Sponsored

Poll - What kind of replacement tires are you most interested in?

For replacement Tire options, what best describes your interests?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
To get more accurate responses, recommend changing the poll to “for those who have 20” AT mounted already” … that way you have clean responses vs. mixing in 21 and 22” variants.
Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

What do you think of this (no reviews on Tirerack yet)?
Toyo OC R/T Trail
$ 345 ea - TOYO OPEN COUNTRY R/T TRAIL:

Size / UTQG275/60R20 (33") / 600 AB
Weight43 pounds
Load / PSI115T (2,679) / 44
Width9"
Warranty45k
Estimate MPK / Range2.3 / 290 miles

1711642780863-pl.png
I can't respond to your query with any type of experience with this particular tire. Toyo is a decent brand. It can't hurt to try them out, for sure. The weight is great for an AT (though with a grain of salt: weight is one part of many parts of the equation regarding efficiency, if that's what you're after).

I'd weigh your goals with your needs and look for a tire that way. Are you going to be doing off-roading? How intensely? Do you have any other requirements for an AT? Do you *need* an all-terrain tire?

I, personally, took a gamble on the Nokian nAT Outposts. Back when I did that, they not only didn't have any reviews being used on Rivians, but were hard to come by, due to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict (apparently Nokian does a lot of manufacturing in Ukraine). But on paper, they looked good to me, and checked all of my boxes. Which isn't necessarily an endorsement for the nATs insofar as it's an endorsement for taking a chance based on what you're looking for!

Either way, it always helps to post your experience back to the forums for more to make educated decisions. Let us know what you decide and good luck!

OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

I can't respond to your query with any type of experience with this particular tire. Toyo is a decent brand. It can't hurt to try them out, for sure. The weight is great for an AT (though with a grain of salt: weight is one part of many parts of the equation regarding efficiency, if that's what you're after).

I'd weigh your goals with your needs and look for a tire that way. Are you going to be doing off-roading? How intensely? Do you have any other requirements for an AT? Do you *need* an all-terrain tire?

I, personally, took a gamble on the Nokian nAT Outposts. Back when I did that, they not only didn't have any reviews being used on Rivians, but were hard to come by, due to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict (apparently Nokian does a lot of manufacturing in Ukraine). But on paper, they looked good to me, and checked all of my boxes. Which isn't necessarily an endorsement for the nATs insofar as it's an endorsement for taking a chance based on what you're looking for!

Either way, it always helps to post your experience back to the forums for more to make educated decisions. Let us know what you decide and good luck!
Thanks, sorry I think I conflated things, Polar mentioned interest in the XTs...at this point I'm happy with 20" OEM tires and not looking to jump ship yet...Toyo R/T Trail does look interesting though.

OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Poll will close in a week....

For those more interested in the LT275/65R20 heavy duty tires, is there a MPK cutoff you have in mind?
A grade would be 50-55# (~2.0 MPK)
B grade would be 56-60# (1.9 MPK)
C grade would be >61# (<1.8 MPK)

OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Poll closes today, thanks to all participants (88):
41% are looking for LT size
33% staying with OEM Pirelli or similar
26% looking for lightweight/high MPK

Sponsored

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’m hoping more off-road options will be made available for the 21” wheels. I should have checked alternative tire options before locking in with the 21” wheels.
I went from 20 to 21. It is a significant improvement in terms of noise, ride on the roads, range, efficiency etc. so may be just sticking with 21s.

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I really just want an AS tire in 275/65/20 that’s not an LT tire so it’s lighter. Nobody seems to make one.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Going Nokian Outpost nAT tires. I've put too many holes in my Pirellis off roading and want something more purpose built.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Just for winter right? Those don’t look suitable for above 50-60F…
Year round. I've had Falken Wildpeak AT3's and BF Goodrich All Terrains on my previous vehicle. Falkens were my preferred of the two, but am keen on giving the Nokians a shot with my Rivian. I also feel they will fare better offroad, due to the Kevlar like layer.

Sponsored

Dmartin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad - 21' Mach-e - 22' Model 3
Occupation
Electric Utilities
Year round. I've had Falken Wildpeak AT3's and BF Goodrich All Terrains on my previous vehicle. Falkens were my preferred of the two, but am keen on giving the Nokians a shot with my Rivian. I also feel they will fare better offroad, due to the Kevlar like layer.
I run falken At3W's on some aftermarket 20's. Its a big range hit from my 21's, and they are louder for sure, but they are excellent tires paired with this truck. Your mileage will drop to about 2.0-2.1 in perfect weather @70ish mph, and 1.8ish around town. But if the range his isn't a huge deal for where you are going, they perform excellent.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I run falken At3W's on some aftermarket 20's. Its a big range hit from my 21's, and they are louder for sure, but they are excellent tires paired with this truck. Your mileage will drop to about 2.0-2.1 in perfect weather @70ish mph, and 1.8ish around town. But if the range his isn't a huge deal for where you are going, they perform excellent.
Range isn't a huge thing for me, the current 20's I have, give me more than enough even on some of the rare multi day road trips I embark on.

The stock 20's are likely far better canyon rippers than the Nokians will be, but the Rivian has performance to spare, so it shouldn't be too noticeable.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Also, I loved my last set of Falkens, they were night and day better than the BFGs

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

OP
OP
ksurfier

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Nokian Outpost nATs are definitely capable year round. In fact, my 275/60R20s are almost as efficient as my 275/55R21 OEM Pirellis in the same weather, once they've been broken in' a bit.

If you read up on Nokian's website: https://www.nokiantires.com/all-terrain-tires/nokian-tyres-outpost-nat/

These are pretty amazingly built for all purposes, and engineered to be suitable for EVs.
Ok thanks - Wasn’t sure saw something about 45f so was thinking it’s a softer compound more for winter, the 33” size looks really good at only 46#…I might look at Open Country R/T Trail too since it’s a few pounds lighter…
Sponsored