter to figure out a piece of Rivian correspondence?
Theory: They're big fat fibbers...
Sponsored