Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

A few weeks back we were traveling over the Santiam Pass here in Oregon and I hit a patch of ice, the truck got a little squirrely. I then read on the forms that others were less than impressed by the AT20's in packed snow / ice. So I decided to get a set of snow tires for the rig. I have Blizzaks on my crosstrek, but decided on the Nokians based on posts here and elsewhere.

I ordered the tires from Amazon since Simple Tire didn't have the Rivian listed, which precluded me booking an install appointment, which means I had to ship the tires directly to myself and they were more expensive that route than going w/ Amazon. Les Schwab did the install ($203 - OUCH!)

Shortly after ordering the tires i read about the upcoming snow mode. Had I seen that before I ordered I might have held off - but hindsight is 20/20 etc.

In any case, tires showed up Monday, I had them installed Tuesday. Drove the truck about 70 miles one way down I-5 Yesterday to visit family. Hard to tell if there was range impact as it was blowing 20mph+ and about 20 degrees out (so, the range was definitely impacted - averaged about 1.65 m/kWh, but not sure how much of that was due to the tire vs the weather). Ride and road noise didn't seem affected at all compared to AT 20s.

Starting yesterday afternoon we got a bit of an ice storm. The roads were packed dry "snow" (more like crush ice pellets). Took the truck into town to see a concert. More "snow" fell while we were in venue so the roads were well covered, and definitely slippery - not like bowling lane slippery, but definitely slick. We took the truck through the Portland west hills w zero issue. No slipping or loss of traction. Very confident ride. (I chose this route because it was the most difficult way home and typically with weather like this it's a graveyard of abandoned cars from folks who got caught out w/o chains or snow tires)

Then we went into a parking lot and I confidently drifted a bunch of corners - the truck would slide a bit, but never broke loose. Was very fun honestly.

Finally, we live up a bit of a hill,. Normally in weather like this we drive over a sidewalk that covers a dead end where our house is rather than make a big square going up a hill, then down it, then onto our street. Turned onto the hill w/ zero issues. I actually stopped in the middle of the hill. Truck held its position well, then I easily started from a dead stop. No issues on the descent either.

Certainly not the most extreme conditions, but I have zero concerns taking the truck up to Mt. Hood for weekend adventures where I was a bet reticent after the Santiam Pass experience. Not sure how well it would have done w/ the AT20s and Snow Mode alone, I imagine pretty well, but to me the tires are just another form of insurance and if something does end up going sideways down the road at least I won't have to question what would have happened had I installed them.
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Did you get the studded version?

In my experience the AT20s have been great, been up and down to Meadows at least 8 times over the last couple weeks and the roads haven't been great. Been more than happy. That said no way in hell I would drive them on the roads up here in Sandy. You really need studs or chains for this garbage.

OP
OP
mgc0216

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Did you get the studded version?

In my experience the AT20s have been great, been up and down to Meadows at least 8 times over the last couple weeks and the roads haven't been great. Been more than happy. That said no way in hell I would drive them on the roads up here in Sandy. You really need studs or chains for this garbage.
Non studded version. If it was bad enough that I'd need studs, I'm not going anywhere.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Non studded version. If it was bad enough that I'd need studs, I'm not going anywhere.
I hear that but for me if there is fresh snow I must go!!

I considered the studded version, maybe after I snag a set of 21s so I can pop them on if I want to road trip, for example I expect to need to go to San Diego in late Jan.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Thanks for the review - just can't bring myself to spend close to $500 for new snow tires when I spent less than half this for my Blizzak DM V2's on my Explorer.

I plan on putting these on my stock 22's as soon as I have it which have much better specs than the Blizzak's and lower price than the Nokians.

MICHELIN X-Ice Snow - Car Tire | MICHELIN USA (michelinman.com)

Sponsored

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
In my experience the stock AT20s have been crap on the slick roads around Hood. A couple of days before xmas i was coming back from coaching @ meadows right about snow bunny, where the road pitches up "you could see the sheen on the road", I had to come to a complete stop due to the greatest snow vehicle ever produced, "the mighty Prius" was at a forward standstill sliding left into oncoming traffic. The R1T was not fairing any better and started to slide in the same direction, I gave it enough pedal to get the 2 passenger side tires in the soft stuff on the side and got around them before I became part of the collision that ensued. Got home and ordered some Firestone winterforce LT's . Had them installed the following Monday and have been very happy since. I was hoping I would not have to go the route of dedicated snows but such is life.

Rivian R1T R1S Review: Nokian Hakkapelitta LT3 Winter Tires (Non-Studded) on Rivian R1T Winterforce1

Rivian R1T R1S Review: Nokian Hakkapelitta LT3 Winter Tires (Non-Studded) on Rivian R1T Winterforce2

Rivian R1T R1S Review: Nokian Hakkapelitta LT3 Winter Tires (Non-Studded) on Rivian R1T Winterforce3

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
I purchased the same Nokians -- absolutely love them, best winter tires I have ever had. So confidence-inspiring. We had a pretty good storm in the Tahoe area, and the tires never broke a sweat.

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
I got the LT3s (non-studded) on my R1T about a month ago and have been very impressed with them so far. We've had multiple feet of snow over the last couple weeks and I haven't had any issues and they are an improvement over the stock ATs.

The Nokians are a tiny bit louder, but only noticeable on certain road conditions. Hard to tell the impact on range since the temps have been pretty cold for weeks - my range is worse than before but could be the tires, the cold or a combo of both. I'm guessing it's more the cold weather and my generally short trips.

Great tires!

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
A few weeks back we were traveling over the Santiam Pass here in Oregon and I hit a patch of ice, the truck got a little squirrely. I then read on the forms that others were less than impressed by the AT20's in packed snow / ice. So I decided to get a set of snow tires for the rig. I have Blizzaks on my crosstrek, but decided on the Nokians based on posts here and elsewhere.

I ordered the tires from Amazon since Simple Tire didn't have the Rivian listed, which precluded me booking an install appointment, which means I had to ship the tires directly to myself and they were more expensive that route than going w/ Amazon. Les Schwab did the install ($203 - OUCH!)

Shortly after ordering the tires i read about the upcoming snow mode. Had I seen that before I ordered I might have held off - but hindsight is 20/20 etc.

In any case, tires showed up Monday, I had them installed Tuesday. Drove the truck about 70 miles one way down I-5 Yesterday to visit family. Hard to tell if there was range impact as it was blowing 20mph+ and about 20 degrees out (so, the range was definitely impacted - averaged about 1.65 m/kWh, but not sure how much of that was due to the tire vs the weather). Ride and road noise didn't seem affected at all compared to AT 20s.

Starting yesterday afternoon we got a bit of an ice storm. The roads were packed dry "snow" (more like crush ice pellets). Took the truck into town to see a concert. More "snow" fell while we were in venue so the roads were well covered, and definitely slippery - not like bowling lane slippery, but definitely slick. We took the truck through the Portland west hills w zero issue. No slipping or loss of traction. Very confident ride. (I chose this route because it was the most difficult way home and typically with weather like this it's a graveyard of abandoned cars from folks who got caught out w/o chains or snow tires)

Then we went into a parking lot and I confidently drifted a bunch of corners - the truck would slide a bit, but never broke loose. Was very fun honestly.

Finally, we live up a bit of a hill,. Normally in weather like this we drive over a sidewalk that covers a dead end where our house is rather than make a big square going up a hill, then down it, then onto our street. Turned onto the hill w/ zero issues. I actually stopped in the middle of the hill. Truck held its position well, then I easily started from a dead stop. No issues on the descent either.

Certainly not the most extreme conditions, but I have zero concerns taking the truck up to Mt. Hood for weekend adventures where I was a bet reticent after the Santiam Pass experience. Not sure how well it would have done w/ the AT20s and Snow Mode alone, I imagine pretty well, but to me the tires are just another form of insurance and if something does end up going sideways down the road at least I won't have to question what would have happened had I installed them.
Thanks for taking the time to post this review. I just got the 22" Nokian Hakkapelitta 10 SUV installed on my R1S. https://www.nokiantires.com/snow-winter-tires/nokian-tyres-hakkapeliitta-10-suv/ Way too much tire for an average day in Seattle but very limited choices for winter tires on the 22" rims that you can find out there right now. Will be good for trips to the ski hills, passes etc. I'll post a review of them when I have had a chance to take it out in some serious snow.

Rivian R1T R1S Review: Nokian Hakkapelitta LT3 Winter Tires (Non-Studded) on Rivian R1T 20230104_104749
Rivian R1T R1S Review: Nokian Hakkapelitta LT3 Winter Tires (Non-Studded) on Rivian R1T 20230104_150956
Rivian R1T R1S Review: Nokian Hakkapelitta LT3 Winter Tires (Non-Studded) on Rivian R1T 20230104_162553

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the review - just can't bring myself to spend close to $500 for new snow tires when I spent less than half this for my Blizzak DM V2's on my Explorer.

I plan on putting these on my stock 22's as soon as I have it which have much better specs than the Blizzak's and lower price than the Nokians.

MICHELIN X-Ice Snow - Car Tire | MICHELIN USA (michelinman.com)
I paid $1,200 shipped and installed for LT3s on my truck.

SimpleTire seems to have some sort of stock for some reason:
https://simpletire.com/brands/nokia...=Del3&curationSource=none&productPos=2&rad=DE

Last edited:

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
...Got home and ordered some Firestone winterforce LT's . Had them installed the following Monday and have been very happy since.

Winterforce2.jpg
I just ordered the 20" Winterforce LT to replace the spare tire Rivian removed from my config. I'm mounting it on a Ram wheel this upcoming weekend. I figure in time I'll get another 3 wheels/tires and that will be my winter set.

How would you rate the Winterforce compared to the Pirelli 20" AT's? They are reasonably priced and get pretty favorable reviews on most tire sites.

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
I just ordered the 20" Winterforce LT to replace the spare tire Rivian removed from my config. I'm mounting it on a Ram wheel this upcoming weekend. I figure in time I'll get another 3 wheels/tires and that will be my winter set.

How would you rate the Winterforce compared to the Pirelli 20" AT's? They are reasonably priced and get pretty favorable reviews on most tire sites.
The firestones are so much better than the stock AT's, night and day diff. BTW, the local Firestone dealer told me the winterforce LT is the same compound as the blizzak LT only diff is the tread pattern, (he sells both).

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
Unfortunately they don’t make them in the size I need (22s) and the other Nokians I’ve found were all $450.

I went with the Michelin X-Ice 275/50R22 and now I just need a truck!

937C9813-A4FC-47D8-981C-F5BA74796479.jpeg

102D8E60-0F70-4F97-80C2-11B2E6034ADE.jpeg
We have those on my wife's Y, great snows.

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
Unfortunately they don’t make them in the size I need (22s) and the other Nokians I’ve found were all $450.

I went with the Michelin X-Ice 275/50R22 and now I just need a truck!
We have those on my wife's Y, great snows.
Same here, we have the X-Ice on our Y and they are great. The Y itself can be a little squirrelly in the snow but that’s another story…
Sponsored